Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2019, 10:48 AM

481 posts, read 760,166 times

Advertisements

This looks pretty cool but I personally think the approach should be to have buses use the existing infrastructure and create stations at each major point listed on the map that would allow riders to board as well connect with local shuttles/buses, taxis, bikes, rideshares, etc. The station should be setup that the bus does not have to exit the expressway to save time in between stops. Similar to the turnpike rest stops but with a pedestrian bridge 4 riders to join from park/ride hub off the expressway.

Artist Jake Berman Imagines Miami With a Real Train System
Quote:
New York-based artist Jake Berman loves maps. If you visit his website, fiftythree.studio, you’ll find the kind of art an atlas junkie would drool over: colorful public transit maps that range from traditional (Chicago’s L train) to speculative (San Francisco in the year 2050) to pure fantasy (the comic book railways of Black Panther’s Wakanda).“There are two types of cities: you have your car cities — Miami, Houston — where you look for expressways and exit signs. Then you have cities where public transportation is most peoples' way of getting around and that will definitely have an effect on someone’s imagination,” Berman says from his home in Manhattan. “When you look at a map, it influences your reality.”

If any of Berman’s maps should influence our reality, it's his reimagining of Miami’s expressways. Originally appearing on Reddit’s /r/Miami page, Expressways of Greater Miami repurposes South Florida’s expressways as an interconnected train system.For example, the Turnpike line features stops at stations located in Doral or Homestead as opposed to exits on the expressway. The artist in Berman swears that having stations instead of exits is just as much an aesthetic decision as it is a functional one.“There’s nothing romantic about exit numbers, while New Yorkers visualize in what part of town something is based on what station it’s by,” Berman says. “Miami is largely flat, the landmarks are based on what you pass while driving on the expressway.”
https://www.miaminewtimes.com/arts/e...ystem-11180254

Miami Reimagined with a Real Train System-miami-freeways.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 11:21 AM

38 posts, read 33,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSLCarPool View Post
This looks pretty cool but I personally think the approach should be to have buses use the existing infrastructure and create stations at each major point listed on the map that would allow riders to board as well connect with local shuttles/buses, taxis, bikes, rideshares, etc.
Attachment 211458
Looks pretty cool on paper, though I doubt we'll see it become reality.....And to your point about buses most commuters don't take buses as they're not as efficient and quick as rail.

Although, I do see Miami as being a very viable city for Elon Musk's Boring Company. Though we wouldn't see it anytime soon out here as they're still testing out prototypes in sections of Los Angeles.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:22 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Makes no sense not to connect Cutler, Pinecrest, etc, directly with Brickell/downtown.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Makes no sense not to connect Cutler, Pinecrest, etc, directly with Brickell/downtown.
The reason it is not connected on the map is that each "rail" line used an existing expressway. So the Turnpike has an exit for Cutler Bay, Pinecrest is off 826 and Brickell/Downtown is off I95.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay9p1 View Post
Looks pretty cool on paper, though I doubt we'll see it become reality.....And to your point about buses most commuters don't take buses as they're not as efficient and quick as rail.
I can see your point with Buses not being "sexy" enough for most commuters. With the cost and available space needed for trains I just think buses would be more realistic to implement. To get over the culture that is another project.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSLCarPool View Post
The reason it is not connected on the map is that each "rail" line used an existing expressway. So the Turnpike has an exit for Cutler Bay, Pinecrest is off 826 and Brickell/Downtown is off I95.
Got it, I missed this part "repurposes South Florida’s expressways as an interconnected train system".

In this case, the whole thing is stupid, unimaginative, lack of innovation. It takes about zero intellect to draw over an existing path, and call it something else, in this case an expressway being call a rail line.

No wonder it did not make sense, makes even less sense the more I look at it. A rail along these lines would be horribly inefficient.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:09 PM

38 posts, read 33,198 times
Honestly a major improvement transportation wise in Miami would be to intertwine the freeways. I find myself constantly having to take roads, blvd, avenues, etc. instead of freeways to get from point A to point B on the other side of the city. Where I'm from I'm only a hop, skip, and a jump away from an on or exit ramp. The whole freeway system in Miami was very poorly planned, so it just adds to the congestion. For example, I absolutely do not comprehend why the I-95 South stops and turns into Dixie Highway starting in Coconut Grove. The I-95 should at the very least travel down to Homestead. For that reason, I avoid traveling to South Miami because I hate sitting on the congested, traffic-light ridden Dixie Highway. In addition, there should be more freeways connecting East to West.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:50 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay9p1 View Post
The whole freeway system in Miami was very poorly planned, so it just adds to the congestion. For example, I absolutely do not comprehend why the I-95 South stops and turns into Dixie Highway starting in Coconut Grove. The I-95 should at the very least travel down to Homestead.

If you study the history of Miami's development, you'll find that Miami's freeway system isn't poorly planned. It was well planned for decades but then activists stopped the planners from doing their work. Meanwhile, developers were allowed to continue building, especially out west.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:25 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
If you study the history of Miami's development, you'll find that Miami's freeway system isn't poorly planned. It was well planned for decades but then activists stopped the planners from doing their work. Meanwhile, developers were allowed to continue building, especially out west.
I tend to agree on this one too..Orlando was not setup for what happened with the sprawl. Miami (for the most part) was but grew at leaps and bounds.

Orlando has completed in the last 5 years the 429 & 417 connections to help go around downtown. So if you live in Clermont, Winter Garden, Disney area, etc. you can avoid a lot of the bad areas. Where as Miami is mostly concerned with 'paid faster lanes' on 95, 75, 826..The new ramps for the 826 from 836 are great though so I commend them for building these. We just desperately need mass transit and that's what everyone is fighting about.
There was supposed to be a rail connection to Marlins park and had they done that, I think attendance wouldn't have been so poor over the years (no one wants to park on someone's lawn or pay $30 for a garage)

Old 06-03-2019, 09:39 AM

399 posts, read 728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
I tend to agree on this one too..Orlando was not setup for what happened with the sprawl. Miami (for the most part) was but grew at leaps and bounds.

Orlando has completed in the last 5 years the 429 & 417 connections to help go around downtown. So if you live in Clermont, Winter Garden, Disney area, etc. you can avoid a lot of the bad areas. Where as Miami is mostly concerned with 'paid faster lanes' on 95, 75, 826..The new ramps for the 826 from 836 are great though so I commend them for building these. We just desperately need mass transit and that's what everyone is fighting about.
There was supposed to be a rail connection to Marlins park and had they done that, I think attendance wouldn't have been so poor over the years (no one wants to park on someone's lawn or pay $30 for a garage)

Hasn't helped that the Marlins are one of the worst teams in baseball, and when they get good players, end up trading them away (Stanton, Yellich, etc.) Of course, the Jose Fernandez tragedy was out of their control, but just seems the franchise is snakebit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami