Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 06:29 AM

3 posts, read 2,938 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just graduated college and my boyfriend and I were thinking about moving to delray Florida. He just got a job there and I am in the process of finalizing one. I am originally from nyc And have always loved the big city feel and went to college in Boston. Is delray a young area for people in their 20s? Or should I stay in nyc/Boston east coast area: I’m very conflicted. Any help is appreciated. I do love big cities. I am an artist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 06:41 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natmarie View Post
Hi,

I just graduated college and my boyfriend and I were thinking about moving to Delray Beach, Florida. He just got a job there and I am in the process of finalizing one. I am originally from NYC, have always loved the big city feel, and went to college in Boston. Is Delray Beach a young area for people in their 20s? Or should I stay in NYC/Boston east coast area: I’m very conflicted. Any help is appreciated. I do love big cities. I am an artist.

Please study a map.

You posted in the Miami sub-forum (City of Miami and Dade County). Delray Beach is a relatively small beach town plus inland neighborhoods in Palm Beach County, two counties up from Miami. These are huge counties.

The "cities" of West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale (Broward County) are closer to Delray Beach than Miami. Only the downtown/Brickell area of the City of Miami and a few other points in Dade County have a "big city feel".

Delray Beach is mostly a sleepy small town except for winter when northern "snowbirds" come down. Yes, there are year-round artists who live there and try to sell their wares to the northerners "in season". But my impression is that these artists are also experienced people with their own money from other sources to back them up, not struggling young artists.

There could be exceptions, but in any case you should probably ask the moderators to transfer this thread to the Palm Beach County sub-forum for a better chance at more precise answers from current residents.

Having said that, my gut feeling is that you are better off in the NYC/Boston area in your 20s, but if you and your boyfriend are determined to carve out a life in Delray Beach, for better and for worse, then it is certainly possible.

Good Luck!

Old 02-05-2019, 07:00 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Delray Beach is a town, not a big city...there is a lively 6-8 block stretch, Atlantic Avenue, that a person from NYC would outgrow in 6 weeks (think Garden City or Rockville Centre, NY but with better weather). If you were from upstate NY it might work, but not from NYC—especially in your 20’s...unless you move to Miami or Miami Beach (1 hour south) your needs would be better served in the Northeast for city life. Also, lots of transplants in that area—especially retirees. Not saying you couldn’t enjoy yourself or that it is impossible but Delray and surrounding towns is nothing remotely close to city life—more like Long Island/suburbia or Orange County, CA v LA for a comparable reference.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-05-2019 at 07:10 AM..

Old 02-05-2019, 11:33 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
What a strange comparison...

Old 02-05-2019, 01:14 PM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
What is strange...do you consider suburban Garden City, LI or OC, CA urban?...OP is from NY, as am I—the comparison v. urban should be evident to her. Delray to Miami (or any urban city, especially NYC) is like Garden City to NYC or OC to LA. Delray has zero big city feel, which the OP prefers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
What a strange comparison...

Last edited by elchevere; 02-05-2019 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-07-2019, 06:09 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
What is strange...do you consider suburban Garden City, LI or OC, CA urban?...OP is from NY, as am I—the comparison v. urban should be evident to her. Delray to Miami (or any urban city, especially NYC) is like Garden City to NYC or OC to LA. Delray has zero big city feel, which the OP prefers.
no big city feel between Miami and Jacksonville...

Delray is a trendy area for artists or for wealthy snow birds. Expensive homes/condos dot Atlantic Ave from the train tracks to the beach. Between the tracks and I-95 is pretty run down.

What's your budget? Better be at least $2k/mo for something decent, $3k/mo for something nice.

Also, the new Brightline goes through Atlantic ave about 9+ times per day, blows the horn the whole way because of all the people who don't move out of the way for an incoming train. Could get pretty old pretty quick.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
no big city feel between Miami and Jacksonville...

Delray is a trendy area for artists or for wealthy snow birds. Expensive homes/condos dot Atlantic Ave from the train tracks to the beach. Between the tracks and I-95 is pretty run down.

What's your budget? Better be at least $2k/mo for something decent, $3k/mo for something nice.

Also, the new Brightline goes through Atlantic ave about 9+ times per day, blows the horn the whole way because of all the people who don't move out of the way for an incoming train. Could get pretty old pretty quick.
111 First Delray looks quite nice, but it sits right on the tracks!

Old 02-08-2019, 05:48 AM

35 posts, read 32,963 times
Hi! I’m in my mid 20’s, my company moved me to Fort Lauderdale for work (but I live farther up, about 20 minutes from Delray). Delray is my favorite place I’ve been to in South Florida so far - beautiful beach, cute little busy strip in the center, BUT if you love big cities, this is a wonderful place to vacation, not live. My experience so far: I miss being in an urban, walkable city, with architecture and history, a lot of young professionals, etc etc...the weather here is gorgeous, as is the proximity to the beaches. On the negatives, the drivers here terrify me, there’s no public transport, you have to drive EVERYWHERE, and it’s strip mall after strip mall. Also, it’s a lot of retirees and tourists. No big city feel (I’m not talking about Miami. I am talking about Fort Lauderdale / Delray area. Definitely visit for a week or two in person if you haven’t already (I made that mistake)! This is solely my experience and opinion. If I were you, I would absolutely stick with NYC or Boston. I’m looking to relocate as well, and I would be much happier to come back when I’m near retirement, but that is a long way away. Good luck in your decision!

Old 02-08-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsov View Post
Hi! I’m in my mid 20’s, my company moved me to Fort Lauderdale for work (but I live farther up, about 20 minutes from Delray). Delray is my favorite place I’ve been to in South Florida so far - beautiful beach, cute little busy strip in the center, BUT if you love big cities, this is a wonderful place to vacation, not live. My experience so far: I miss being in an urban, walkable city, with architecture and history, a lot of young professionals, etc etc...the weather here is gorgeous, as is the proximity to the beaches. On the negatives, the drivers here terrify me, there’s no public transport, you have to drive EVERYWHERE, and it’s strip mall after strip mall. Also, it’s a lot of retirees and tourists. No big city feel (I’m not talking about Miami. I am talking about Fort Lauderdale / Delray area. Definitely visit for a week or two in person if you haven’t already (I made that mistake)! This is solely my experience and opinion. If I were you, I would absolutely stick with NYC or Boston. I’m looking to relocate as well, and I would be much happier to come back when I’m near retirement, but that is a long way away. Good luck in your decision!
Where in Fort Lauderdale is your office? You should move to Fort Lauderdale and you will be much happier, I think, with the rhythm here.

Check out this cool guys' IG for all that's happening in FTL.
https://www.instagram.com/urbnplanr

Old 02-13-2019, 12:33 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
That’s like asking would a 22 year old like pizza or sushi?

Ummm it depends on the 22 year old, they are night and day different
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami