Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 07:18 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
What about Fort Lauderdale? ..or Palm Beach County for that matter?
It would be just as bad really. Except you can't blame the Hispanics for your problems once you get up to Palm Beach. There you can blame all of the rich ex-New Yorkers who are oppressing you and don't speak English, but Brooklynese. In Ft. Lauderdale it's not really appropriate to (most of the Haitians that actually (in reality) fill the cheap labor jobs speak English) but people seem to try and squeeze it in and blame the Hispanics for any problem that they have anyway, because (in many cases, not all, some are just silly and seem to have no reasoning at all) they don't know how to get up and do something for themselves unless it involves the words "North Carolina".

Really though, your not in a good situation to move down here. If you have business skills, a degree in something or know a trade that it's in demand down here, I would say go for it, but this is a very difficult start-up city. There are better places to start up. Palm Beach would be good if you were older and Ft. Lauderdale could be fun if you were coming for a job transfer and so could Miami, but you just aren't in the right spot to do well here. You might even end up turning into one of the miserable posters here on the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 08:20 AM

4 posts, read 10,154 times
Default Don't move to Miami

I am a Miami Native and I don't suggest you move here now. I am actually going to relocate to Atlanta with a friend.

Miami has become very expensive and the job market is horrible... The cost of living is unbearable!!

Do more research before you move!!

Quote:
What about Fort Lauderdale? ..or Palm Beach County for that matter?

Old 04-18-2008, 10:39 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
I know the South Florida real estate market bubble has burst. Its been that way for at least a year now and I've heard prices are slowly declining. Despite this, prices are still unbearably high. However, I'm not exactly looking for real estate, just a roomate.
I actually had a friend move to Miami Beach just below Surfside last year and he ended up getting a roomate and paying $300 a month including utilities. Not saying that would ever happen to anyone in the Miami area again, just saying it happened. LOL
Anyway, he made it down there (and with just one job as a valet) so if I did some major digging for something similar to that, why couldn't I?
I do know the area pretty much like any local. I know the Palmetto is a no-no. The Falls, Dadeland & Sunset Place are all on the "useless 1". The Design District supposedly has been up and coming for the last 10 years. Downtown is a ghost town, but they are constructing skyscrapers like theres no tomorrow. ..and of course, I love to brag to everyone up here about how often I frequent Miami. Although its an 8 hour trip, I had been to the area no less than 10 times just in '07.
People complain about the terrible drivers in South Florida, but I actually get along better in traffic down there (call me a crazy, terrible driver, but I just can't handle the slow idiots up here)

Oh, and one last funny detail... southern accents aren't my thing.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:57 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
...I do know the area pretty much like any local...
It sounds like you've already convinced yourself, so go for it. I'm not completely sure why you came on here asking for real world advice from people who actually have experience living in a place if you've already got it figured out. People seemed to be just trying to give you honest opinions based on the question you asked, and I guess you are not liking their straightforward answers.

Since you said you enjoy the traffic in Miami so much, I assume you've already priced out your auto insurance there as well (let us not forget the little things).

If you enjoy bragging to others about visiting Miami, you might as well live there for the real deal experience. You definitely won't have to worry about hearing southern accents.

Best of luck!

Old 04-18-2008, 11:12 AM

60 posts, read 96,055 times
I wouldn't do it either. After living there for 30 years I can tell you it's a hostile environment-economically, socially and weather-wise. Jobs underpay, cost of living is horrendous, traffic is abominable, some people are nice but the majority are rude and uneducated. Don't get swayed by the "beach scene" or promises of riches. There are other places in FL that are much nicer and affordable to live. And remember, hurricane season is right around the corner!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:36 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Its not that I don't appreciate your straight forward answers. Quite the contrary, I do appreciate them. I wouldn't have posted on here if I didn't care to hear them. They are all great posts with the best advice you could personally give I'm sure.

However, you might be right about me already being convinced to move to South Florida. I fully realize that the Miami area does underpay and most of the jobs end up going to the lowest bidder, so to speak. I also know about the traffic as I stated in my last response. That can be hell, I know. (There was one time I drove from Savannah to Miami and ended up getting stuck in the friday afternoon commute. The usual 8 hour trip took me more like 12 to get to the South Miami-Coral Gables area) This is a price to pay for living in the most populous county in the state though.
Miamiblue made a great point about the auto insurance rates for Miami-Dade. I've heard they are one of the highest in the nation. I know Broward County can't be that much better, so I assumed I would be keeping my Georgia insurance, tag, etc. Thats my loophole around that.
Anyway, I guess I'm too convinced that if I continue to do my homework and look for a decent rent in a decent area of town (the hard part), I'll be okay.
As they say, if you want something bad enough, you'll eventually get it... or something like that.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:43 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
It would be just as bad really. Except you can't blame the Hispanics for your problems once you get up to Palm Beach. There you can blame all of the rich ex-New Yorkers who are oppressing you and don't speak English, but Brooklynese.
I live in Palm Beach County and I don't fall under any of those categories... In fact the middle class is more affordable in Palm Beach County than in Miami-Dade or even Broward, though they need to bridge that middle income gap a little more.

Many people have told me that I have a NY-style accent though... WTF? For some bizarre reason most people think I lived in New York.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:12 AM

190 posts, read 764,293 times
You will need to be bilingual for either of those jobs because of the vast nationalities that come to area from all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami