Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 06:14 AM

8 posts, read 18,810 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

I've been doing my research on Brickell for some time now and on this particular issue, I don't believe I have found a concrete answer.

I am aware that many wealthy South Americans live in Brickell. Are there any black residents in this neighborhood though? If so, do they receive stares and awkward glances regularly from the locals?

My best friend recently went to Brickell for a quick vacation and to look at different condos. He mentioned to me that he had a Hungarian cab driver who told him that all blacks live in the northern part of Miami She also mentioned to him that if a homeless person is spotted in Brickell, officers come and take them north, across the bridge to downtown.

In addition, I have read 2 online reviews of Argentine restaurants in Sunny Isles in which the reviewer was either mistreated or, in one instance, was supposedly not allowed to enter the restaurant at I only bring these reviews into the discussion because, from my understanding, there a quite a few Argentine residents in Brickell.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 06:32 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
I haven't seen any studies on the Black population in Brickell but as another minority in Brickell--white--I run into Blacks on the street, in my gym, and at Casa de Montecristo Prime Cigar Shop on a daily basis--not many, but not nonexistent either...if you are a Black professional and are hoping to meet similar people, the Cigar shop might be your best bet in Brickell. I am unaware of them feeling awkward--they blend in like almost everyone else. There is a black gentleman having coffee immediately next to me at Toasted Bagel as I type this.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:37 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josemanu85 View Post
Good morning,

I've been doing my research on Brickell for some time now and on this particular issue, I don't believe I have found a concrete answer.

I am aware that many wealthy South Americans live in Brickell. Are there any black residents in this neighborhood though? If so, do they receive stares and awkward glances regularly from the locals?

My best friend recently went to Brickell for a quick vacation and to look at different condos. He mentioned to me that he had a Hungarian cab driver who told him that all blacks live in the northern part of Miami She also mentioned to him that if a homeless person is spotted in Brickell, officers come and take them north, across the bridge to downtown.

In addition, I have read 2 online reviews of Argentine restaurants in Sunny Isles in which the reviewer was either mistreated or, in one instance, was supposedly not allowed to enter the restaurant at I only bring these reviews into the discussion because, from my understanding, there a quite a few Argentine residents in Brickell.

Thanks!
Everyone has a bad experience at a restaurant at some point. Even good restaurants that are known for great service. It just happens sometimes. Black reviewers are VERY well known for claiming "racism" every time they have an experience that is not perfect. I own a restaurant and we get the same thing sometimes, and the server is married to a black guy and we have a ton of black customers.... but supposedly the server and the restaurant are all racist... It's just the way it is with these people, so I wouldn't think much of it.

There is plenty of professional, nice, and hard working black residents in Brickell. They are not a majority, but certainly not treated like they don't belong.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:13 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,355,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
It's just the way it is with these people, so I wouldn't think much of it.
Seriously man? Not gonna touch this one...

Old 08-02-2017, 10:41 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Seriously man? Not gonna touch this one...

Just because I can see this needing clarification... not ALL black people act this way, but there is a certain segment that does and it's just the way they are. They are hyper sensitive and think anytime something doesn't go perfectly, it's due to their skin color. We have ALL sat at a restaurant and gotten upset or annoyed because you don't get greeted by a waitress timely, or it takes a LONG time like they don't know you are there at all... it's happened to everyone. But when it happens to these people, they start assuming it's because nobody wants them there because of their skin color, then they rant and rave on Yelp and Facebook about how the restaurant is racist, which is ridiculous. It's unfortunately not uncommon in the restaurant business.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:17 AM

Thanks guys.

BNBR - I agree with you 100%. I was curious to know if perhaps Miami was an exception.

Anyone else have any thoughts to share?

Old 08-02-2017, 11:41 AM

1,049 posts, read 960,547 times
Brickell isn't some posh, white, country club. There are plenty of professional black folks that live and/or work there. Also its close proximity to neighborhoods with larger black populations lends itself to havinga pretty diverse social and professional atmosphere.

Does Brickell have a lot of Latino residents? Sure, but so does the majority of Dade county. Sunny Isles and Aventura are more likely to have residents with a hint of racism, however, those cities also are in close proximity to areas with large black populations such as NMB and Miami Gardens.So naturally a lot of black people work or go shopping in those cities.

Overall, I don't think there are too many places in Dade where a black person would really feel uncomfortable, to be perfectly honest. Especially not Brickell or Downtown.

As for the way some reviewers were treated at Argentine restaurants; I know Argentines have this reputation for being racist (I'm Argentine btw). But in reality the vast majority aren't racist, they're just arrogant and might come across as racist. People in Argentina aren't that accustomed to being around black people, so there's little reason for them to have racist views toward them. Likely these individuals had a bad experience and were met with an arrogant or condescending attitude and attributed it to being racism.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:48 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
70-75% of Miami population is Hispanic but Brickwell area is mostly Hispanic workers and professionals. There some black, white, asians in area but not huge in population. Some jobs in Miami your required to speak Spanish.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
Brickell isn't some posh, white, country club. There are plenty of professional black folks that live and/or work there. Also its close proximity to neighborhoods with larger black populations lends itself to havinga pretty diverse social and professional atmosphere.

Does Brickell have a lot of Latino residents? Sure, but so does the majority of Dade county. Sunny Isles and Aventura are more likely to have residents with a hint of racism, however, those cities also are in close proximity to areas with large black populations such as NMB and Miami Gardens.So naturally a lot of black people work or go shopping in those cities.

Overall, I don't think there are too many places in Dade where a black person would really feel uncomfortable, to be perfectly honest. Especially not Brickell or Downtown.

As for the way some reviewers were treated at Argentine restaurants; I know Argentines have this reputation for being racist (I'm Argentine btw). But in reality the vast majority aren't racist, they're just arrogant and might come across as racist. People in Argentina aren't that accustomed to being around black people, so there's little reason for them to have racist views toward them. Likely these individuals had a bad experience and were met with an arrogant or condescending attitude and attributed it to being racism.
Very insightful post, thank you.

With Brickell being the affluent neighborhood that it is, is it accurate to conclude the "ghetto", "entitled" mentality/behavior is frowned upon?

Again, thanks to everyone for their informative responses thus far.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:22 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josemanu85 View Post
Very insightful post, thank you.

With Brickell being the affluent neighborhood that it is, is it accurate to conclude the "ghetto", "entitled" mentality/behavior is frowned upon?

Again, thanks to everyone for their informative responses thus far.

Brickwell is Upper Class area in Miami average income household income is $95,000 or more. According demographics only 2-4% of population in Brickwell area is black descent that live in area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami