Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 08:36 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,589,715 times

Advertisements

No, it's now for NewYorkRicans. Cubans are good people with good food too. I love Cuban food. and a Mojito to wash it down.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:22 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,143,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
Recently, I've noticed a lot of Cuban bashing.
I finally realized that to many, seeing someone speak Spanish means that the person must be Cuban. This would have been correct some 37 years ago when I arrived as a child from Cuba; however, this is no longer true.
I have seen the Columbian, Nicaraguan, Salvadoran and Venezuelan immigrations, amongst others.
Gripe all you might. Cubans transformed Miami. When I arrived in Miami, there were for rentals signs that stated “No Blacks, No Cubans, No dogs.”
20 years later, Cubans owned Miami. We didn’t do it on food stamps. (Ok, maybe the illicit drug trade helped, the Casablanca good old days.)
Oh, yes, I could go on for quite a while with things that are wrong with Miami, and with the specifics of many years of first hand observations, not the generalizations written here. But let’s start with this: due to immigration policies (or lack thereof) Miami…it isn’t just for Cubans anymore.
Wow.... A while back I got into some "exchanges" on a few threads about Cubans - now and then. I did say that "Cubans built Miami" and I got some flack about that. I'm one of those that came in 1961 as a little girl ALONE. My mother sent me ahead to a friend's house and then she came a few months later, not really knowing if we would ever see each other again.

I'm glad to see this thread.

Last edited by vpcats; 12-20-2006 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: missing word added

Old 12-20-2006, 01:31 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 431,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
Recently, I've noticed a lot of Cuban bashing.
I finally realized that to many, seeing someone speak Spanish means that the person must be Cuban. This would have been correct some 37 years ago when I arrived as a child from Cuba; however, this is no longer true.
I have seen the Columbian, Nicaraguan, Salvadoran and Venezuelan immigrations, amongst others.
Gripe all you might. Cubans transformed Miami. When I arrived in Miami, there were for rentals signs that stated “No Blacks, No Cubans, No dogs.”
20 years later, Cubans owned Miami. We didn’t do it on food stamps. (Ok, maybe the illicit drug trade helped, the Casablanca good old days.)
Oh, yes, I could go on for quite a while with things that are wrong with Miami, and with the specifics of many years of first hand observations, not the generalizations written here. But let’s start with this: due to immigration policies (or lack thereof) Miami…it isn’t just for Cubans anymore.
You got it, man. Miami is a hub for illegal aliens of all nations. Ever wondered why crime is so high there?

As for Cuban drugs... "say hello to mah littlo friend"... bang bang bang....

Old 02-11-2009, 08:16 AM

809 posts, read 2,313,117 times
Even so, alot of law abiding hard working people came to Miami via the mariel boat lift. You had your pure unadulterated scumbags, but many of them came here to work and chase the american dream the right way.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:22 AM

263 posts, read 573,818 times
"Miami…it isn’t just for Cubans anymore."

I do agree. Problem is your well-educated English speaking folks have moved out.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:25 AM

263 posts, read 573,818 times
"No, it's now for NewYorkRicans."

Not like Orlando. Orlando takes the crown in the "NYRican" category. There is an unbelievable amount in Orlando.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:38 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,297,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It is stunning to hear about doctor's and ranch owner's that had their whole lives taken away from them, everything that they worked so hard for.
It's happening to day in Zimbobwe where squatters, with government approval, took over the wealthy land-owners farms. It happens everywhere where leftists gain power. Even in this country we are seeing a nationalization of banking and related industries and recent proposals to limit income of CEOs. What right does government have making those decisions?

Quote:
I wish everyone would know about that history. It is truly gut wrenching.
I wish everyone would read them too so that it has a lesser chance of happening here.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:39 AM

763 posts, read 3,528,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I agree with you totally. My parents came to this county in the early sixties with four kids and the clothes on their backs. My father worked two full-time jobs and a part time. My mother worked full-time and studied. She became a pharmacist. They had my brother and I. A total of six kids. Although we never had everything that we wanted, we always had clothing, shelter and food to eat. The best part about it was no government help. Now, we are all grown up and live as law abiding citizens. Some of the Cubans that came to Miami in the 80's ruined the image of the hard working Cubans and unfortunately most of the Cubans that are arriving now have a totally different mentallity. They have been raised in a communist regime and think that by coming here they won't have to work and still own houses and drive fancy cars. Since it doesn't work that way, they start looking into crimes like drugs and fraud and even home invasion robbery. I also think that with the influx of people from different Latin American countries, there are people with no values and who lived as criminals just to survive in their countries. when they get to Miami, they realize that the criminal justice system here is a joke and they could get away with murder.
Good Luck.
I completely agree! Well said! Miami today is a city with people from everywhere, for everyone. Cubans came and were hard working and made positive changes for Miami (I'm a white non-Hispanic living in Miami).

Old 02-11-2009, 11:06 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,605,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
I completely agree! Well said! Miami today is a city with people from everywhere, for everyone. Cubans came and were hard working and made positive changes for Miami (I'm a white non-Hispanic living in Miami).
Yay~! Hearing that just makes me so giddy! I'm so happy for you!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:10 PM

640 posts, read 1,820,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
It's happening to day in Zimbobwe where squatters, with government approval, took over the wealthy land-owners farms. It happens everywhere where leftists gain power. Even in this country we are seeing a nationalization of banking and related industries and recent proposals to limit income of CEOs. What right does government have making those decisions?

I wish everyone would read them too so that it has a lesser chance of happening here.
Yeah, comparing Robert Mugabe to Democrats, which is what you are actually doing, makes sense. At lest you didn't call them all Hitlers. From your perspective, anyone to the right of Rush Limbaugh is a communist. You should form a coalition with the old-time Cubans.

A lot of the big banks are in reality insolvent. They have a lot of toxic debt on their books. They did that because of their poor management. In fact, through deregulation, the government gave them enough rope with which to hang themselves. They will eventually collapse without government assistance.

The choice is to let them collapse, with the real possibility that the world economy would spiral downward as a result, or for the government to bail them out. As a conservative, I would expect you to maintain the position that the free market should prevail, and the banks should be allowed to collapse.

But if they do get a bailout, with taxpayer money, then the taxpayers have a say as to how things are run. The current managers ran their businesses into the ground, doing what they thought was good.

You know about Zimbabwe? Good. Why don't you leave the right-wing echo chamber for a moment and read about the banking crisis in Sweden in the 90's, and how that was handled.

Given your rigid ideology, do you ever stop and think about why the quality of life is higher in Sweden than it is here? Or why the health care system is so much better in France? Is it possible that religious devotion to any political ideology might not be the best path?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami