Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:37 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
What about the uniform thing? Anyone know the answer to why PUBLIC school students in the supposed suburbs of Miami have to wear uniforms just like the inner city kids and the private school kids?

Gang deterrence ?
No, just a response to a lack of control in the education system. Since many parents have no desire to limit their kids actions, and big Government banned the paddle and refuses to expel troublemakers the uniforms are a desperate attempt to bring order to the masses of kids. The high fences, security guards and no trespassing signs give the schools a nice institutional prison feel. In Miami many children are of Latin-American culture where they are allowed to behave any way they please in public places. School is mostly to transmit culture and order, but not a place to really explore and learn. If everyone has to wear the same clothes, they cannot flaunt their styles or judge the status of other students can they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 03:38 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,270 times
Quote:
You are not the answer I was looking for. Does anyone work for the school district (largest employer in Dade county) who can help answer this question?
I just told you school administrators are strating to believe that uniforms creat a better more organized learning enviorment, all over the country!

Quote:
Maybe in cities with a lot of graffitti and excessive immigration ie LA, San Diego, Miami. It certainly wasn't the case in any of the schools I went to, or any of the surrounding school districts. Not only that, it would never even be considered. My question was why the 'suburb' schools in Kendall, Westchester, and North Miami specifically have to have uniform policies for their elementary and secondary education?
I also just told you about my brother that lives in extreme suburbia, with cheap homes on huge lots, no inner city, these are miles and miles away from any major city, little crime, great schools, and his kids school district was begining to implement uniforms everywhere. I'll add another one Ive seen in person, Salt Lake City, which yeah has its fare share of crime and graffiti but many school good and bad already had uniforms it wasnt a mandated policy, independently schools just decided to do it. School systems EVERYWHERE are slowly implementing this, even here in Miami not all schools have them yet.

Quote:
Talk about the outside world ...you live in Hialeah!!! LOL Maybe you should visit the outside world!
Ive only lived in Hialeah for a little over a year. I travel intensely regularly, and I have lived in a handful of cities that Ive repeatedly mentioned before. I was born, grew up and lived in a handful amount of places. Ive been and continue to know the outside world.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:41 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
No, just a response to a lack of control in the education system. Since many parents have no desire to limit their kids actions, and big Government banned the paddle and refuses to expel troublemakers the uniforms are a desperate attempt to bring order to the masses of kids. The high fences, security guards and no trespassing signs give the schools a nice institutional prison feel. In Miami many children are of Latin-American culture where they are allowed to behave any way they please in public places. School is mostly to transmit culture and order, but not a place to really explore and learn. If everyone has to wear the same clothes, they cannot flaunt their styles or judge the status of other students can they?
Your right about the reason for the uniform, but the assumption about the Latin American culture is stupid and wrong. Thought you would know better living in South Florida.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:52 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,763,666 times
Tannerman you are always the exception to everything reguarding Miami. I think tallrick hit it the nail on the head. Many cultures that came here brought with them a lack of civilization and order, and because of this, they have to impose extra restrictions to 'keep them in line'. That explains the 8' chain link fence.

I also think that the widespread dominance of urban-ghetto-gangster culture (it's all the same) in South Florida, but especially Miami, made it popular to enforce not only dress codes but uniforms as the problem is that bad among Miami youth. They had to stop the chicos from 'acting pimp' and stop the chicas from flaunting their stuff. That's what I think is the most glaring, obvious reason for why they impose uniforms in "SUBURBAN" schools; they're no different than urban ones in Miami...

Old 09-07-2008, 04:18 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Quote:
Tannerman you are always the exception to everything reguarding Miami. I think tallrick hit it the nail on the head. Many cultures that came here brought with them a lack of civilization and order, and because of this, they have to impose extra restrictions to 'keep them in line'. That explains the 8' chain link fence.

I also think that the widespread dominance of urban-ghetto-gangster culture (it's all the same) in South Florida, but especially Miami, made it popular to enforce not only dress codes but uniforms as the problem is that bad among Miami youth. They had to stop the chicos from 'acting pimp' and stop the chicas from flaunting their stuff. That's what I think is the most glaring, obvious reason for why they impose uniforms in "SUBURBAN" schools; they're no different than urban ones in Miami...
Uh, no. Tell me going to school in Liberty City is the same as in Doral.

Uniforms don't enforce anything. The most gang ridden school in Palm Beach County (Lake Worth) has uniforms and that didn't stop kids from being afraid to go to school due to rival gangs being there. Also, schools without uniforms here have higher scores than schools with them.

To me it's a form of control. Schools already control what students are thinking, why not control the way they dress as well? They want to send us as far back to Nazi Germany as possible. The constitution doesn't really mean much in 2008.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:21 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,763,666 times
Well Liberty City is an extreme example. Much of the city of Miami resembles Miami-Dade as far as the people, structures, culture, etc. There is no stark contrast between city and suburbs like in most other major cities. Now someone is going to say "Homestead" isn't like the rest of Miami-Dade. I can't wait.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:39 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Even though Miami has many problems I still think it is the only "real" city in Florida and will continue to be the backbone of this state. The other major cities in Florida (Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville) are just overgrown towns.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Another phenomena "only in Miami" or "OIM," as I call it, are the full time police officers that stand near the checkout aisles in Publix and Winn Dixie. I have never seen this except for in Miami. Is it that there are so many thieves in Miami? Even in the far outlying suburbs, they still have Wakenhunt guards roaming the grocery stores. The two Brickell area Publixes both have a full time City of Miami cop standing in front.
While it's sad, I have seen this in Atlanta, Dallas, Minneapolis, actually the only place I haven't really seen it is in rural areas. I don't see it too much in the NE either...

Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 PM

710 posts, read 2,232,884 times
You guys are so full of it you can't even see... my kids elementary school in lilly white North County San Diego had an 8' fence around the perimeter as did ALL my public schools in Broward 20 years ago. The only way in or out during school hours is through the office. It's just as much to keep creeps out as it is to keep the kids in and something as a parent I'd insist on if they didn't have it.

The uniform thing is also catching on across the country. It has NOTHING to do with a Latin thing or a Miami thing or a gansta ghetto whatever you dreamed up today thing.
The thinking is that if the kids all dress alike, that's one less thing for them to worry about during the day. I don't know if it's true, but it can't hurt imo.

Oh, and there was always a private security guy at our local Von's in San Diego -- in a VERY good neighborhood. Not very "OIM" if it happens everywhere, is it?

Last edited by planetsurf; 09-07-2008 at 09:25 PM..

Old 09-07-2008, 08:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:

Maybe in cities with a lot of graffitti and excessive immigration ie LA, San Diego, Miami.
Pioneer Middle School in Cooper City, 1% of the school is ESL and it has uniforms. It's becoming popular in public schools all over the country, actually most commonly in high income yuppie-ish areas although they do have it in some lower income schools as well. I do think you need to leave Miami more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami