Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 06:11 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times

Advertisements

elchevere...Edgewater is a up and coming neighborhood.
Right now the "flash" is on the towers rising on the bay but it is far more of a walkable neighborhood in a residential sense than Brickell even though it lacks the amenities you seek.
The Brickell that you enjoy today was barely non-existent 20 years ago.
Give Edgewater some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 06:33 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
elchevere...Edgewater is a up and coming neighborhood.
Right now the "flash" is on the towers rising on the bay but it is far more of a walkable neighborhood in a residential sense than Brickell even though it lacks the amenities you seek.
The Brickell that you enjoy today was barely non-existent 20 years ago.
Give Edgewater some time.
Exactly! give it time and it'll improve. And hell, Brickell was nothing until 10 years ago and all these amenities have been around for half that time as well. Brickell prior to the second boom was very bland compared to today. Even though it's still behind most core neighbourhoods in North America, it has improved tremendously since 2012/13.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:33 PM

233 posts, read 172,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Just drove through the area. Seems like a congested, condo clusterf*k without the walkability and amenities of Brickell. Need to get into your car to go almost everywhere. I do not see that changing for at least 5 years.

What is the appeal..staying home and staring out your window all day at Biscayne Bay??
In a nutshell - it's cheaper and closer to Wynwood. I personally like Wynwood more than Brickell - and the restaurants there seem to be more creative and doing creative things.

That being said, I agree with you about walkability. I have never lived in Edgewater, but on my passes through it, it never looked very walkable. I knew a guy who recently divorced and I was helping him move out of his Edgewater Condo - I asked him how he liked living here, and he said he loved it. One of the reasons he gave was walkability which kind of shocked me as it doesn't look walkable.

So just now I punched it into Walk Score and it seems pretty walkable: https://www.walkscore.com/score/242-...miami-fl-33137

There definitely seems to be dead areas so it matters where you live. The closer to the Bay the less walkable it appears from the map.

My guess is ROI in this area also has more potential than Brickell.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:59 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
yeah, the walk score of 91 shocked me as well and I agree closer to the water definitely adds time.....where I live on Brickell Avenue is a 98 (not surprising).....and to the expert who does not live in Miami, Google Maps is showing a 19-22 minute walk from Edgewater to The Shops at Midtown (see link below). Let me know how that works out, each way, in June - September....Wynwood is a 16 minute walk--is that a place one would walk home from late at night or would it be wiser (safety) to take an Uber?

....but I will take the word of others who say give it time and the surrounding area will fill in and "gentrify". Not interested in moving there nor encouraging others to move, instead, to Brickell--just have heard so much hype about the area and giving my observation after driving around the neighborhood yesterday.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Edge...25.8096486!3e2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum87 View Post
In a nutshell - it's cheaper and closer to Wynwood. I personally like Wynwood more than Brickell - and the restaurants there seem to be more creative and doing creative things.

That being said, I agree with you about walkability. I have never lived in Edgewater, but on my passes through it, it never looked very walkable. I knew a guy who recently divorced and I was helping him move out of his Edgewater Condo - I asked him how he liked living here, and he said he loved it. One of the reasons he gave was walkability which kind of shocked me as it doesn't look walkable.

So just now I punched it into Walk Score and it seems pretty walkable: https://www.walkscore.com/score/242-...miami-fl-33137

There definitely seems to be dead areas so it matters where you live. The closer to the Bay the less walkable it appears from the map.

My guess is ROI in this area also has more potential than Brickell.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-12-2018 at 08:11 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 10:17 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
^ Who is the expert that doesn't live in Miami ?

Old 02-13-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
^ Who is the expert that doesn't live in Miami ?
Below...To your point, perhaps the area will fill in another 5 years or so from now with a closer concentration of options (eateries/bars/gym/movies, etc) than 20+ minute walks each way, or driving, to Midtown or other districts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I'm not from Miami and know there is Midtown nearby,

https://www.opentable.com/n/miami/mi...mi-restaurants

Last edited by elchevere; 02-13-2018 at 01:26 AM..

Old 04-30-2018, 06:17 PM

29 posts, read 19,753 times
Believe it or not but Edge water is one of the hottest areas in Miami.
So is Brickell and Midtown.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:24 AM

289 posts, read 304,970 times
I feel the same way about Brickell, funny enough. It's basically what someone from the suburbs thinks a city looks like, down to the unimpressive chain restaurants and mid-level shopping. And for all its "walkability", I don't think I ever see any significant number of walkers when I happen to be passing through.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:04 AM

Having lived in NYC, San Francisco, and Atlanta (as well as Southern California) thanks for sharing what life is like in a true big city, such as Miami....one definitely leads a sheltered life and gets no urban experience whatsoever in these smaller 'suburban' type cities that I just mentioned. The stuff I experienced, especially in NYC and SF, must have been fake news.

Mid level shopping?...you mean like high end shops (Kiton, Santoni, Bally, Bruno Magli, Richard Mille, Chopard, etc etc) at Brickell City Centre?.....unimpressive chain restaurants--like River Seafood Oyster Bar, Naoe--one of the top sushi restaurants in the entire country; Nusr-et--the first US venture from Salt Bae; La Centrale--the first US venture from Italian based winery Santa Margherita; and La Petite Maison's first US venture. I can throw in Cipriani, Komodo (best Peking duck I've ever had), Bazaar Mar by Jose Andres and Edge Steakhouse...yes, right up there with Cheesecake Factory, Olive Garden, and Outback.

Plenty of walkers--some on Brickell Ave, more so walking on the riverfront by Icon, Jade and Brickell Key....heck, I walk so much I only am averaging 4K miles/year driving....I walk very short distances to restaurants, Equinox (2 of them), post office, haircut, coffee shops, upscale cigar lounge, movie theatre and more.

You might want to actually spend more time in Brickell before posting such rubbish, but to each their own...what's next, the Marlins will score more runs, hit more HR's, and draw more fans at home games than the Yankees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
I feel the same way about Brickell, funny enough. It's basically what someone from the suburbs thinks a city looks like, down to the unimpressive chain restaurants and mid-level shopping. And for all its "walkability", I don't think I ever see any significant number of walkers when I happen to be passing through.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-01-2018 at 10:52 AM..

Old 05-02-2018, 07:31 AM

874 posts, read 899,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
not sure being closer to Wynwood is an advantage either.

I was there last night--my first time ever on a weekend night. Won't make that mistake again; (1) I knew parking would be difficult so I took Uber. Not an issue getting there but what a PITA having to wait for the Uber driver to crawl through traffic and find me for the ride home; (2) I was probably 35+ years older than the average person there last night while let's just say it wasn't quite the professional crowd I see more of in Brickell; and (3) the few places I hit (Racket, R House, and Wynwood Diner) all had DJ's playing music about 5 levels too loud and a few places (such as Wood Tavern) had a line stretched around the corner to enter.....I must be getting old. When I go back to Wynwood, it will most definitely be during the late afternoon or mid-week. Never again on a weekend evening...at least from Brickell I can still hit downtown, Coral Way, Coral Gables, Little Havana, and Coconut Grove with relative ease.
El Chevre, you seem to prefer higher end places. There are now a ton of those in Wynwood. I've gone to GKB Peruvian which was quite tasty and to No. 3 Social (Norman Van Aken's rooftop bar) which was fabulous. And there's always Wynwood kitchen and R House.

My personal favorites in Wynwood are: 1800 Lucky (Asian food market), Butcher Shop, and the Salty Donut. All of those are more affordable, and cater to a variety of age groups.

I actually think the crowds are smaller these days in Wynwood. Tons of tourists, but the locals seem to have wandered elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami