Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 07:38 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,318,816 times

Advertisements

Mods should write a script that automatically moves every Miami thread inquiring about walkable neighborhoods to a different state like NY forum or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 07:02 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Mods should write a script that automatically moves every Miami thread inquiring about walkable neighborhoods to a different state like NY forum or something.
If I wanted NYC walkabikity id move to NYC. If I wanted walkability like I have in Chicago I’d stay in Chicago. I’m not trying to pretend Miami has walkability on that scale. I know it doesn’t. But it has walkable parts. I would say Brickell and Miami Beach are more walkable than my current Chicago neighborhood. I would say they are also more walkable than certain parts of NYC.

I don’t need to have everything within a couple blocks but certain things I can walk to like a grocery store, pharmacy, gym are not impossible to have as walking distance in Miami.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Look at East Little Havana....

1. Everyone walks..drug stores, grocery, cafes restaurants, bars, etc
2. Tons of bars, restaurants, cafes, etc...best jazz bars in Miami....
3. Very friendly and very gay friendly...and very neighborhoodish
4. Nicer places have off street parking
5. You can find a really nice 2 BR for that or less

There's some really nice buildings in that area, and some older not so nice.....pick your building
...and it's dead center of the areas you're looking at
I’ll definitely have to check it out. I haven’t explored that area much but looking on Google maps it’s very close to Brickell which is a huge plus too.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:06 PM

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I’ll definitely have to check it out. I haven’t explored that area much but looking on Google maps it’s very close to Brickell which is a huge plus too.
I work there....I think it's the most fun area of Miami
Bus service runs fast..and in every direction...so you can be all over Miami from there quick

caution though...the food is incredible and lots of it....watch your weight!

Old 02-22-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I work there....I think it's the most fun area of Miami
Bus service runs fast..and in every direction...so you can be all over Miami from there quick

caution though...the food is incredible and lots of it....watch your weight!
It seems like it's pretty central location too. Not too far from Coconut Grove/Coral Gables, and not too far from Wynwood, Midtown. And Obviously very close to Brickell.

But at the moment I am leaning at Miami Beach. I feel like I should experience that first as I actually think I would like it. My only concern with Miami Beach are the people.

Is it true that people are really materialistic and fake in Miami Beach? Or is it more of a mix of everything? I am someone who enjoys the nice things in life, love eating out, buying quality clothes, treating myself, but I don't put too much value in materialistic things and I don't like environments that promote that.

So for example, I don't think I could ever live in a place like Beverly Hills. I am more of the a latino yuppie type that loves the beach and ocean, that likes quality experience and things, but not all about the luxury and flashy lifestyle, if that makes any sense.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:20 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,282 times
The main thing with Miami Beach is south beach is a tourist trap with a largely transient and tourist population. It's like a totally different world just 20 blocks north on 41st street which is a residential largely Jewish orthodox community.

So when you say miami beach you really have to specify where on the beach, it's a totally different vibe street to street and building to building whether the area caters to long time residents or seasonal vacationers.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:42 PM

I agree with logy......south beach proper is all the things you don't like....and five waiters crammed in a two BR apt
....personally, I don't like Sobe at all

..then the rest of the beach heading north....is pretty much any other neighborhood any where....and nothing is that convenient

Old 02-22-2019, 02:05 PM

I am okay with the transient part, because if I do stay in Miami long term, I for sure know Miami Beach would just be for 1-2 years then I would want to move to a less transient place and to the mainland. I was looking at places west of Alton road or Michigan Avenue. I definitely want to stay on the west end of the island. Also been looking at Atlantic Heights which seems to have a lot in regards to walking distance.

Brickell is also starting to look enticing. But for $1700k a month doesn't look like I can get much besides a studio. In Miami Beach While not super plentiful but I do see a good number of one bedroom around that price range. The amenities that the buildings in Brickell have, are enticing though, I must say.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:54 PM

frimptr....ymmv.....but friends that have moved to the beach say they had never been more lonely and isolated.....said it's not friendly at all

Old 02-22-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
frimptr....ymmv.....but friends that have moved to the beach say they had never been more lonely and isolated.....said it's not friendly at all
What neighborhood do you think would be the easiest to make friends and meet people? As a reminder I speak both Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese as well.

I make friends pretty easily wherever I go, and I am gay, so I am sure be it via the apps or what not I will start to meet other gay guys. I am not terribly worried about meeting people. My concern more with South Beach would be the quality/type of people I would meet there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami