Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 06:31 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
South Beach/Ocean Drive peaked as a cool, hip, eclectic place where celebrities and models flocked to in the mid to late 90's. Gianni Versace lived on Ocean Drive at this time, which is hard to imagine today. Over the course of the late 90's and 2000's it evolved into a large tourist destination for the masses containing too many tourist traps. In more recent years Ocean Drive seems to be getting ever more seedy which prompted city officials to curtail some of the night life.
Excellent description. Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 07:40 AM

233 posts, read 172,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
I remember when I first moved from Orlando to South Beach in 2010 and we'd walk up and down Ocean drive in the Summer time..place was dead, we could hear live music being played, hanging out on the grass or the wall watching the people go by, etc. But yes, once a night we'd get the 'weed & coke'. I just don't make eye contact with them and move on.

Since 2015 its gotten shadier a bit. More money brought more problems of course. Crimes became more violent too. Before it was just car burglaries and people stealing bikes/scooters. Now there are shootings, robberies, etc. in certain parts of Sobe in the evening hours. Which is sad because the biggest appeal back then was my wife and I felt safe to wonder at midnight after work and get a slice of pizza or a $5 mojito and people watch. Or just taking the dog out for a late night walk before bed and never worrying...
Now we wouldn't do that any more which is very sad. I don't see it changing any time soon.

We were even about to rent an amazing townhome on 6th & Euclid last year and a member here (who doesn't live in Sobe) actually pointed out a lot of the info above to me and talked me out of it..basically Sobe of 2015+ isn't the same as 2010-2012 when summers were dead and people were always out walking/being friendly.
The shootings are done by two groups of people - the hip hop wannabe gangsters (I guess if they're shooting for real then they're real gangsters) and the police. The people who shoot are 99% tourists themselves or from elsewhere in Miami.

But to be fair, I never felt unsafe in South Beach - there are police everywhere. I guess that doesn't count for much since some of the people who come are still willing to shoot but anyways it's more the business model of all the night establishments that are leaving me rather go out in Brickell or Wynwood than where I live.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:38 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,201 times
So where in south florida did the old south beach move to? Has that style and scene simply relocated or is it a bygone era?

Old 03-16-2018, 06:23 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,193,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
So where in south florida did the old south beach move to? Has that style and scene simply relocated or is it a bygone era?
wILTON mANORS

Old 03-16-2018, 10:00 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Ocean Drive is ghetto now who let ratchets into Miami Beach

Old 03-16-2018, 03:07 PM

36 posts, read 40,713 times
All the old scared white people just stay south of fifth or north beach. Problem solved.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:46 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Miami has became popular spot for college kids, less undesirable, quick gateway, wannabes. NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Bailtmore resident might go to Miami to show off the Lamborghini for one day but when they go home they driving 2007 Honda Civc or no car at all
Yup especially true for young New Yorkers. You’ll be seeing this when Spring Break comes!

Old 03-16-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Yup especially true for young New Yorkers. You’ll be seeing this when Spring Break comes!
Young people excited about seeing plam trees, exotic cars, Carribean and South Americans culture, partying, jet skis.

Last edited by BPt111; 03-16-2018 at 06:20 PM..

Old 03-16-2018, 06:34 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,282 times
When did a lot of gays leave Miami Beach? I think one of the underappreciated things is how in many slummy areas the first investors or trendsetters to turning an area around are gays. They invest money, fix the crappy places up, bring the artsy vibe and attract fashion and entertainment. You had an entertainment vibe in Miami Beach in the 90's with Madonna and Sly Stallone owning homes close by and partying in the clubs. Major movies like True Lies and Bad Boys were filmed in the area.

I think things started to change after the Versace murder. The gays and artists and entertainment community got a little spooked and moved out, a more mainstream crowd moved in along with the gangsters.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
When did a lot of gays leave Miami Beach? I think one of the underappreciated things is how in many slummy areas the first investors or trendsetters to turning an area around are gays. They invest money, fix the crappy places up, bring the artsy vibe and attract fashion and entertainment. You had an entertainment vibe in Miami Beach in the 90's with Madonna and Sly Stallone owning homes close by and partying in the clubs. Major movies like True Lies and Bad Boys were filmed in the area.

I think things started to change after the Versace murder. The gays and artists and entertainment community got a little spooked and moved out, a more mainstream crowd moved in along with the gangsters.
Actually Miami going through gentrification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami