Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 03:04 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times

Advertisements

oh yes, I thought so Scanner. But it does seem like Tanner is saying that Miami in comparison to Tampa is much better transit-wise. I've heard conflicting opinions on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 03:05 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Great Post you pretty much summed up what I wanted to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post
dont get me wrong, wanttomove, expanding your horizons is fantastic. im with ya, if you're in rut, its time to strutt. but honestly, miami is like a third world country. the housing is approaching L.A. prices, but wages are less than that of denver. even the nicest areas are dangerous. i've spent some time in miami for different reasons and it's gotten worse and worse. the gap between the haves and the have-not's is staggering. there are large portions of the city where you must speak spanish or your out of luck.

im not saying this is your reason, but a lot of people move there because of what they see on nip/tuck and csi. trust me, more than any other place, its much different in reality. its the definition of urban plight.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
haha, your first sentence rhymes. Maybe you wanted that. Funny anyway.

Um, I love third world countries. Myself, I've visited at least 5 of 'em. But I get your gist. The people over on the Miami thread are pretty angry and I guess they can't afford to get out. If I hate it, I'll just move.

I trust you. But hey, too each his own. And if I spend the rest of my entire life living in this state, I'll be severely disappointed in myself. Good luck to you here in Denver, I think you'll like it for quite some time. It is booming too.
I was born, raised, went to college, married, etc all in Florida. I want to experience living in another state too. So I can't blame you for wanting to live in a different place. Maybe just not South Florida????

The people on the Miami thread yes may seem to be angry, but they are telling the truth and for the most part not exaggerating, it is that bad. I hate to say that about my home town. But it is the truth. I have know many people from different financial backgrounds (million dollar homes to 200k condos), that lived in different parts of Miami-Dade County , but all came to the same conclusion that the quality of life in Miami-Dade has deteriated.

BTW, It may be easy for some to pick up and move, but for many others it just isn't that easy. There can be many reasons why someone can't just pick up and move, you shouldn't assume that all the angry people on here can't afford to move. For example, I can afford to move, but as I have explained on other threads there are things that hold me here. And so I am still here.

As far as crime, sadly it is happening more and more in areas that didn't have an issues with crime like we do today. So it is happening in most areas to some extent, home, car, boat, mugging, etc.

If you haven't already, I would look at other places and visit South Florida a few times before you decide. But in the end if you find the negative things said on this thread to be true, you can move, as moving seems to be very easy for you. Best of luck.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:29 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Doggiebus, I really can't believe you think there where areas in Miami where crime was less of an issue today than there were in the 80s and 90s, and that you think there is a city where nothing happens to homes and cars.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Doggiebus, I really can't believe you think there where areas in Miami where crime was less of an issue today than there were in the 80s and 90s, and that you think there is a city where nothing happens to homes and cars.
Yes I said it and stand by it, its the truth.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Yes I said it and stand by it, its the truth.
Care to prove it? I can prove that it's not, and you know that I'm always up for a challenge .

Really though if you want to find a wholly crime free place I think you are going to be disappointed unless you move to parts of Europe or Asia...Japan has literally almost no crime.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:41 PM

compelled: Good points about crime.

doggie: You and I pretty much always see eye to eye. I totally agree and know about people who don't always have an easy option of getting up and moving. (Hurricane Katrina?). So it's not that I'm saying the angry people on the forum should just up and move. Although I do think many are angry.

I also firmly belief that truth is in the eyes of the beholder and very much suggestive. And I don't say that to discount the people on the Miami forum either. Heck, I don't live there. They do.

Moving isn't easy for me, but doable.

Crime? Well, I hope you don't think I am that scared, but I wanted to make a point to Scanner that I am in no way delusional and am moving to a major city thinking it's all safe and nicey nice.

We are not deadset on Miami. I use that term loosely. We do however, want that side of the peninsula versus the other side. We will not just jump over there, but will take many trips. That's one reason you see me on the Miami forum constantly asking about zip codes, work and the like. You've given me some awesome ideas re: where to live.

Thanks again all!

Old 04-22-2008, 03:42 PM

you two dorks!!! are you going to start listing other areas of the country that have crime?? haha, and next thing you know you'll be trying to compare the level of violent crimes and how one crime is not as bad as the other. Let's be friends. : )

Old 04-22-2008, 03:44 PM

One other thing: On the flip side, do you guys come out to Denver ever? We have crime, but it's so low scale compared to Miami. And it's funny to think of how each area of the country has their own complaints about immigrants. For you it's the "Hispanics" or "Cubans". For us, it's those Mexicans! BTW that was meant to be sarcastic sort of. You know what I mean, right? Check out my post in the off-topic Colorado area about our stupid state rep. who said to the House: "we don't need another 5,000 illiterate peasants coming here". [i.e. mexicans]

Old 04-22-2008, 03:45 PM

We are friends but she knows that I get feisty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami