Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 09:12 PM

52 posts, read 52,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Good point....fast food workers buy their clothes at Kiton.
I highly suggest you read The Millionaire Next Door. You will be surprised to know truly millionaires with net worth of more than $1 million don't drive foreign luxury vehicles nor buy their clothes at BCC. Of course some of them do, but those live in constant fear their lifestyle may be threatened by external factors which are beyond their control (government taxation, recession periods, etc.) Usually the sort of people who stupidly spend their money shopping at places like BCC often find themselves working until their late 70s to be able to continue to afford the lavish lifestyle.

Ex-NBA star went from $108 million to bankruptcy - Jul. 24, 2015
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 03:19 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
yeah, I read that book 20+ years ago, and you are trying to use the example of the bankrupt ex-wealthy athlete and extrapolate that to the majority of high net worth individuals??....just to bring you up with the times, $1M is not high net worth these days anyways. I drive the nice foreign car and could afford to retire comfortably now, at 58, and maintain my current lifestyle well into my 90's yet I shop at BCC type places (I also wear sweatpants and a ball cap during the day and buy from Amazon). Many of my successful, HNWI family and friends might work into their 60's or even 70's--but it will be out of choice, not necessity.

You are trying to put a pretty ribbon on a box to try and prove a point based on very limited data. Just because a bartender who makes $40K/Year and buys a pair of shoes at Ferragamo or Berluti or there is a HNWI who is not into fashion and doesn't like shopping at a BCC does not build your case. Just because some get rich quick athletes lack financial acumen or receive bad advice and blow their fortune does not mean attorneys, investment bankers, CEO's, developers, or any other host of successful people will follow suit. Come back when you have concrete data showing actual statistics of the demographics of those who shop at BCC, Bal Harbour, Worth Avenue, etc rather than making a very general statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthislikepoetry View Post
I highly suggest you read The Millionaire Next Door. You will be surprised to know truly millionaires with net worth of more than $1 million don't drive foreign luxury vehicles nor buy their clothes at BCC. Of course some of them do, but those live in constant fear their lifestyle may be threatened by external factors which are beyond their control (government taxation, recession periods, etc.) Usually the sort of people who stupidly spend their money shopping at places like BCC often find themselves working until their late 70s to be able to continue to afford the lavish lifestyle.

Ex-NBA star went from $108 million to bankruptcy - Jul. 24, 2015

Last edited by elchevere; 01-15-2018 at 04:08 AM..

Old 01-15-2018, 08:54 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Quote:
Curious if anyone has any actual data on how overall businesses are doing at BCC....clearly the state of the typical mall is on the decline as online sales have taken a good share of their previous business. BCC is sheltered, to some extent, by the fact many of its retailers are high end clothing brands that consumers wish to try on in person rather than just ordering via Amazon (if they even carry all of the brands) and this mall is not anchored by your typical Nordstroms that you can find in 100+ other cities.

My visual experience, without concrete data, tells me BCC is never THAT crowded on an average day. Hoping it is able to buck the trend, like Bal Harbour and Aventura, but would love to see some data if one can find and post it (I've been unable to find any data myself online). More interested in dollar sales than foot traffic.
I noticed the same thing! It's never really that crowded and not for nothing, but there's actually not that many options. Like I'd rather just go to Aventura. MUCH more options and all the high end stuff too. While BCC is a pretty cool mall in it's designs, it's stores are just meh...

Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 AM

234 posts, read 387,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I noticed the same thing! It's never really that crowded and not for nothing, but there's actually not that many options. Like I'd rather just go to Aventura. MUCH more options and all the high end stuff too. While BCC is a pretty cool mall in it's designs, it's stores are just meh...
I agree. I live two blocks from BCC and when I'm looking for a real mall experience I'll drive to Dadeland. Dadeland has more stores for the average guy and a food court with a Chick-fil-a. Call me pedestrian but it's what I grew up with and what I like.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:09 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
You're not the only one who sees it, a lot of people do. It's a high-end mall so in terms of store diversity, there's not much. I'm actually back in Brickell right now, decided to stop by BCC with the girlfriend and yeah nothing much has changed. Still pretty empty, although I did see friends from school that I haven't seen in many years. I also stopped by Casa Tua and it was not bad. I'm Italian so my standards are high when it comes to Italian food, and this place was pretty good by Miami standards. Service was slow as hell though and the staff was a bit rude. I'd give the place 3.5/5, good food but I can find better Italian food elsewhere.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:13 PM

for casual Italian it is not bad....one cannot eat at Il Gabbiano or Bugatti every time they need their Italian fix.....for another casual and better place for Italian (with good service--ask for Marcello), have you checked out Figata yet?....located directly next door to Novecento, diagonally across the street from the Four Seasons on Brickell Avenue....very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
You're not the only one who sees it, a lot of people do. It's a high-end mall so in terms of store diversity, there's not much. I'm actually back in Brickell right now, decided to stop by BCC with the girlfriend and yeah nothing much has changed. Still pretty empty, although I did see friends from school that I haven't seen in many years. I also stopped by Casa Tua and it was not bad. I'm Italian so my standards are high when it comes to Italian food, and this place was pretty good by Miami standards. Service was slow as hell though and the staff was a bit rude. I'd give the place 3.5/5, good food but I can find better Italian food elsewhere.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:38 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
for casual Italian it is not bad....one cannot eat at Il Gabbiano or Bugatti every time they need their Italian fix.....for another casual and better place for Italian (with good service--ask for Marcello), have you checked out Figata yet?....located directly next door to Novecento, diagonally across the street from the Four Seasons on Brickell Avenue....very good.
I was actually gonna go tonight! but my gf and I decided to meet up some friends at Wood Tavern, so I'll probably go tomorrow. I guess tonight It's Coyo (I like their tacos, so I'm happy regardless).

Old 01-15-2018, 06:27 PM

52 posts, read 52,413 times
Quote:
yeah, I read that book 20+ years ago, and you are trying to use the example of the bankrupt ex-wealthy athlete and extrapolate that to the majority of high net worth individuals??....just to bring you up with the times, $1M is not high net worth these days anyways. I drive the nice foreign car and could afford to retire comfortably now, at 58, and maintain my current lifestyle well into my 90's yet I shop at BCC type places (I also wear sweatpants and a ball cap during the day and buy from Amazon). Many of my successful, HNWI family and friends might work into their 60's or even 70's--but it will be out of choice, not necessity.

You are trying to put a pretty ribbon on a box to try and prove a point based on very limited data. Just because a bartender who makes $40K/Year and buys a pair of shoes at Ferragamo or Berluti or there is a HNWI who is not into fashion and doesn't like shopping at a BCC does not build your case. Just because some get rich quick athletes lack financial acumen or receive bad advice and blow their fortune does not mean attorneys, investment bankers, CEO's, developers, or any other host of successful people will follow suit. Come back when you have concrete data showing actual statistics of the demographics of those who shop at BCC, Bal Harbour, Worth Avenue, etc rather than making a very general statement.
The book imo is as relevant today as it was when it came out.

I happen to think differently, however, I respect your opinion (otherwise I would be a communist)

you do not have to be an uneducated athlete to squander your money, many educated people (actually the more educated the more prone you are to overspend) in this country live paycheck to paycheck simply because they enjoy buying at bcc and driving the latest range rover. (which again, there is nothing wrong with it)

It is not limited data, I would say 80% of the folks you see driving nice cars are not financially independent and honestly you will never see guys like warren buffet, jeff bezos, bill gates, mark cuban. etc. wasting their money at places such as bcc. it is not their thing and it never was and it never will. all that social status that most folks want to display (specially in Miami) seems out of a fairy tale. do you wanna see a lifestyle ?? go to norway, finland, holland, germany, sweeden, switzerland, iceland, etc. that is a lifestyle. they may not drive around in the nicest cars but they do not live to work, they work to live.

everybody is entitled to spend their money the way they like, as a matter of fact, those who spend the most should be considered heroes because they contribute more to society thru taxation.

you can say what you want but I doubt regular folks like you and me really can wake up and afford not to go to work. in fact, after knowing you frequently buy at BCC I would dare to say your financials don't look as pretty as you state they do. actually I doubt you are worth more than $2 million, which honestly I could not care less but it contributes to my point that REALLY wealthy individuals (millionaires/billionaires) do not tend to even frequent this places.

who bears a lot in the inside needs little in the outside.

but again, this is all unimportant as long as you are happy with your lifestyle, so it is best to leave it at this.

Last edited by truthislikepoetry; 01-15-2018 at 06:49 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 07:16 PM

your assumptions, particularly on people and matters you are not familiar with, never ceases to amaze me and, no, you know nothing about me (upbringing, education, successful career, financial worth, network of highly successful friends and family)--so please stop pretending that you do. You really should stop--you are not very good at this. Do you speak about Cuban, Gates, Bezos etc from personal experience and pretend to know them as well??

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthislikepoetry View Post
The book imo is as relevant as it was when it came out.

I happen to think differently, however I respect your opinion (otherwise I would be a communist)

you do not have to be an uneducated athlete to under your money, many educated people (actually the more educated the more prone you are to spend) in this country live paycheck to paycheck simply because they enjoy buying at bcc and driving the latest range rover.

It is not limited data, I would say 80% of the folks you see driving nice cars are not financially independent and honestly you will never see guys like warren buffet, jeff bezos, bill gates, mark cuban. etc. wasting their money at places such as bcc. it is not their thing and it never was and it never will. all that social status that most folks want to display (specially in Miami) seems out of a fairy tale.

everybody is entitled to spend their money the way they like, as a matter of fact, those who spend the most should be considered heroes because they contribute more to society thru taxation.

you can say what you want but I doubt regular folks like you and me really can wake up and afford not to go to work. in fact, after knowing you frequently buy at BCC I would dare to say your financials don't look as pretty as you state they do.

but again, this is all unimportant as long as you are enjoying life, so it is best to leave it at this.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-15-2018 at 07:35 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 07:57 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
Do you speak about Cuban, Gates, Bezos etc from personal experience and pretend to know them as well??
He watched a documentary on Buffett eating fast food and Mark Cuban saying he doesn't care about fashion on Shark Tank.

Sure, Gazillionaires don't shop at malls like that, big deal. There are tons and tons of families making $500k-$1ML/year throughout this world and those people shop at places like that all the time. Why do you think Bal Harbour shops is so successful?

Where do 'rich' people shop? Westfield Mall? Dolphin mall? No, they go to places like Bal Harbour, maybe Aventura, etc.

Whether BCC survives or not is not relevant to 'high net worth people not shopping at high-end malls' - they still do, they don't buy their luxury coats, designer dresses, tailored suits, etc. from Amazon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami