Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 08:16 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times

Advertisements

1. Brickell Avenue weekday traffic now resembles much lighter weekend traffic during normal times. In fact, can get around to most places a lot quicker these days with more people working from home.
2. 15 minutes from Brickell to Joe’s yesterday with few cars on the causeway at 7PM.
3. Lot more people on the Bayfront walkpaths in Brickell and Brickell Key during the day (presumably laid off restaurant workers and others)
4. Condo buildings about to restrict entry to residents only.
5. Find myself able to sleep later, not “rushing” to wake up earlier so I could snag a table at Starbucks.

What about changes in your neighborhoods??....sure hope this lasts only 30-60 days—not 120-180.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-20-2020 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 08:37 AM

18,448 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Monroe County ordered all hotels in the Florida Keys closed indefinitely beginning at 6 p.m. Sunday.
The order, a strategy to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19, also extends to vacation rental units where guests stay less than 28 days, and short-term rentals in RV parks.
All bars and nightclubs that sell mostly alcohol have been closed since Tuesday by executive order from Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.
Key West closed its beaches off.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/loc...241349851.html

Old 03-20-2020, 08:55 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
1. Brickell Avenue weekday traffic now resembles much lighter weekend traffic during normal times. In fact, can get around to most places a lot quicker these days with more people working from home.
2. 15 minutes from Brickell to Joe’s yesterday with few cars on the causeway at 7PM.
3. Lot more people on the Bayfront walkpaths in Brickell and Brickell Key during the day (presumably laid off restaurant workers and others)
4. Condo buildings about to restrict entry to residents only.
5. Find myself able to sleep later, not “rushing” to wake up earlier so I could snag a table at Starbucks.

What about changes in your neighborhoods??....sure hope this lasts only 30-60 days—not 120-180.
To your points above,

1 - where are you (and everyone else) going? Businesses are shut unless essential. We need to be inside for the next 2 weeks at least
2 - Joe's? Really? I hope for take-away
3 - good to see people still getting exercise in
4 - Totally agree - we shouldn't be having 'visitors' constantly coming in and out. Realtors shouldn't be showing condos for 2 weeks.
5 - Again, really? A table at starbucks? I was told all starbucks removed their tables. Unless the one at The Bond hasn't because its the only franchise starbucks in the state.

People - we need to take this seriously. the longer we keep going out , doing useless errands, hanging out with people, the longer this will take. I can't for life the of me understand why the president hasn't shut this whole country down. Trump and Boris are not taking this serious enough apparently, which is why the UK and US have the curve going in the wrong direction. South Korea is the model we should all follow and life has already begun returning to normal. Do we want to be Italy? How about Spain who just reported 1000 deaths & climbing. Do we want police/national guard on the street?

At this rate, with all the morons on the beach partying still (even Charlotte county is keeping spring break going!) we're going to be well into late April with businesses still shuttered.

I digress, feel free to blast me but I don't care. I'm over all the people 'going places' because they can't watch netflix & work from home for 2 weeks.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:21 AM

Let me be more specific.

1. Yes, Joe’s Takeaway—still open, lunch and dinner hours. Take out only, 10 in the restaurant ordering area/pick up area at a time maximum.
2. I can sleep later now because there is no need to rush to get to a Starbucks for a table since they have removed tables.
3. I will still go to restaurants in other areas for take out for variety. I also go out for exercise/walks (as do plenty of others) and keeping my distance yet not at The Game of Thrones Night King and White Walkers stay inside 24/7 level.

Hotels have suspended use of their pool areas as well (besides local condos).

If there is a lockdown, my condo building will have all doors locked with no exit or entry allowed—sure hope it does not get to that level.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-20-2020 at 09:47 AM..

Old 03-22-2020, 12:27 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
I'm here off Las Olas, pool is closed, residents only always (we don't allow short term transient rentals, yearly), all restaurants closed except for a few doing takeout.

Riverside Hotel is still open because they house flight crews from numerous airlines so deemed essential. My husband trains at the gym there and because they have less than 50 members, can stay open. Pool is open.

Got an email from an employee at Marriott Harbor Beach and I believe they are shutting down.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:38 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,603 times
Quote:
Let me be more specific.

1. Yes, Joe’s Takeaway—still open, lunch and dinner hours. Take out only, 10 in the restaurant ordering area/pick up area at a time maximum.
2. I can sleep later now because there is no need to rush to get to a Starbucks for a table since they have removed tables.
3. I will still go to restaurants in other areas for take out for variety. I also go out for exercise/walks (as do plenty of others) and keeping my distance yet not at The Game of Thrones Night King and White Walkers stay inside 24/7 level.

Sorry, wasn't trying to criticize you..going stir crazy in the house

Old 03-22-2020, 01:56 PM

no worries....they have since closed the park portion of Brickell Key, though most of the walk path is still open and available.

looks like they cut down on boats at Haulover, but there were quite a few morons on party boats out on Brickell Bay yesterday thumbing their nose at social distancing.

One good came out of all of this--found an excellent food truck behind the old church and BofA building in Brickell....Cousins Maine Lobster (featured on "Shark Tank") appears to be operating every day until 8PM and arguably serves the best lobster roll I have ever had.

I have been pleased with the response from Mayor Carlos Gimenez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post

Sorry, wasn't trying to criticize you..going stir crazy in the house

Old 03-22-2020, 02:19 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
no worries....they have since closed the park portion of Brickell Key, though most of the walk path is still open and available.

looks like they cut down on boats at Haulover, but there were quite a few morons on party boats out on Brickell Bay yesterday thumbing their nose at social distancing.

One good came out of all of this--found an excellent food truck behind the old church and BofA building in Brickell....Cousins Maine Lobster (featured on "Shark Tank") appears to be operating every day until 8PM and arguably serves the best lobster roll I have ever had.

I have been pleased with the response from Mayor Carlos Gimenez.

Is the Surf & Turf Catering truck still there behind the church?

Old 03-22-2020, 03:51 PM

Don’t see it...there is a Rico Fish, Caesars Açaí, and Mr Burger Latin Kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Is the Surf & Turf Catering truck still there behind the church?

Old 03-22-2020, 08:06 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Don’t see it...there is a Rico Fish, Caesars Açaí, and Mr Burger Latin Kitchen.
Yeah, Yelp says they closed. It was one great seafood place in that parking lot. Way before the other ones came.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami