U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,772 times

Advertisements

The consequences of the housing meltdown we're all seeing it's a case of capitalism run amok where some big businesses and a lot of people made a lot of money. Everybody knew where all this was heading but nobody cared so long as the rich were getting richer, and now everybody that stood on the sidelines is paying.
It makes me mad to know how arbitrary and unfair Florida's Tax system is, my neighbor next door paid less than $1,000.00 in taxes, my neighbor in the front house paid $1,245.00, both homes are in better shape than mine and I ended up paying $ 3,956.00!! Outrageous!
I even found homes nearby that don't pay property taxes at all on account of having a low assessed value, minus tax exemption, minus another tax exemption of $ 50,000.00 for seniors = $0.00 in property taxes. We all get the same services so why some pay less, others nothing at all and too many like myself pay too much.
I see only one solution for all this mess, abolish the property tax system complety and collect all missed revenue by increasing the sales tax accordingly, this way EVERYBODY will pay their fair share to finance the state.

Last edited by Ray2050; 03-29-2008 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 10:59 AM

6,853 posts, read 20,658,054 times
Here you need this: http://election.dos.state.fl.us/init...df/45712-1.pdf

Abolish Property Taxes

Old 03-29-2008, 11:05 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,794,985 times
Fl partly makes up for lack of income tax by property taxes.

What's the difference in price from when your neighbors and you purchaced your properties?

Old 03-29-2008, 11:18 AM

3,644 posts, read 5,803,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray2050 View Post
I see only one solution for all this mess, abolish the property tax system complety and collect all missed revenue by increasing the sales tax accordingly, this way EVERYBODY will pay their fair share to finance the state.
You have my vote.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,726,598 times
I have lived here for 18 years and pay more taxes than anyone because of a mix-up in estateplanning. My lawyer made mistatkes and the tax assessor took advantage of it. If anyone has a case that can break the unfair system, it is me. Just have to find a willing lawyer to do it at no cost, or present the case myself. The current system is unfair taxation and needs to be overturned. We all know that property tax will never be eliminated, as the Government does not allow private property ownersip in the United States any longer.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:45 PM

41 posts, read 160,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray2050 View Post
The consequences of the housing meltdown we're all seeing it's a case of capitalism run amok where some big businesses and a lot of people made a lot of money. Everybody knew where all this was heading but nobody cared so long as the rich were getting richer, and now everybody that stood on the sidelines is paying.
It makes me mad to know how arbitrary and unfair Florida's Tax system is, my neighbor next door paid less than $1,000.00 in taxes, my neighbor in the front house paid $1,245.00, both homes are in better shape than mine and I ended up paying $ 3,956.00!! Outrageous!
I even found homes nearby that don't pay property taxes at all on account of having a low assessed value, minus tax exemption, minus another tax exemption of $ 50,000.00 for seniors = $0.00 in property taxes. We all get the same services so why some pay less, others nothing at all and too many like myself pay too much.
didn't you know how much your taxes were before you bought your house? didn't you know about the 3% tax cap rule, that applies to everybody with homestead exemption?. you had a choice to buy or not, also, we all don't receive the same services, some people without children still have to pay taxes for public schools.

If we had a real estate tax system without some sort of a cap when a property is purchased then we all be sitting ducks for speculators and crazy people who pay outrageous prices for real estate. but yes, I will agree to the sales tax system.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:49 PM

It would be more fair if it was based on purchase price, but it is not. California's property tax has been proven constitutional, Florida's is not and should be reformed.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:32 PM

41 posts, read 160,430 times
Isn't it for the most part?

Old 04-01-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokay57 View Post
Isn't it for the most part?
Not at all, I have lots taxed at 100,000.00 that I paid 10,000 for 10 years ago. My home cost 25,000.00 to build and the lot was 15,000.00 but is taxed at 400,000 +. The current system needs to be reformed, or property values need to drop by 80% for taxes to make sense.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:10 PM

147 posts, read 155,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Not at all, I have lots taxed at 100,000.00 that I paid 10,000 for 10 years ago. My home cost 25,000.00 to build and the lot was 15,000.00 but is taxed at 400,000 +. The current system needs to be reformed, or property values need to drop by 80% for taxes to make sense.
Is that house in Key Largo, or is it here in Miami? I think the keys are the last place to go to escape taxes. You would probably have better luck on a fair appraisal in Miami, if you have a neighborhood home that is not on the water. It's funny that a single wide in the Keys goes for $250,000 nowadays. A QUARTER MILLION DOLLAR TRAILER. A doublewide can fetch $350,000, and I have seen 'modular' homes with 25'-50' of waterfront fetch more than half a million dollars. That spending spree has come to a close, as asking prices have already gone down 10% in the keys. They will probably go down a lot more in the next couple years.

County officials are just as liable as the mortgage lenders for creating an atmosphere that had no visible ceiling. In Marathon, Keys, the county built a $7,000,000 fire station, a $47,000,000 addition to the high school. The Fire Station had a $400,000 "consulting fee." And the high school only had 610 students as of 2006, and the population of the school had been on the decline since 2000. Why, then, a $50 million dollar school? I am sure similar extravagant public works projects took place throughout the keys during the real estate boom. Now, the school is deciding whether or not to fire teachers because of a county education budget reduced by 10%.

I believe in the use of taxes to facilitate public services, but those who screw up people's lives on a grand scale should be beheaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami