Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 04:19 PM

154 posts, read 159,133 times

Advertisements

Well obviously Miami is. Their ego is almost as high as a New Yorker lol.

Try For Myers or Sarasota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 05:45 PM

7,375 posts, read 6,429,894 times
Yes, smaller provincial towns are more friendlier because there’s less people to compete with but also less to do.

People in Naperville are nicer than Chicago; people in Sebastopol are nicer than SF, people in Bakersfield are nicer than LA; people in Sealy are nicer than Houston; people in Pahrump are nicer than Vegas; people in Holguin are nicer than Havana, etc etc etc ...heck, people are friendlier at Nassau Community College than Cornell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeOntarioLiving View Post
Well obviously Miami is. Their ego is almost as high as a New Yorker lol.

Try For Myers or Sarasota

Last edited by elchevere; 12-12-2018 at 06:18 PM..

Old 12-12-2018, 08:27 PM

530 posts, read 1,453,898 times
Miami is certainly up there when it comes to rudeness. In a city where hotels out number office buildings you would think they would have learned some hospitality.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:33 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,097,039 times
Miami is by far and away the rudest place I have been in the US. People try to explain it away as being a big city, or claiming other places are just as trashy. Not true. LA, Chicago, Dallas, NYC...all places are much larger and there isn't a rude vibe like in Miami. People who deny this most likely haven't traveled anywhere past Orlando or enjoy drinking the kool aid or are one of these rude people. Just bc this obnoxious behavior is normalized here doesn't mean it's like this everywhere else. I always have said, people who embrace and have affection for Miami's nastiness love it because they can act horribly here and get away with it, unlike anywhere else.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:07 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,151,743 times
In New York or Chicago Im treated with respect no matter where I go. People are actually friendly and approachable . I can even have a conversation with anyone as I walk the streets.
Chicago being more friendly, even the homeless people in the streets are nice people to talk to.

Miami is not even a city. So people should start dropping that bullcrap.

Everyone I know from LA ( which i don’t even consider a city but a bunch of suburbs searching for a city) tells me how rude Miamians are.

I put Miamians in their place anyway. But I wish I didn’t have to.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:22 PM

482 posts, read 413,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
People who deny this most likely ..........or are one of these rude people. Just bc this obnoxious behavior is normalized here doesn't mean it's like this everywhere else. I always have said, people who embrace and have affection for Miami's nastiness love it because they can act horribly here and get away with it, unlike anywhere else.

Bingo! +1 for you!

Makes perfect sense...and this explains elchevere's arrogant attitude as well.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:14 PM

Not arrogance...I’ve lived in other big boy cities such as NYC, SF, and SoCal and am used to cities and an East Coast upbringing. Like it or not, Miami has evolved from a part time southern city to a full time cosmopolitan city. With that comes higher costs and more people.

This seems to be an issue for some who live in the past and/or whose income or wealth has not kept up with the COL and/ or Miami attracting more transplants from the US and abroad and/or those from more provincial or rural towns. If you have been priced out or your commute has doubled, look in the mirror—not at others. Fortunately, I can afford to live and socialize in nicer areas and run into similar people (US born and foreigners) with less incidents (outside of traffic related) than you seem to. It’s not arrogance, it’s reality. Life is like tennis—want to improve your game, play and learn from those better than you. But if blaming others for potential shortcomings instead of focusing on how you can better yourself is your thing, have at it hoss. Life is too short and my enjoyment of Miami is not diminished because others, such as yourself, do not enjoy it as much or at all.. Miami has its shortcomings, but so does every city—more things than not tick off my boxes living here (weather, restaurants, nightlife, proximity to where I vacation, no state income tax, pro sports teams, ocean/beach access, women, cultural activities, COL less than NY or CA yet still great lifestyle, etc) than to be consumed about rudeness.

What’s your story?

[quote=Johnathon Hills;53885122]Bingo! +1 for you!

Makes perfect sense...and this explains elchevere's arrogant attitude as well.[/QUOTE

Last edited by elchevere; 12-14-2018 at 02:13 PM..

Old 12-14-2018, 01:49 PM

170 posts, read 188,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
Bingo! +1 for you!

Makes perfect sense...and this explains elchevere's arrogant attitude as well.
Thankfully there aren’t a lot of d-bags like this in Miami.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:15 PM

482 posts, read 413,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
This seems to be an issue for some who live in the past and/or whose income or wealth has not kept up with the COL and/ or Miami attracting more transplants from the US and abroad. If you have been priced out or your commute has doubled, look in the mirror—not at others. Fortunately, I can afford to live and socialize in nicer areas and run into similar people (US born and foreigners) with less incidents (outside of traffic related) than you seem to. It’s not arrogance, it’s reality. Life is like tennis—want to improve your game, play and learn from those better than you. But if blaming others for potential shortcomings instead of focusing on how you can better yourself is your thing, have at it hoss. Life is too short and my enjoyment of Miami is not diminished because others, such as yourself, do not enjoy it as much or at all.. Miami has its shortcomings, but so does every city—more things than not tick off my boxes living here (weather, restaurants, nightlife, proximity to where I vacation, no state income tax, pro sports teams, ocean/beach access, women, cultural activities, COL less than NY or CA yet still great lifestyle, etc) than to be consumed about rudeness.
A- See the highlighted areas for examples of you being arrogant.
B- I believe you're a troll; someone who has the kind of lifestyle that you purport to have isn't sitting on city-date forums all day, talking about how great they are. There's a good chance they've never heard of this site.
C- Yes, you know nothing of my life. And that's how I prefer to keep it. If you choose to life your "life", or rather, your "exploits" (real or imagined) via C-D, that's your call, hoss.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:22 PM

Not a troll (though congratulations on reaching your 50th post), retiring early and comfortably (today is day 1) at age 59 and enjoying Brickell and South Florida, which I moved to from SoCal by choice 2 years ago. Doesn’t matter to me if you—a complete stranger—believe me or not, at least 1 other frequent contributor on this forum whom I grab meals with and knows me can verify what I’ve stated. Your argument about me being presumptuous might have merit if you, yourself, were not presumptuous.

If that makes me arrogant, guilty as charged. Miami is not for everybody and, as stated earlier, is not nirvana but the pluses outweigh the negatives, people and all.

All viewpoints welcome on this board and hopefully one day I will learn something about Miami (good or bad) from you on a future thread... I’m particularly open to suggestions on new restaurants and cultural events, which I frequently provide here on CD—as well as Yelp (Elite), TripAdvisor (Destination Expert) and a Cigar blog (next week from Havana).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
A- See the highlighted areas for examples of you being arrogant.
B- I believe you're a troll; someone who has the kind of lifestyle that you purport to have isn't sitting on city-date forums all day, talking about how great they are. There's a good chance they've never heard of this site.
C- Yes, you know nothing of my life. And that's how I prefer to keep it. If you choose to life your "life", or rather, your "exploits" (real or imagined) via C-D, that's your call, hoss.
R

Last edited by elchevere; 12-14-2018 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami