Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:48 AM

5 posts, read 20,337 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I have been trolling these forums for some time and now I need some advice. After living in Dupont Circle for 2 years and being a total city person who loves to walk everywhere, we now want nice weather on top of the great amenities available in the larger US cities. I love South Beach! I also love Dupont Circle but DC winters are not fun anymore.

I am used to city noise (Cheney used to drive by our apt twice a day, ambulances screaming by often, drunk people yelling in the streets) and want to be at least a block or two away from the beach. I am used to paying DC rental prices and looking at the prices for nice areas in South Beach don't scare me. I am looking for a 2 bedroom around $1200 - $1400 and it looks like we will need to buy one car between my husband and I (he works from home).

I want to be near a hospital and my husband and I are huge farmers market people. I also want to be able to walk to some sort of grocery store as well and a few great restaurants. What are some of the better areas in South Beach? Should I move further north of South Beach? Thanks so much!

Last edited by Spokey; 04-08-2008 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 10:39 AM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times
The area south of 5th Street in South Beach is very good ( but very expensive ), and overall South Beach is good, but is very congested.

But with that budget ( $1,200-$1,400 for a 2br ) will be difficult to find something good in South Beach / Miami Beach ( median rent for a 2br about $1,500-$3,000 ). Try Mid-Beach ( around 41st Street - about $1,400-$2,000 ) and North-Beach ( around 71st Street and Collins Ave - about $1,375-$1,700 ). Also try Sunny Isles Beach / Surfside ( north of Miami Beach - about $1,325-$1,900 ) and Downtown Miami / Brickell ( about $1,400-$2,500 ).

Old 04-08-2008, 10:40 AM

45 posts, read 152,131 times
If you want to live near a hospital, you'll probably want to live on the West side of South Beach near Alton. There are a number of high-rise condos in that area that are just a few miles south of Mt Sinai hospital. I would not recommend living on the East Side of SoBe unless you really don't mind drunkards, bums, your car getting broken into, etc. You can walk to the exciting places from the West end, or take a taxi.

For a 2/2b in your price range, you may have difficulties if you want a nice place with amenities and/or a view of the water. If you are okay with an older art-deco 2/2 (probably with no washer/dryer, street paking, no view, cockroaches, etc.), then you might find a 2/2 in that price range. For the nicer high-rise condos, expect to pay $2,000 to $2,500 (if you are lucky) for a two-bedroom. South of Fifth is also a good place to live - but even more expensive.

Alternatively, you could go up to Mid-beach, North beach or Surfside - you won't have the excitement of Southbeach, and it's not as 'walkable', but you may find some nicer condos to rent in your price range.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:13 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,798 times
Hello! I have made that same move from DC to South Beach. Yeah, didn't turn out so good. Anyway, DM me if you want the rambling specifics.

To answer your questions, 1400 is a little low for a 2 bedroom. You'll have to push that up a little.

I do NOT think it's possible to live on Miami Beach without two cars. You can walk to restaurants and clubs, but unless you both live and work on South Beach, you're both going to need cars. I actually did the exact same thing - got a 2 bedroom and only used one car, and took the bus. Man, I can't tell you how terrible the bus system was.

I don't remember any farmer's markets - anyone else know of one on the beach?

Believe it or not, South Beach is pretty small. If you live back on Alton or West Ave, there is a nicer grocery store back there and you can walk to Lincoln Road.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:24 PM

5 posts, read 20,337 times
Default Thanks guys!!

I am guessing we'd have to move inside Sobe and not on the beach or move up north from all of your recs, maybe the Sunny Isles? I really really want to be able to walk to the beach, now I am thinking 4 blocks or less.

My husband works from home and I will just find a part-time "fun" job nearby where ever we live. I do speak a little spanish, just need to brush up on it. My husband makes upwards of $100k but we are in the save money mode since we will be trying for a baby. We only want to be in Miami Beach for about 2 years or so, just for the "living by the beach" experience.

I was thinking about 1 car and a scooter =)

Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 PM

107 posts, read 367,173 times
If he works from home then one car and a scooter would be perfect. You will be fine. Also depending where you live, parking can be an issue, another reason to not get two cars. I live in Sobe (south of 5th), moved down here from NYC last year. Yes there is farmers market on Lincoln Rd every Sunday I believe. I walk or bike everywhere. I do have a car but only use it when I have to go into big scary Miami (maybe once a week max). I agree about living by the beach, it's a great experience. Definitely try it for a few years. If you enjoy walking and town-life don't live above 23rd St. It does get cheaper as you go up to North Beach and Sunny Isles etc, but not much cheaper. Maybe 25% cheaper, for same square footage.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:08 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times
If you're going to be living and working in South Beach, you do not need a car. If you plan on going to Downtown or other places in Miami outside of South Beach, you can always take the bus, or the car if you really need to. Having a car in places like Miami Beach and Downtown can be more of a hassle and annoyance than a benefit.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:00 PM

65 posts, read 232,354 times
Living in South Beach with a kid? You should be open to other beach communities that are more family oriented, Bal Harbour to start.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,002 times
Its so funny, I have been living in Dupont Circle in DC the past year and am considering a move to Miami for a job in a couple of months. How has Miami treated you so far?

Old 03-04-2011, 09:42 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Check out North Beach and the eastern part of the Normandy Island...but within your budget be willing to settle for a 1-br or an older building, and possibly street parking. Actually, the "beach side" of South Beach is not easily walkable to the grocery stores. You'd need to take the South Beach local bus or cycle due to distance.

Sunny Isles Beach is still quite car-centric with a mix of high-rises and strip malls, but you'd get a pretty nice condo with amenities for $1400. Try to stay close to (but north of) the "Sunny Isles Beach Blvd." causeway.

BTW: $1400/2br is "DC rental prices?" Ummm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami