Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times

Advertisements

OK, sounds like the Grove might be a good spot for us to check out. We are coming next May and will probably start in the Grove, then check out Brickell (condo) areas. It's such a big city that it's really hard to make sure you are moving to a safe place. Even if the commute is so-so, it's better to be in a safe area. We would prefer open ocean beach, but the bay is neat too. Being 15 min. away is just fine. Do people in the Grove need to evacuate as much as S. Beach during hurricane season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 04:20 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
We would prefer open ocean beach, but the bay is neat too. Being 15 min. away is just fine.
See my revision re "open ocean" -- some of the beaches of Key Biscayne are VERY nice.

Quote:
OK, sounds like the Grove might be a good spot for us to check out. We are coming next May and will probably start in the Grove, then check out Brickell (condo) areas. It's such a big city that it's really hard to make sure you are moving to a safe place. Even if the commute is so-so, it's better to be in a safe area.
Basically, the US1 corridor between downtown, including Brickell, The Roads, Grove, Gables, S Miami, all the way down to Pincrest and East Kendall are VERY safe.
There are a few small pockets of real poverty however, but this is way less than 10% of that total area.
You can "drive through" the whole area thanks to Google now:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...065,-80.243585
to check it out. You can't necesarily tell the good spots from bad, but still VERY cool.

Quote:
Do people in the Grove need to evacuate as much as S. Beach during hurricane season?
I assume you mean during the threat of a Cat 1 storm?
No, it doesn't appear so from this map:
http://www.miamidade.gov/oem/library...mage_DEMHS.pdf
Much of the Grove seems to be in a B evacuation zone, MBeach an A.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure of moving!

Last edited by planetsurf; 08-21-2008 at 04:37 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 05:35 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Wanttomoveeast, I am living in the Grove right now and I love it. There are restaraunts and bars everywhere and people are still out walking around at 3am. The place is very lively and there is a range of restaraunts from cheap to expensive. They have clubs and bars that play classic rock. I can't say I really feel unsafe anywhere around there, obviously you wouldn't see me walking around at night past SW32 but going during the day you wouldn't think anything of it.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
I got pickpocketed once in the Grove ! I wonder if it was the "burgler" ? That is an out of field crime you know!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:21 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
You can "drive through" the whole area thanks to Google now:
Coconut Grove, Miami, Miami-Dade, Florida, United States - Google Maps
to check it out. You can't necesarily tell the good spots from bad, but still VERY cool.
Tee hee! I just "walked" down the street my boyfriend used to live on (Day Ave, between Matilda and Virginia) and saw that the "Through the Looking Glass" compound he used to live in is still there. Just look for the VW bus on the north side of the street and a wooden fence. It was a cool place, but he did have his truck broken into and a locked up bike stolen off the second floor terrace in front of his apartment. The funkiest thing about that place was that the Krishna temple was a couple of doors down on the same street.

Still disappointed that I still can't "walk" by of our old apartments in South Miami.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:33 AM

Planet and all: Your information will really help us for our scouting trip next May. We are not bothered by poverty but obviously don't want to move to a bad area (not that poverty equates to crime, I don't believe that and if you want to argue, let's go to another thread!! )

Planet: That google link is awesome, thanks!! And yeah, I was talking a Cat 1. We are landlocked people and aren't used to evacuating because of hurricane threats. So we thought it best to not jump right into living near areas that evacuate more often than others. Plus, we are coming from many states away (Colo.) and therefore want to find the most suitable spot for us.

I think the Grove might be a good spot for us to get started. Here's the thing though, one of our top requirements is a pool. We need that to help us acclimate LOL. I didn't see tons of apt. listings in the Grove that had pools.

For commute, I'm in law and prefer to work in a big firm, I'm thinking Brickell is where I'll be. My DH is in IT so will probably be working who knows where, could be anywhere in the city, but I'm hoping the Grove will be central enough for him that he won't have a nightmare commute.

Thanks again everyone, I do appreciate it!!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 AM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
I think the Grove might be a good spot for us to get started. Here's the thing though, one of our top requirements is a pool. We need that to help us acclimate LOL. I didn't see tons of apt. listings in the Grove that had pools.

For commute, I'm in law and prefer to work in a big firm, I'm thinking Brickell is where I'll be. My DH is in IT so will probably be working who knows where, could be anywhere in the city, but I'm hoping the Grove will be central enough for him that he won't have a nightmare commute.

Thanks again everyone, I do appreciate it!!
The Grove is VERY central -- I commuted all the way to north Ft Lauderdale from C GAbles (10 minutes further down US1 than the Grove) for a couple of years. Only took me ~50 minutes door to door b/c I was mostly against traffic.

As to the pool thing -- other people that have more experince may be able to help more, but I think mostly the bigger condo-type places all have pools vs the smaller places in the 'heart' of the Grove. They are VERY shoe-horned in in most cases and just don't have room.

Good luck.

Last edited by planetsurf; 08-22-2008 at 11:14 AM..

Old 08-22-2008, 11:09 AM

well, it'll be a good starting point no matter. And thanks for verifying what I was hoping about my DH having to commute -- I think/hope my commute will be no big deal compared to his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami