Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:43 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Taxes and fees in Germany are a lot higher than in America including Miami. Most of the modern world is like this, which is one of the reasons I voted for Trump because he actually understands this, that's why he compares our infrastructure to 3rd world countries.
So you voted for someone who promised to lower your taxes even worse, making infrastructure maintenance and modernization even harder to implement?

Anyway, here is some good reading for anyone who is interested in the funding, or lack there of, for infrastructure in U.S. Cities:
The Real Reason Your City Has No Money| Strong Towns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 01:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
That is not good reading for the subject.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:33 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,400,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Miami has excellent roads, and when compared to a place like NYC, Miami's roads are even more spectacular. Having a few issues here and there does not mean Miami has horrible roads. I already asked for someone to specifically state which roads they think are bad, I will even drive there myself to check it out, will even petition to get them fixed.
Speak for yourself i rent a car in Miami each time I’m there and it’s the same mess I experienced in NYC. Uneven streets and pot holes. My brothers live in West Palm Beach and I’ll say West Palm Beach has some excellent roads. Plus the traffic in a West Palm Beach is less so it’s always a pleasure to drive there!

Old 02-22-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Speak for yourself i rent a car in Miami each time I’m there and it’s the same mess I experienced in NYC. Uneven streets and pot holes. My brothers live in West Palm Beach and I’ll say West Palm Beach has some excellent roads. Plus the traffic in a West Palm Beach is less so it’s always a pleasure to drive there!
I am speaking for myself, never implied I was speaking for anyone else.

West Palm has the fraction of traffic, industry, and construction Miami has, all those things take a toll on roads.

At that, I have asked for specific roads that have issues, I said I will check them out and take action. No one yet has provided a road.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:43 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

At that, I have asked for specific roads that have issues, I said I will check them out and take action. No one yet has provided a road.

Well, the thread is talked in a general sense. Both sides of the discussion rely on anecdotes. I wonder though what kind of action you are willing to provide. Don't you think your question opens up a box of technicalities? Just a thought.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Well, the thread is talked in a general sense. Both sides of the discussion rely on anecdotes. I wonder though what kind of action you are willing to provide. Don't you think your question opens up a box of technicalities? Just a thought.
Even in a general sense, there should be some examples. I know of roads that do need repair, but it is because they either were victim of heavy construction next to it that is still going on, or they are minor roads in which 0.001% of the population will actually drive on. I did take action on a significant pot hole on US-1 north south of Brickell when they were rebuilding the sound wall, and they fixed it within a month.

In a general sense, Miami has excellent roads if for any reason, it is not a victim of winter which tears up roads with the freeze-thaw cycle. I asked for specific roads just because there should be examples if there is a "general sense" of Miami roads having so many pot holes. With as much driving and years living here as I have, I just do not see it, especially when compared to many other cities.

Action is just basic civic action anyone can do. I write, call, and keep the pressure up until I get a response and expected actions and time frame the responsible party provides.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:54 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,745 times
Quote:
Why does Miami streets have so many potholes? Where is the taxpayers' money going to?
When and IF was the last time you were in the N E USA ???? POTHOLES GALORE

Old 07-03-2018, 11:01 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthislikepoetry View Post
Having spent 15 days in Germany recently made me realize what a functional city really is. The thing that struck me the most ? the roads, in both the cities and highways. If you think I am exaggerating you should pack up, get on a plane and visit Germany.
The roads don't have potholes nor cracks. It is insane, I mean, how they can upkeep the roads so efficiently is beyond me. I would be driving and I did not feel the car jump off nor sink down into potholes like the ones we have here. I remember thinking there must be a lot accidents due to drivers falling sleep behind the wheel considering how quite every car ride is. Other shocking discovering was, there seems to be no ongoing construction work during the day. I did not come across one street closed due to road work.(mind you I was in Berlin, Munich and Frankfurt, mind you Germany recovered fully from a WWII that basically destroyed the country)
What triggered this post is the minute I drove my car off the airport I feel the potholes and the enormous difference. My question is. Don't we supposedly live in the richest country on earth, how come we do not have that high quality roads here in Miami ? The infrastructure of this city is a disaster, potholes everywhere, ongoing construction during the day all over the place causing traffic jams, uneducated drivers. Could we ever achieve the level of efficiency they have in Germany ? And probably most importantly, where is our money going to ? (definitely not toward improving infrastructure)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf3QsIyQz1k

Old 07-03-2018, 11:05 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
https://youtu.be/eanohPP3FOk

https://youtu.be/-uDQOsoUZ-Y

Old 07-04-2018, 12:49 PM

683 posts, read 853,311 times
Money is going to the crooked politicians pockets. Miami definitely has one of the worse roads in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami