Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 02:01 PM

772 posts, read 1,142,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Have you not seen what has happened in the Bahamas?

Clearly this is your first hurricane. From your comments I suggest maybe you move inland.

When has there ever been devastation downtown from a hurricane? My guess is that the buildings downtown are some of the most hurricane-proof buildings.

When Andrew rolled in back whenever, I think it did the most damage in the low-lying areas in the southern half of the county. My guess is that mobile homes bore the brunt of its wrath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 04:37 PM

707 posts, read 1,408,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
When has there ever been devastation downtown from a hurricane? My guess is that the buildings downtown are some of the most hurricane-proof buildings.

When Andrew rolled in back whenever, I think it did the most damage in the low-lying areas in the southern half of the county. My guess is that mobile homes bore the brunt of its wrath.
Andrew hit south of Miami directly, the downtown area didn't see much damage because it didn't get a direct
hit. Cutler Bay, South Miami and parts of Kendall bore the brunt of the storms wrath. There was nothing left
of my house but the four walls and parts of my roof, I lived in Cutler Bay known as Cutler Ridge at the time.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:13 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:

No, freestanding homes in Homestead were decimated. Cutler Bay was a war zone.

Dorian with 185mph winds for thirty six hours would flatten downtown Miami. Irma flooded Brickell with waist deep water during Irma.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:19 PM

60 posts, read 241,426 times
Quote:
The only issue with this is electricity. The power tends to go out during hurricanes. If these are small hotels like Red Roof Inn, I question whether they have generators. Even if they do, they still probably make patrons evacuate when the county issues an official evacuation order. It's probably a liability issue.
After Andrew many hotels have generator power in Florida. Also, all Publix & most gas stations

Old 09-03-2019, 06:26 PM

60 posts, read 241,426 times
Quote:
When has there ever been devastation downtown from a hurricane? My guess is that the buildings downtown are some of the most hurricane-proof buildings

After living in Florida for 25 years, I can tell you that you are wrong!

Ground zero for Andrew was Homestead & Florida City. They were decimated. The eye went through Cutler Ridge, Palmetto Bay & Pinecrest and the homes there suffered massive damage. Even areas that were west of US 1, like The Redlands, Kendall & Country Walk had massive damage. My home in Palmetto Bay lost it's roof & had lots of water damage. My home was on the Cutler Ridge, so it was above sea level & the surge was half way up my front lawn.

Last edited by bgmiami; 09-03-2019 at 06:54 PM..

Old 09-04-2019, 07:42 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
In the OP's defense, the news/weather media blew this forecast way out of proportion for South Florida. A lot of people wasted time, money and effort preparing....
How did they blow it "way out of proportion? Have you seen the pictures from the devastation in the Bahamas? At this time last week, this killer storm was forecast to hit South Florida by multiple computer models. Exactly what would you have had the media do or say differently?

Hey everyone, a category 5 storm may or may not hit Miami in a few days. However, since we're not sure, just sit tight for a few days and wait until we're absolutely positive whether it will hit us, and then if so, just rush out a few hours before the storm is projected to hit us and then start getting ready for it.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:54 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
How did they blow it "way out of proportion? Have you seen the pictures from the devastation in the Bahamas?
You have to live here and have gone through a dozen of these to understand. This one was very over hyped here, it's sad because people will not take the next big one seriously.

Yes I've seen the devastation in the Bahamas, they will not rebuild for many years, if ever. I'm very sad for them. I lived in Brevard County and had damage from one of the 2005 hurricanes and that took a year to fix. The people in the Bahamas are going to have it so so much worse.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:12 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
You have to live here and have gone through a dozen of these to understand. This one was very over hyped here, it's sad because people will not take the next big one seriously.(
LOL. I'll wager that I've gone through many more hurricanes than you have. I was born and raised here and the first of many hurricanes I remember going through was Donna in 1960. So don't try to lecture me on what it's like living here and going through hurricanes.

And you still haven't said exactly how this hurricane was overhyped, or what you think the media should have said in lieu of what they did report.

That's most likely because you can't come up with anything other than repeating that it was overhyped simply because it changed course and missed us.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:29 PM

My guess is that the devastated areas in the Bahamas received a direct hit. What do the other areas look like? I see a lot of natives down there looking for survivors, providing aid, and assessing the damage. Where did they stay when the storm hit? Also, just going off the images I've seen in the news, it appears that the cheaply constructed, freestanding homes bore the brunt of Dorian's wrath.

So if Dorian rips through downtown Miami it's going to tear apart skyscrapers and highrise condo buildings? I could see causing some flooding, breaking windows, and downing power lines, but presumably these are some of the most hurricane-proof structures in all of Florida.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:54 PM

I understand the philosophy of "better safe than sorry." However, the media relies on, oddly enough, unreliable models when prognosticating hurricanes. If the Euro and GFS models are the only reliable ones, then they should use just those. Don't throw all these speculative spaghetti plots on the screen to freak people out absent more reliable data. Also, the depiction of Dorian on the meteorological maps was too large. The eyewall subsumes the most powerful, and hence destructive, winds. While the spiral rainbands might technically be a part of the cyclone, they don't do the drastic damage. Similarly, the cone of concern, which encompassed all but the Western Panhandle, was way too large. There's no way they could have reliably concluded that Dorian posed that that widespread a threat.

I'm not going to go full Rush Limbaugh on you and maintain that the government and media overhyped Dorian to pad their pockets but, whatever the reason, it was exceedingly irresponsible and, like SanyBelle said, may give people a false sense of security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami