Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 02:48 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

Miami is one of the cities I've thought about moving to in the next few years. And despite all of the problems I have read about I still might give it a shot b/c I think I can deal with most of them and already deal with some where I live such as traffic and high housing costs. But I am worried about how I will be treated given the fact that I am hispanic (1/2 mexican but look full 100% hispanic) but I DO NOT speak spanish or know it at all. Occasionally a mexican here will speak spanish to me but when they realize I don't they can at least communicate most times. Sometimes I might get a "look" from them as if I should know spanish but generally it's not really a problem or issue here. I just don't want to be treated like crap by people just b/c I don't speak spanish and am hispanic.

So can you give me your honest answer. Would a hispanic person who doesn't know spanish have a difficult time in Miami? I'm not against learning it but it would be a while before I am fluent probably.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:00 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,215 times
I speak a little Spanish, but am not fluent, and don't have many problems here. Of course, there are times it would DEFINITELY come in handy. It isn't uncommon to find workers in grocery/convenience stores (and similar places) who don't speak English. You can get by, but it would be helpful to know sometimes. There are areas of Miami (like around Calle Ocho or Little Havana) where hardly anyone speaks English, but you probably wouldn't have reason to spend much time in either place.

I can't comment on how you'd be treated for being Hispanic and not knowing Spanish since I'm White (no one expects me to know Spanish anyway). I do have a few White friends who are dark complected (could easily pass for Hispanic) and they often have people start speaking to them in Spanish first. They tend to get annoyed, but deal with it. I'm sure this will happen to you frequently, but it isn't really that big of a deal. People will switch over to English once they figure it out.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:20 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
It depends on which section of Miami you're moving to. You'd be crazy to move to an area like Hialeah or Sweetwater in Miami-Dade without knowing Spanish firsthand;, in other more affluent areas, however, most people are bilingual.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:24 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
It depends on which section of Miami you're moving to. You'd be crazy to move to an area like Hialeah or Sweetwater in Miami-Dade without knowing Spanish firsthand;, in other more affluent areas, however, most people are bilingual.
I was thinking Miami Beach maybe around South Beach. I don't know much about Miami so I'm just kind of sticking to the popular well known areas. I just want to live in an active neighborhood where things are close by and it's not too quiet or suburban. If anyone can recommend some areas that'd be nice too. Not looking to live in the ghetto or where everyone is am immigrant.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:32 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not looking to live in the ghetto or where everyone is am immigrant.
Maybe you should think twice about moving to Miami then Just kidding.

I lived on South Beach when I first moved here and really liked it there. I'm not sure how old you are, whether or not you have children, etc., but the vast majority of people there are probably under 30 or so, single, and love to party. I fit into those categories, so it was great Nightlife is world-famous, shopping on Lincoln Road is unbeatable, and some of the best restaurants in Miami are on South Beach. I only moved because the commute to my job was too long.

Coconut Grove is another really great place for a young person, as is Coral Gables. Both are really nice, vibrant, and have lots to do. Now that I know the areas, I'd only consider these 3 neighborhoods. Most everyone speaks English, too.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:09 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
If you want an area with a lot of young people like Brickell, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, or Miami Beach, not knowing Spanish is not a problem because most people in these areas speak English. I think what will be more of a shock to you is that there are close to zero Mexicans in these areas and some of the people that do not speak English are blonde haired, blue/green eyed Argentinians, Cubans, and Venezuelans.. However, among young people (regardless of Hispanic origin or not) the overwhelming majority speak English.

A few people might scoff at you because you identify as Hispanic (Hispanic culture in Miami is much more elitist and much less laid back than Hispanic culture in the West and Southwest) but don't speak Spanish, but it won't be a big deal. Most people are perfectly happy to speak to you in English.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:12 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times
Yes you do need spanish if you want to work

Old 04-23-2008, 06:07 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
I am Cuban but don't look hispanic. A lot of people will ask me first "do you speak Spanish" (usually in Spanish ). My boyfriend is very fair skinned, blue eyes, blond and he's also Cuban.

Depending on what you want to do here, I think you can get by plenty fine without having to speak Spanish. Even for work, unless maybe you would be a grocery store clerk in Little Havana.

Another area that wasn't mentioned is Dadeland. No language problem there. But my favorites are Miami Beach, Bal Harbor, West Avenue, North Bay Village, Brickell and Coconut Grove.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:17 PM

159 posts, read 803,704 times
It's more common amongst the older generations of Hispanics. I'm Hispanic, too and I guess I look fairly "Hispanic" and a lot of times the first language I'm spoken to is in Spanish. People exaggerate and at the end of the day it's still the United States and the business language is English.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 12,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Miami is one of the cities I've thought about moving to in the next few years. And despite all of the problems I have read about I still might give it a shot b/c I think I can deal with most of them and already deal with some where I live such as traffic and high housing costs. But I am worried about how I will be treated given the fact that I am hispanic (1/2 mexican but look full 100% hispanic) but I DO NOT speak spanish or know it at all. Occasionally a mexican here will speak spanish to me but when they realize I don't they can at least communicate most times. Sometimes I might get a "look" from them as if I should know spanish but generally it's not really a problem or issue here. I just don't want to be treated like crap by people just b/c I don't speak spanish and am hispanic.

So can you give me your honest answer. Would a hispanic person who doesn't know spanish have a difficult time in Miami? I'm not against learning it but it would be a while before I am fluent probably.
You have a unique situation indeed! I don't think you'll have any more problems than Caucasians who don't speak Spanish. (That doesn't say much) You will hear a lot of badadada in your ears as people will expect you to respond in Spanish! A friend of mine looks very Spanish, "Apocalypto" style ... He used to speak Spanish but has forgotten most of it, and what little he does know is spoken in a yankee-accent. Bottom line, you obviously have internet access, so you are not poor. Naw, don't worry about it man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami