Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 11:08 AM

8 posts, read 10,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmrmustard View Post
My wife and I moved recently to Miami Springs and have been very happy with our decision. You could probably find a 2 bedroom home with a large yard in your price range here.
Thanks so much! I have been thinking about schools! Do you think Coral Gables or Coconut Grove has charter schools..
When I google there are many schools and I am not sure which one I should pick ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsaysFLA View Post
FIU is a great school. I received my BA from there. It is a very diverse school and I loved it. Please be a little more specific about which campus in Miami your husband will be teaching from and I can help out a little more in terms of schools, areas to live in and storage.
Hi! Thanks so much! He will be in Engineering. We like to live close by, I have been looking into Coral Gables and Coconut Grove. My budget is $2000 for a two bedroom with a small yard for the kids..

Old 04-11-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirantMartorell View Post
Doral is probably the most convenient and the public/charter school options there are pretty good.

However, some of the things on your list are incompatible in Miami. A good public school + walkable neighborhood + artst/charater neighborhood are usually not something you can get all at once in Miami.

Doral is a cookie cutter dense suburban neighborhood that's been altmost entirely built in the last 20 years. I'm personally not a fan because I like the more established walkable, character, historic neighborhoods closer to the urban core - however, those neighborhoods usually do not have the best public schools.

Miami has a lot of charter and magnet school options now and those are free so look into that before you settle on one particular neighborhood just because of the local public school.
Thanks so much! Magnet schools are something I am not very used to and not sure how they operate but I will look into it for sure. I noticed some of the best ranked schools in Miami Dade accept students from anywhere as long as they live in the county. And they also talk about a lottery system to get in? I am kind of lost there.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
FIU Main Campus?

If so, look at Palmetto Bay for a home or maybe an older town home in Dadeland area near Baptist hospital. Kendale Lakes is an option as well.

Doral is also a good option for schools but moving from Ohio to Doral will be quite the culture shock. I would stay in the communities South of the College.
He will be in Engineering. I am fine with an older townhouse as long as it has a smaller yard..thanks so much for you help!

Old 04-11-2018, 12:13 PM

7,776 posts, read 10,117,652 times
Yeah I think Coral Gables or Coconut Grove would be ideal for you all, but not sure about the schools or prices.

I actually live in Doral and moved here from a walkable historic artistic neighborhood in Jacksonville. It's definitely different, but not entirely bad. While the layout is suburban, it is fairly dense and quasi-walkable. It offers a diversity of options with good schools and pretty close to FIU. Horrible traffic and probably a major adjustment coming into a very Latin American-predominant environment.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:32 PM

64 posts, read 90,989 times
Miami Springs is a good option. It's an older established neighborhood with some character homes and the commute to FIU would not be bad.

I would also recommend Miami Lakes.

Re the magnet/charter school options - you'll need to do a lot of research on that. There's been an explosion of these types of schools in Miami over the last 10 years. The types of schools available to students now is totally different than even a decade ago. The good magnet schools usually require an application and some form of lottery. Keep in mind not all charter schools are the same. Some are good and some are not so good. Check out the great schools website and you'll have a good idea.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:24 PM

874 posts, read 895,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TirantMartorell View Post
Miami Springs is a good option. It's an older established neighborhood with some character homes and the commute to FIU would not be bad.

I would also recommend Miami Lakes.

Re the magnet/charter school options - you'll need to do a lot of research on that. There's been an explosion of these types of schools in Miami over the last 10 years. The types of schools available to students now is totally different than even a decade ago. The good magnet schools usually require an application and some form of lottery. Keep in mind not all charter schools are the same. Some are good and some are not so good. Check out the great schools website and you'll have a good idea.
Miami Springs has some good elementary schools, and there are plenty of charter schools in both Doral and Miami Springs. There aren't as many rental options in Miami Springs, so you may end up in Doral, because there are just a lot more homes for rent here.

I actually just came back from a festival in Miami Springs, even if you can't manage to live there, you should check out the "small town" type activities they have to offer.

Ann

Old 04-19-2018, 03:31 AM

29 posts, read 19,659 times
you can get a 2 bedroom in Aventura with an A+ school. Waterways https://www.greatschools.org/florida...ys-K-8-Center/

Old 04-19-2018, 08:13 AM

64 posts, read 90,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miagal View Post
you can get a 2 bedroom in Aventura with an A+ school. Waterways https://www.greatschools.org/florida...ys-K-8-Center/
Aventura to FIU and back daily? No, thank you.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:44 PM

29 posts, read 19,659 times
Default you can get a 2 bedroom in coral gables

Douglas Grand is a nice building and they have a Publix connected at the garage. Your close to the amazing venetian pool and I think the schools are pretty good. Book store, restaurants, coffee places, bars and so on.
You could definitely find something for $2000 but you will be limited to probably 6-7 places.

Last edited by miagal; 04-19-2018 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: something was wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami