Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 05:35 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times

Advertisements

Exactly!

Old 02-25-2007, 01:57 PM

6 posts, read 18,909 times
I'm from NYC and I've lived here a year. I hate it. In NYC, even the criminals have more class. You are far safer on the streets of NYC than you are in Miami -- at least the police RESPOND in NYC -- here they are as backwards as the people.
Might as well be in the back woods of Alabama or in a third world country. Funny thing is -- the Miami-ans walk around like they actually have CLASS. Hoochy momma's dressed like 42nd street ("AY, PAPI!") think they are 'cultured' just because they can hobnob with truly cultured people who come down here for vacation. I have to laugh.
Miami is the pits. Can't wait to get the hell out.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:46 PM

7 posts, read 50,757 times
Avoid These Cities Some of my friends and family members live in these AREAs they said the crime rates are high Liberty City,Carol City,Lil Haiti,Brown Subs,Opa Locka,North Miami,and Hialeah

Old 04-02-2007, 10:06 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,024 times
again..the wize one doesn't know all about N Miami...he should stop saying it's all bad there

Old 04-02-2007, 10:10 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,024 times
Thumbs up correctomundo

that about sums it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
South Miami is now part of the urban sprawl that is Dade county. It is unidentifiable as South Miami from Kendall or other areas. Sunset Dr has seen a renaisance with many trendy shops and cafes and condos being built. Sunset Place replaced the Bakery Center Mall from the early 90s. Metrorail runs along US 1. Most of the original nice areas of S Miami are still nice, but are caught up in the mess, congestion and crime that the rest of "suburban" South Florida is in also. The historically bad areas of S Miami are alive and well and as bad as ever.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:39 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,640 times
Thumbs down Miami ~ L. A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefundpirate View Post
What are the dangerous areas of the city of Miami.Would like to hear your stories.Personal encounters with underclass stories,etc about Miami and surrounding suburbs.What areas do you avoid and why? have you ever been victimized by crime in the Miami/Dade area? I am moving to Miami in a few months and am experienced in city living.I have lived in LA so gangs and crime are not a shocker to me.Would like to learn about crime and social issues in Miami area
There is a LOT of crime in Miami. Period. I don't think anyone can refute that statement. The worst areas in Miami-Dade is Liberty City and I think anyone here would agree with me. There is no cab service or deliveries to that area of any kind (inlcuding pizza) because the area is so violent and marginalized.

The social conflicts you see are: Puerto Ricans vs. Cubans and Hatians/Jamaicans vs Spanishy-speakers. There is also African-American vs. all foreign black people too, one of those things you would not think would happen. The whites find themselves in the crossfire, so do the old timers, and the good immigrants find themselves taking the bum rap too. It sucks for everyone, but the gangbangers/drug dealers/scum types.

Miami is basically a 3rd world country located in the southernmost portion of the USA. It is virtually a mix between poverty, wealth inequality, corrupt policing and decrepit social services. To make matters worse, all of these people living there speak different languages, there is rarely any conversations on the streets in English. Violence is everywhere.

If you hated L.A., get ready to hate Miami too. They are twin-sister cities. They have similar problems as L. A. does, except for the race-wars going on in L.A. right now. In Miami, that war is officially undeclared, yet on-going.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:08 AM

98 posts, read 531,689 times
Quote:
Miami is basically a 3rd world country located in the southernmost portion of the USA. It is virtually a mix between poverty, wealth inequality, corrupt policing and decrepit social services. To make matters worse, all of these people living there speak different languages, there is rarely any conversations on the streets in English. Violence is everywhere.
Violence is everywhere? In Miami? Incorrect. Just plain wrong and misleading. Care to back up that statement with some stats?

Sure there's some violence as in most cities, but your statement implies that there's some type of crime wave gripping Miami. Which is wrong. And incorrect. And not backed up with one iota of fact.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:45 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Hey check this out Miami has been ranked #2 for the last few years as Most Stressful Cities

The study reports that Miami has the highest violent crime rate as well as one of the highest property crime rates. Making Miami even more stressful is the long commuting time, a high unemployment rate, and a high rate of divorce. Despite these factors, Miami residents manage to maintain a positive mental attitude.

BTW the Miami-Dade Counties murder rate is up actually.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:19 AM

166 posts, read 986,405 times
Well, let's see...I have no idea where in the heck I was. I was driving somewhere in Dade county trying to get somewhere. Problem was I couldn't find anybody that spoke English. I grew up in Manhattan Beach, in NYC. I don't remember the curriculum to include Spanish. The school I attended was a great school in Manhattan Beach, too. I remember I was at least 3 grades ahead of the kids in the Broward County. All of us in Manhattan Beach were American's that spoke English fluently.

All I know is...we were driving around for literally hrs. looking for anybody that spoke English. We couldn't find anybody. So, after hrs. of being "lost" we finallly decided to go to a place that resembled Carol City or Liberty City. I figured I could find an intelligent person to have a decent conversation with. Well, I was wrong. We immediately drove down one street and a gang of teenage kids grabbed a kid that was about 6 or 7 and pushed him in front of our car. We stopped and they tried to open both our car doors to rip us off. I had my cell phone out and for whatever reason (I believe we had divine protection) all of a sudden, everybody backed off...and we drove off. I know they were going to rip us off, but something freaked them all out and they ran. They put a little ghetto boy in front of our car. They risked his life to try to steal and they would try to steal I don't know. I don't travel with more than three or four dollars. I only travel with fantastic plastic. I remember the last time I had $80 in cash, somebody went into my purse and stole it at the Coral Square Mall, in Coral Springs. Ever since that incident I never carried more than a few dollars in cash. I also had somebody take my purse in Hallendale, but by that time I knew not to carry any cash. All they got was a few coins, stamps and used make up! LOL!

Anyway, after that experience with the little ghetto boy, it's been a very rare occasion where I would ever go down there. Nobody would want to mess with us anyway. I have even seen people walk around with guns years ago when they had the riots. Huge machine guns! I don't think they do that now, but I do remember that back then. My mother was the court reporter for that particular court case. It was the overtown riots.

I think that place really sucks! Sorry, you want my real opinion or not? I would rather walk down a NYC street anyday than a street in Miami. I love NYC...as a matter of fact I never felt scared walking down any street in Manhattan Beach any time of the day or evening. But, Miami...ha, what a joke! And, I'm from NYC. I'm used to insane people screaming out obscene vulgarites and people being spit on lying around on the floors. People going to the bathroom right in front of you in the Bowery. That's a common site in NYC. Huge women getting on the subways beating anybody that get's in their ways. I've seen a few fights on the subways, had insane people start screaming at me! Actually, I can relate with these people. And, at least I can start a stimulating converstion that gives them hope. My husband and I can actually relate with them. I still think I would rather walk the streets of NYC anyday!

Last edited by Angelrocks; 04-03-2007 at 10:42 AM..

Old 04-13-2007, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,394 times
Well Miami still does have nice safe places to live but the chances of finding them are about the same as finding a job that doesnt require spanish. Brown Sub, Liberty City, and North Miami Beach are extremely dangerous and police officers cant go near the trianlge in Opa Locka without having 3 or more cars on hand with more on the way even in a routine traffic stop. What I learned about South Beach is that it is full of people from other places that rob people and jet. I heard about mainly people from Baltimore who hang out there and do that but they never leave that beach area to go over the bridge into Overtown. You can check out areas like Key Biscayne, Brickell, and areas out west such as Doral/Virginia Gardens (If u can afford it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami