Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 08:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
No, YOU don't know what the differences are. Please don't project your ignorance on everyone else.
You nor anyone knows the difference until you interview them, that is a fact. You are just projecting a stereotype based off a name. They could have been raised in the same household, neighborhood, and been 5th generation immigrants for all we know, or they could be fresh off the boat.

Quote:
First of all, the concepts "hispanic" and "latino" were not created by the US government. Second, they aren't based on "location", but on lingual and cultural heritage. Third, your ignorance of racism, both historical and modern, doesn't change the fact that white hispanics face a much different experience of America than traditional Western European whites. This is, to address some of your straw men, also something faced by other white non-european immigrants. Being "white" in America has specific cultural and social meanings and implications, and these are pretty obvious to anyone who is not either willfully blind or simply ignorant. "White" has a very specific meaning in the context of talking about race in America that goes far beyond checking your skin tone against a pantone card.
The US government has set forth the legal definition of Hispanic and Latino, I suggest you review this yourself. White Hispanics do not face any difference any more than anyone else, especially considering you cannot even tell a lot of them are "Hispanic". Mr. Don from Argentina, being bright white and descendants say from Italy is not facing the same challenges as Mr. Jose from Guatemala with most indigenous blood. That is a fact so you can quit pretending all Hispanics are somehow lumped together and face the same challenges in life based off of phenotype.

And in case you still do not realize, Spain is in Europe, most Spaniards are white, and are part of these "European immigrants". Additionally, those from Brazil are not considered Hispanic by the legal definition of the US government, though the lay person intent on discriminating will never tell the difference between a Brazilian and Chilean.

Your "white" definition is just your own, and you are the one (as you stated) that said "white" and instead of just correcting yourself and state "Hispanic", you go on some rant as if I and everyone suppose to know what in the hell you are talking about, and I even referenced that in fact, Miami is majority white.

Quote:
Racism. I would have thought that was obvious, but clearly you need things spelled out to you.
Yea yea, everyone faces racism, nothing is swept under the rug, not sure why you brought it up, or are oyu one of those who thinks racists are lurking around every corner and during every encounter you have with a person? At that, Miami has more of an issue of discrimination based on national origin than racism. Additionally, Hispanic is not a race.

Quote:
That "someone" was me. Try to keep up. It's really not that difficult.
No, I do not go back to see who originally started it, I do not care to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 12:10 PM

289 posts, read 304,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You nor anyone knows the difference until you interview them, that is a fact. You are just projecting a stereotype based off a name. They could have been raised in the same household, neighborhood, and been 5th generation immigrants for all we know, or they could be fresh off the boat.
Or we can look at things like demographics and the historical record to get an idea of what their experience is like so we don't have to pretend to be ignorant because of one guy we know.

Quote:
The US government has set forth the legal definition of Hispanic and Latino, I suggest you review this yourself. White Hispanics do not face any difference any more than anyone else, especially considering you cannot even tell a lot of them are "Hispanic". Mr. Don from Argentina, being bright white and descendants say from Italy is not facing the same challenges as Mr. Jose from Guatemala with most indigenous blood. That is a fact so you can quit pretending all Hispanics are somehow lumped together and face the same challenges in life based off of phenotype.
Ethnotype, not phenotype. And no, the level of discrimination obviously varies. No ****. But it's absolutely inane to pretend that someone who is a white Hispanic has the same privileges as someone who is descended from northern Europeans. Even Martin Sheen, the whitest Hispanic man alive, has talked about the push-back he got in Hollywood about portraying Hispanic or Latino characters - no one wanted to let him, because they insisted that the roles be "white" and that audiences didn't want to see a Hispanic or Latino lead.

Quote:
And in case you still do not realize, Spain is in Europe, most Spaniards are white, and are part of these "European immigrants". Additionally, those from Brazil are not considered Hispanic by the legal definition of the US government, though the lay person intent on discriminating will never tell the difference between a Brazilian and Chilean.
Please don't project your own ignorance on others. As I'm sure you're aware, most Hispanic people in the US are not here from Spain. And people from Brazil are not Hispanic, but ARE Latino. See, isn't it nice we have specific terms for things?

Quote:
Your "white" definition is just your own, and you are the one (as you stated) that said "white" and instead of just correcting yourself and state "Hispanic", you go on some rant as if I and everyone suppose to know what in the hell you are talking about, and I even referenced that in fact, Miami is majority white.
Ok, buddy.

Quote:
Yea yea, everyone faces racism, nothing is swept under the rug, not sure why you brought it up, or are oyu one of those who thinks racists are lurking around every corner and during every encounter you have with a person? At that, Miami has more of an issue of discrimination based on national origin than racism. Additionally, Hispanic is not a race.
National origin and ethnic/cultural heritage are covered under racism. Check a dictionary if you don't believe me. But I can clearly see you're one of those people that pretends racism is not a big deal and goes out of your way to pretend that people calling out racism are the real racists.

Quote:
No, I do not go back to see who originally started it, I do not care to.
Ok, buddy.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:16 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
funny, it's like that in North County San Diego and South Orange County, CA as well....a homogeneous mass of suburbia.

Quote:
True, I cannot even tell when Dade ends and Broward begins except for the sign. Cannot even tell off the top of my head where Broward ends and PBC begins.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:17 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
funny, it's like that in North County San Diego and South Orange County, CA as well....a homogeneous mass of suburbia.
Camp Pendleton does a pretty good job of separating the two.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:15 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Does Camp Pendleton transform South OC into an urban metropolis that makes it more recognizable or distinguishable from North County San Diego?

You could blindfold me and drop me off in Laguna Niguel, Rancho Santa Margarita, Aliso Viejo, Monarch Beach, San Clemente, Carlsbad, San Marcos, Rancho Bernardo or Solana Beach and I would have a hard time telling them apart ...(though Dana Point does have a tiny boat harbor so I could probably tell that apart from the others)...homogenous suburbia--I will be ready for that lifestyle when I reach my 80's (ditto for SoFla suburbia), provided I still have my driving faculties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Camp Pendleton does a pretty good job of separating the two.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-15-2018 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami