Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 09:20 AM

622 posts, read 427,475 times

Advertisements

Couldn't they find an American seal instead of a Mexican one?
Politicians are to blame, as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 10:44 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHESTER MANIFOLD View Post
It's in Latin, as in the language around the seven hills of Rome from some 2,500 years ago.

The inscription on the seal means, roughly, "investigation, conservation, and seeding of knowledge, great is truth".

It has nothing to do with Mexico.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:25 PM

839 posts, read 734,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHESTER MANIFOLD View Post
OMG!!!111!!!111

It's in LATIN???? Miami is in the US, so it should be in American (Simplified) English!!111111!!!!

Those damn LATINOS are taking over the country!!! Waaahhhhh!!!

MAGA!!!!!!!

USA! USA! USA!

Old 12-01-2018, 02:52 PM

630 posts, read 526,099 times
Julius Caesar never missed any taco Tuesday while listening to some raggeaton, that's why !

Old 12-01-2018, 05:41 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
This has to be a troll thread. Has to be.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:00 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
I think it is the same language as "E pluribus unum", which is on the seal of the country Miami is in. Which politicians were to blame for.

Troll? "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Last edited by cebuan; 12-01-2018 at 07:14 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 04:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
The Miami “Magna est veritas” motto pegs the irony meter in this thread.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:19 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Julius Caesar never missed any taco Tuesday while listening to some raggeaton, that's why !
Hahahahahaha. But yeah, this can't be for real. As someone else noted, "E Pluribus Unum". I would think anyone with a fundamental understanding of, well, literally anything would realize Latin in this case doesn't have anything to do with Mexican, that Miami has other ethnic groups that are much more prominent there, and that even as an attempt at racism, which isn't okay either, this failed.. BAD. Also, shouldn't this have been in City v. City? LOL.

Just another epiphany-what is it that Americans have about (you come here, you speak English) mantra? Is it some kind of continued allegiance to the crown over other things, or some other sort of thing? What is it we have for the English, is there really that many here as a pct. that are even majority English descent? Coming from a background, where I have talked to many people I believe are decent who just "feel this way" at least on some level, I guess it can be translated as an interpretation (albeit, in many cases a false one), that people aren't adapting to American ideals or proud to be an American. Of course, they should be taking steps to be a part of American society, I don't think anyone denies that. But, I don't necessarily see why language has to be a part of that, especially considering not knowing English is a virtual roadblock to any level of economic mobility here anyways-the incentives are in place to be bilingual. But, I don't have any personal attachment to English, apart from comfort from having spoken it and the resulting comfort level with being where it is primarily spoken, than say Spanish, or any other language. In fact, I think one of the things that really in some ways limits are competitiveness and productivity is that so few people take steps to develop the ability to speak a 2nd language compared to other corners of the world. I get the attachment to religion (I personally am Christian)-and though I think many from religious conservative backgrounds go about their faith sometimes in a way that alienates others, I at least get the strong emotions that come with something like ones religion. I don't get it quite as much with language. Maybe it's just having lived in more places and experienced more things I have a broader perspective? I realize this thread is probably going to be closed sometime and all this post will have been more naught-but would like to continue dialogue at some point on the why behind why many Americans get so defensive about English, a language we don't really have any official reason to be attached to.

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 12-02-2018 at 04:33 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 05:01 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I think it is the same language as "E pluribus unum", which is on the seal of the country Miami is in. Which politicians were to blame for.
"Blame" for what? It is quite beautiful actually.

Also one must understand the role that the image of ancient Hellenic city-states and republican Rome role played in the minds of the men involved in the transition from European monarchical systems to representative republics in the midst of booming global commerce and on the cusp of industrialization.

For better and for worse.

A single language is key as a practical matter, but much more important are legality, rule of law, Constitutionality.

Today's European Union is an example of that.

For better and for worse.

Humans are known to abuse any "system" across time and geography and culture, it doesn't matter.

Good Luck!

Old 12-02-2018, 07:17 AM

622 posts, read 427,475 times
The language of Armoricans is English, not Lation American or Columbian.
What's next, gladiators and bullfights!
The buck stops here,

Last edited by CHESTER MANIFOLD; 12-02-2018 at 07:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: