Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2018, 07:26 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times

Advertisements

https://www.theladders.com/career-ad...ies-in-america

Interesting article...Miami ranks 3rd. Very good foodie city, especially with restaurants from Thomas Keller, Stephen Starr, Jean-Georges, Daniel Boulud, etc though I, personally, am not placing it ahead of NYC (must have scored low on the affordability criteria, definitely not quality/diversity)...not sure San Diego deserves to be in the top 10—definitely not ahead of New Orleans, D.C. or Boston, from a restaurant perspective, which were not in the top 10...not surprised at all with Portland, OR—great foodie city.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-19-2018 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 07:54 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
I'm a big supporter of Miami, but that list is ridiculous. Here's the methodology they used:

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-foodi...2/#methodology

Old 10-19-2018, 08:01 AM

Here is my top 10, heavily tilted towards restaurants since I do not cook and, therefore, rules out farmers markets--which some, especially out West, include as part of their criteria:

1. NYC
2. SF
3. Las Vegas
4. Chicago
5. Portand, OR
6. LA
7. Miami
8. New Orleans
9. Boston
10. DC

Vegas and Chicago could be flipped; Portland and LA could be flipped as well.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:55 AM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Las Vegas? I hate the food there, most are celebrity tourist traps that charge $20 for a dry over cooked burger. My family is a VIP with Wynn Resorts and MGM Resorts because she gambles $25,000 to $100,000 over a weekend, so I go often whenever she goes because we get free rooms, free food at any restaurant they own and free shows, so I've been to most of them. I'm a firm believer there is no celebrity chef that actually knows how to cook great food. They are just good actors/entertainers.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:16 PM

I agree most celeb chefs suck but there are some good ones—Jose Andres, Puck (or used to)....not a fan of Mario Batali, Brian Malarkey, etc.

Vegas seems to have restaurants represented from other areas of the country (LA, SF, NYC, even Miami) and has a good broad based offering. Also good / more Asian cuisine than we wil find here. Other faves of mine include Piero’s, Picasso, and L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Las Vegas? I hate the food there, most are celebrity tourist traps that charge $20 for a dry over cooked burger. My family is a VIP with Wynn Resorts and MGM Resorts because she gambles $25,000 to $100,000 over a weekend, so I go often whenever she goes because we get free rooms, free food at any restaurant they own and free shows, so I've been to most of them. I'm a firm believer there is no celebrity chef that actually knows how to cook great food. They are just good actors/entertainers.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:41 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You do realize that Vegas is made up of more than just the Strip, right? There is an entire 2.2 million population that eats at restaurants located all around the metropolitan area. Some of the Asian restaurants just on Spring Mountain Road alone are phenomenal. There are great Italian restaurants around town as well as a variety of other cuisines. (I lived in LV for several years before moving to Miami.) Prior to your next trip, I suggest that you visit the LV Forum here and ask the locals for some of their favorite off-strip restaurants. I think you'll enjoy yourself more than going back to one of the overhyped and overpriced places in the Strip hotels.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:37 PM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You do realize that Vegas is made up of more than just the Strip, right? There is an entire 2.2 million population that eats at restaurants located all around the metropolitan area. Some of the Asian restaurants just on Spring Mountain Road alone are phenomenal. There are great Italian restaurants around town as well as a variety of other cuisines. (I lived in LV for several years before moving to Miami.) Prior to your next trip, I suggest that you visit the LV Forum here and ask the locals for some of their favorite off-strip restaurants. I think you'll enjoy yourself more than going back to one of the overhyped and overpriced places in the Strip hotels.

Yes, I know that and when I go there on my own, I never eat at the strip. However, there are a lot of cities with better options than even off-strip, so I imagine the reason for rating Vegas so high is the "celebrity" restaurants. I used to live in California, so a lot of the time, I'd just drive there with my car. I've honestly been to Vegas probably more than 40 trips, not days, but trips... maybe more. I know the area all the way out to Summerlin even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: