Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 05:36 PM

5 posts, read 6,862 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm just back from a 3 weeks trip alone in Florida.

I did about 3'200 miles by car, visited some nice places and never felt unsafe, excepted in one place… Back at home, I did some search about this place and it seems that some people felt the same, as I can see in reviews (Google and Yelp).

This place is the Mall at 163rd Street… I was driving around, had to go toilet and I've seen there was a Marshall's there. I had some things to buy at Marshall's, so I decided to do a stop there and… Omg…

I've never seen such a creepy place… This mall is totally empty, only the Marshall's is open, in 2nd floor, all others shops are empty behind metal grills…

The lifts aren't working and the glass window of one lift is broken with glass parts still on the floor…

The interior of the mall is so empty that every noise resound… There is also a nasty sewer smell in all the mall… And the toilets… Looks like nobody did clean them since 1 year… I was so scared to be killed in those toilets I couldn't go and quickly left…

I never felt so unsafe in a mall, all the atmosphere there was creepy and unhealthy, just incredible…

Do someone was recently there and felt the same?

I just don't understand why this mall is still open. It's totally abandoned excepted the Marshall's… And I don't understand why this Marshall's is still there because they have probably 0 customers…

After some searching, I found that all the neighborhood is unsafe and that there is some robbery there, true?

It seems that as a tourist, I don't really know areas and sometimes I took risks… lol

Last edited by Hitman70; 12-17-2018 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 07:09 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,323,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman70 View Post

After some searching, I found that all the neighborhood is unsafe and that there is some robbery there, true?

It seems that as a tourist, I don't really know areas and sometimes I took risks… lol
Yes, not very safe at all.

Back in the hey-day, that was the mall to go to. Since the 90s, all the stores left, no idea how its still around honestly.

I lived in N Miami for 4 years near there, drove by it all the time but knew it was a dump and never went in.

Plus, why would someone go there honestly? Aventura mall is 10-12 mins away and is one of the nicest malls in the state. (and the 3rd biggest in the U.S). And there are TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc up in that area too.

That Walmart next door is atrocious also (like most in Miami).

Old 12-17-2018, 08:46 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,878,999 times
The area has gone downhill fast over the past two decades and that's whats become of the mall.The truth is a good percentage of malls in the US are becoming dead malls,look up the dead mall series by youtuber "This is Dan Bell".I think my parents took me to this mall a couple of times when I was a kid,this wasnt the area we lived in but that shows what another poster mentioned,that this was a popular mall back in the day that we traveled 30 miles or so to visit it.

Last edited by doom1001; 12-17-2018 at 09:29 PM..

Old 12-17-2018, 09:13 PM

1,332 posts, read 2,170,328 times
There's actually a page on Dead Malls with an article from 2006. This mall has been dead, a long, long, long time. It actually started its decline in the early/mid 80's after the Aventura Mall was built. All the stores just went to the newer mall 10 minutes up the road.

DeadMalls.com: The Mall at 163rd St: North Miami Beach, Florida

Old 12-18-2018, 01:29 AM

18,082 posts, read 18,681,854 times
Out of all the things to do around here, how in the hell did you figure to go to the 163rd street mall?

Wow, lol.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:41 AM

5 posts, read 6,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Out of all the things to do around here, how in the hell did you figure to go to the 163rd street mall?

Wow, lol.

Ye…

As I said, was Driving around, had to go toilet and I've seen this Marshall's. Had to go Marshall's too, so I stopped there and was shocked lol.

Didn't even see the Avendura mall

Old 12-18-2018, 04:39 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,387,847 times
Yeah I remember all the ads for this mall back in the day. We even drove from Palm Beach county to go there.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:08 AM

622 posts, read 419,950 times
Malls are bound for extinction,,or becoming very specialized

Old 12-18-2018, 07:21 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,878,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman70 View Post

Ye…

As I said, was Driving around, had to go toilet and I've seen this Marshall's. Had to go Marshall's too, so I stopped there and was shocked lol.

Didn't even see the Avendura mall
Best public bathrooms,Barnes and Noble!!!

Oopps those are nearly extinct as well,honestly just find a good branded hotel for a bathroom!!

Old 12-18-2018, 09:08 AM

399 posts, read 720,973 times
I went to the Mall at 163 St in April 1993 during a visit (was living in Southern California at the time). It wasn't great, but certainly not as shabby as it apparently is now. I even took the MDT 22 bus from my hotel (Howard Johnson on NW 167 St/2 Av, which is long gone and a Toyota dealership not sits on that spot). Once I moved here in 1998, I may have gone once or twice, as others said, Aventura was much nicer, and I've always lived in Broward County, so I would go to the malls up there. MDT still has somewhat of a bus hub at the mall, but otherwise, not much going on for it, I haven't been there in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami