Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:29 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times

Advertisements

A fight broke out in my neighborhood a few months back. This guy ALWAYS walks his female pitbull (on chain) and male pitbull without a chain. Well this guy was outside with his kids and he told the dog owner to put BOTH dogs on a chain. Well, the dog owner didn't take this to well and words ensued, but luckily people defused the situation. But there is no reason why someone should have to argue with someone about something that is just plain common sense.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:42 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Let me start off by saying I am a dog lover. I have a Labrador Retriever I rescued from Animal Control. I grew up with two golden retrievers also, so I have always had dogs as companions and NEVER as guard dogs like so many people do.

All of my dogs were loving and friendly, never aggressive, because they lived with the family, in the house. We walked them and took care of them religiously.

Now, a little while back my lovely Lab, out of nowhere, started to growl and bark at this lady who was walking in front of us. For no obvious reason at all! It was out of the blue and unprevoked on the lady's behalf. I was so shocked and embarassed....but it opened my eyes to realize that the dogs WE see as owners are different than what strangers see AND experience. Dogs are animals and thus they are unpredictable. Certain things or people can be perceived as threats (erroneously) to dogs, so we have to ALWAYS be on guard to prevent this with leashes and never let them out alone, no matter how good and docile they are with us....even if they don't have a history of even so much as growling!

I believe that your Pit was friendly and harmless, with you and your family. When a dog is loose and not with an owner, they are a different creature. Not to say it turned viscious, but trust me, if someone took the trouble of shooting the pit and in the process blowing out a window I am inclined to think this person felt threatened by the dog for some reason. I doubt he or she was just looking to shoot a pitbull for the sake of it being a pitbull. Also, living here, you are well aware of the countless pitbull attacks, since so many people have bred them to be viscious guard-attack dogs.

Pits were bred to be what they are. They can snap, that is why they aren't recommended as family pets. I know many pitbull owners disagree, but there is a reason for the ban and the fear of these dogs. They are very muscular, very territorial and are dangerous because they are prone to agression with little provocation (overall characteristics of the breed).

I believe there should be a ban on certain breeds. Remember a couple years ago when some giant South American Breed attacked its owner (there were two of them) in the backyard in Coral Springs? It was gruesome. And that was the loving owner...she was actually giving them a bath I believe.

Some dogs just shouldn't be family pets. There are so many loving types of dogs that are much less likely to be aggressive and that people would not be as afraid of...it is not the best choice to pick a breed with a violent history and a percetion that it is viscious.

I am sorry that your dog got out and that it was shot. However, if the person felt threatened (and you weren't there to see what went down), I suppose he had a right to protect himself. Also, be honest with yourself, you had to have known about community perceptions of pitbulls when you got yours...so you also had the added responsibilty of ALWAYS going the extra mile to never let your dog escape...

I am sorry for your loss, but please try to understand the situation from the neighbor's point of view also. Don't put yourself, your family and neighbors at risk when there are other breeds available now.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:58 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
If the state doesn't permit banning certain breeds then how does Dade County’s ban exist. I think Broward and Palm Beach's proposed ban will pass. Too many people have see how aggressive pit bulls can be and they don't want them anywhere near them or their children.

Too many people in South Florida have dogs, not as pets, but as guard dugs. They encourage them to be aggressive and even vicious.
Miami's ban was passed before that law when into effect so it was grandfathered in when Jeb was Governor. As for Broward & Palm Beach I don't see how they can ban pitbulls when state law supercedes it.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:16 PM

253 posts, read 1,740,274 times
I have never cared for dogs much, and that feeling has intensified since I moved to New Mexico last year. I certainly understand the intelligence and loyalty most dogs possess when they have owners who care for and spend time with the dog - and I applaud the people who actually feel their dog is a companion, not a possession. Here in Southern NM, dogs are merely a possession - a cheap and guaranteed alarm system anytime someone walks within 20 feet of your property. And in Southern NM, the dog of choice is pit bull. I live on a street with about 20 houses, and 18 of those houses have 1 or more big dogs chained in the yard - I know this because I walked and counted (I'm one of the 2 that does not). I'm an urban walker, and the majority of houses I pass have dogs just chained up in a dirt yard, trained to growl and bark the moment someone passes by. A large number of the dogs I see every day look like pit bulls - it must be some sort of fad. And they are not friendly dogs, which is why I now carry pepper spray and a switchblade on my person every time I go walking. Some of the dogs are chained, some are not, and a 3-foot fence is not going to save me if a pit bull decides to attack.

Within the span of one month, I've had new neighbors move in behind me who brought with them not one dog, but two pit bulls and one ugly wolf dog - which snarl and bark at me every time I go in my backyard. They're nothing more than security devices, just possessions, not pets. Last week neighbor next door decided to join the herd and now there's another pit bull snarling at me. I hear the owner outside "training" the dog by saying sic and other threatening command words.

I blame the owners, not so much the dogs. But pit bulls are favored for their aggressiveness and threatening demeanor, so I say get rid of them.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,425 times
I dont think banning the breed is the answer...perhaps instead of banning the breed they should consider a special permit to own pitbulls or require a certification course. I have a pitbull mix and she is the sweetest dog but yes I would always leash her and watch her around children. What is next? Rotties, Dobermans, Huskies, German Shepards etc. If you outlaw the breed you are leaving them in the hands of outlaws and just continue the negatve attention...it is not the people actually following the laws you need to worry about its those that dont care either way...

Old 04-02-2008, 11:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
sorry you lost your dog. i have been attacked 2x by a vicious dog.
it was not your dog. that does not help the scars on my leg.
the owner did not feel it was their problem. later they made jokes about it.
both attacks were unprovoked. i like animals esp dogs.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:29 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Closing this.. it is no longer about Miami. This issue belongs in the Pet/dog forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami