Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 07:54 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Imma gonna take them to Chops and Hops, the new axe throwing bar! LOL. Just kidding.

There are different phases in one's life though. At some point, Weston makes perfect sense. At some other point, Fort Lauderdale fits the bill very well.

Downtown fits the bill if your job is downtown and you have no kids. And even then it's not a given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
I agree about the location,I am not a fan of Doral and the landfill is an eyesore.Ideally the houses in Modern Doral would have larger yards but its Miami,its limited space and the developers are trying to make the most they can.I havent seen Modern Dorals models but Lennar has these other Modern houses in Doral that I did get to tour and those are really,really nice.There's another modern development in Viera,fl near Melbourne called Modern Duran that I believe has nothing to do with Modern Doral and those have much bigger yards being in a new area in Central Fl.I like the modern design but for me its more disliking boring box like houses which are plentiful,I probably prefer the unique houses I mentioned in that area of Lake Nona,the designs are more fun with more use of colors so each house is unique.
I just think it's funny because if anywhere in South Florida fits the bill of McMansion Hell... it's Doral. Crazy traffic, horribly city planning, trash dumps, warehouses, construction, and McMansion neighborhoods scattered throughout. You can buy your own 3,500 square foot McMansion with a zero lot line for the low low price of $1.2M in Doral!!!

This post by OP is pure comedy. I guess anyone can pass the real estate agent test, I just feel awful for her clients that don't know better.

Old 04-28-2019, 04:25 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,003,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Actually, I'd live in Coral Ridge and send my kids to Thomas Aquinas.

I'm not the kind of person who could live in Plantation or Weston.
I never did understand living so far west here in S FL when the main attraction is the ocean.

My famly moved to Coral Ridge in the mid Sixties. They enrolled me in Pine Crest School. We also belonged to the Galt Ocean Mile Beach Club and went almost every day.

When my parents passed ten years ago I renovated the entire house (added 1000 sf, pool, turned carport into garage, enlarged kitchen, added huge Master bedroom suite, and hurricane-proofed roof and windows). There really aren't any McMansions, just tasteful, well-kept old and new homes. And yes, my kitchen has over forty cabinets (not including drawers), but the kitchen has always been a centerpiece of our home(NOT a TV room). I am 6'4" so I can reach those upper cabinets.

Best part: I pay 1/3 the RE taxes that new owners pay!

Last edited by Rumann Koch; 04-28-2019 at 05:00 AM..

Old 04-29-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
I never did understand living so far west here in S FL when the main attraction is the ocean.

My famly moved to Coral Ridge in the mid Sixties. They enrolled me in Pine Crest School. We also belonged to the Galt Ocean Mile Beach Club and went almost every day.

When my parents passed ten years ago I renovated the entire house (added 1000 sf, pool, turned carport into garage, enlarged kitchen, added huge Master bedroom suite, and hurricane-proofed roof and windows). There really aren't any McMansions, just tasteful, well-kept old and new homes. And yes, my kitchen has over forty cabinets (not including drawers), but the kitchen has always been a centerpiece of our home(NOT a TV room). I am 6'4" so I can reach those upper cabinets.

Because the ocean is still just a short drive when you live out west. But you get more space, more nature, less traffic, better amenities, etc. when you live out west. We used to live on the beach. The beach is nice but gets old. What doesn't get old is the daily traffic, crime, lack of parking, and all the other nonsense you get living east.

I do appreciate the character of the older neighborhoods like Coral Ridge, though. But you can still find that out west if you want it.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:24 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,201 times
Quote:

Not everyone loves the ocean or since they've lived here all their life its not that big a deal to be right by it.Basically we're not in Nebraska,from anywhere in Florida you're not more than an hour away from a beach.When I lived in the SW area of Miami it would take 45 minutes to get to South Beach or Key Biscayne.From my location in Orlando to Cocoa beach its 60 minutes,not that big a difference.My point is that yes there are people who love the water,have a boat,have the money to live near the beach,for a lot others it doesnt matter,I rather go to a waterpark any day over the beach!!

Old 04-29-2019, 09:08 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Quote:
Not everyone loves the ocean or since they've lived here all their life its not that big a deal to be right by it.Basically we're not in Nebraska,from anywhere in Florida you're not more than an hour away from a beach.When I lived in the SW area of Miami it would take 45 minutes to get to South Beach or Key Biscayne.From my location in Orlando to Cocoa beach its 60 minutes,not that big a difference.My point is that yes there are people who love the water,have a boat,have the money to live near the beach,for a lot others it doesnt matter,I rather go to a waterpark any day over the beach!!
Waterpark? With all that chlorine?

Old 04-29-2019, 09:17 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Waterpark? With all that chlorine?
Or that other stuff that people do at waterparks!

I'm not a public pool fan, never have been. Waterparks tend to bring out the worst patrons, like the fat guy munching on the turkey leg as he wades into the wave pool! Or better yet the mom with a couple kids and saggy diapers

Best "light bulb moment" for me:

About 10 years ago I was at a resort in the Bahamas. The pool had a swim up bar (cool right? ). The restrooms were probably 300-400 ft away, not really convenient. After my 2nd trip back to the pool from the restroom(the beers were flowing, so my bladder was filling) I have a thought.......I'm with a group of 25-30 people and I seemed to be the only one getting out to walk to the bathroom!

Needless to say, I didn't re-enter the pool

Old 04-29-2019, 09:27 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,201 times
Some things you're better off not thinking about,but yeah I'm happier at a waterpark than a beach.The one thing that truly grosses me out at waterparks is people going to the bathroom in bare feet,I bring flip flops,but maybe those people in the pool bar didnt and their thinking is"I'm not going to that bathroom in bare feet",so they just let it go right there,yes its nasty,but a lot of people are nasty,I love waterparks so I dont think about it.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:59 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,003,821 times
Quote:
Not everyone loves the ocean or since they've lived here all their life its not that big a deal to be right by it. Basically we're not in Nebraska,from anywhere in Florida you're not more than an hour away from a beach.When I lived in the SW area of Miami it would take 45 minutes to get to South Beach or Key Biscayne.From my location in Orlando to Cocoa beach its 60 minutes,not that big a difference.My point is that yes there are people who love the water,have a boat,have the money to live near the beach,for a lot others it doesnt matter,I rather go to a waterpark any day over the beach!!
Fine for you, but for me (and other ocean lovers) there's a lot more to do in, on, and under the ocean than at any waterpark!

Old 04-29-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Fine for you, but for me (and other ocean lovers) there's a lot more to do in, on, and under the ocean than at any waterpark!
Why the competition? We enjoy both. We also enjoy the lake as much as we enjoy the ocean. That's what makes Florida so great, can do it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami