Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 02:45 PM

38 posts, read 222,589 times

Advertisements

So me and my wife are thinking of moving out of LA with our three children (one high, middle, and elementary). We have visited Miami Beach and loved it there, so we are thinking of moving there. We like MB because it's vibrant, compact, urban, and with plenty of entertainment options, including the beach being walking distance away.

Now, is MB mostly young couples or families without children making it a bad choice? I mean we love it and the crowds, but how are the schools and are there enough children walking around that it is safe for them (not the youngest) to go with a group of friends to the beach or the store or movie theater or restaurant?

If MB is a bad choice, what suburbs can you suggest? We are Jewish and I was looking at a map of which American counties have high Jewish populations and the two counties north of Miami have some of the highest concentration of Jews in the country. What coastal cities are good there? Fort Lauderdale? Boca Raton? Palm Beach? etc...

Any advice is welcome, as well as suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 04:03 PM

763 posts, read 3,537,330 times
Miami Beach definitely has a big Jewish population, there are a lot of Jewish families that have lived in Miami for a very long time. As such, there are a lot of synagogues as well as some of Miami's best-known Jewish museums.

The public schools in Miami Beach tend to be pretty good, not Miami's best, but definitely not the worst, they're average. Some of the elementary schools are very good though. Miami Beach SHS is known to be a good high school.

In terms of transit, Miami Beach is very good too. You can basically walk everywhere and never touch a car. Most people ride bikes, vespas, walk, or take the bus in Miami Beach. Unless you plan on working outside of Miami Beach, you don't need a car to live and get around. In terms of safety, I'd say it's safe for your H.S. and middle school children to walk around but I wouldn't let an elementary child walk around, there are a lot of people.

However, if you're looking into Miami Beach, I'd highly suggest you look into Downtown Miami and Brickell. It's very, very urban, walkable, great public transit, free Metromover trains around Downtown, good schools, safe, lots to do, close to everything and it's growing very fast. Miami Beach is more beach-oriented and can be a bit touristy in some parts, where as Downtown attracts more families, young professionals, singles, it's more of a Manhattan feel.

Regardless, best of luck and I hope you choose to move to Miami!

Old 04-26-2008, 06:01 PM

598 posts, read 2,077,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310man View Post
So me and my wife are thinking of moving out of LA with our three children (one high, middle, and elementary). We have visited Miami Beach and loved it there, so we are thinking of moving there. We like MB because it's vibrant, compact, urban, and with plenty of entertainment options, including the beach being walking distance away.

Now, is MB mostly young couples or families without children making it a bad choice? I mean we love it and the crowds, but how are the schools and are there enough children walking around that it is safe for them (not the youngest) to go with a group of friends to the beach or the store or movie theater or restaurant?

If MB is a bad choice, what suburbs can you suggest? We are Jewish and I was looking at a map of which American counties have high Jewish populations and the two counties north of Miami have some of the highest concentration of Jews in the country. What coastal cities are good there? Fort Lauderdale? Boca Raton? Palm Beach? etc...

Any advice is welcome, as well as suggestions.

I maintain that Miami Beach is not a great place for kids. Some people do it, but it's just not very kid-friendly. Most families move to the burbs.

Miami Beach does, however, have a large Jewish population. But you'll find a good deal of Jews in many parts of Miami.

One thing I might ask you is: Why are you moving from LA? I had a friend who told me that LA and Miami are pretty similar in terms of a focus on status, physical appearance, etc. Miami is cheaper than LA, of course. I guess I've just heard so many people in Miami say they want to move to California....

Old 04-27-2008, 11:57 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,493,305 times
OO- Overall Miami South florida isn't a great place IMO to raise children anymore. I know a few people that have moved out of Florida to raise their children in a better environment. If one parent is a stay at home parent, then I think children have a much better outcome here in Sotuh Florida. That said, I think that Miami Beach can be a good choice for a family. You just need to stay North of South Beach. I am not familiar enough to list areas. But places like Surfside on Miami Beach should be fine.

In Miami Dade the best areas are Coral Gables, Pinecrest, Brickell, Key Biscayne (very crowded FYI), Palmetto Bay, there are a few other pockets around the county.

Just know this the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I would love to trade places with you to get away from out heat and humidity.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:17 PM

483 posts, read 1,547,159 times
Probaly anywhere more north than south beach in Miami Beach is a fine place for children. Still have the crowds, urban scene and minutes from the action of South Beach. The Jewish community is strong really all over Floorida but South Florida seems to have the biggest, Miami BEach of course has a large one, another one if I recall is in North Miami or North Miami Beach, and then throughout Miami its more leveled. The coastal cities north of Miami Beach are also great especially Sunny Isles which also seems to have a large jewish population.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:01 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,151,896 times
Miami Beach is not the place to raise children. It is like someone moving to Hollywood to raise kids, you know?

There are many nice areas that are much more kid friendly and have large Jewish populations. Check out the beach communities farther north...Aventura is nice also. S. Florida is very diverse, so you will find Jewsish people in all areas that would be of interest.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:16 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,065,943 times
Stay "SOUTH OF FIFTH" on South Beach and you will fall in love and be very happy with Miami Beach. Rent ranges from 2000-3500

Old 04-28-2008, 05:15 PM

So i read some information about Miami Beach in Wiki and it says the average income is very low and the majority are foreign born. I thought Miami Beach was rich white people?

heydade, why do you say to stay south of 5th?

And also, I've heard Coral Gables is nice as well, but what areas are nice in the northern counties. Like Palm Beach or something.

I was kind of expecting people to say MB isn't a good place for a family, but we like urban places and MB seems to be the most urban. I realize DT Miami is urban, but MB also has SFRs which I would like for my family.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:21 PM

107 posts, read 367,765 times
I agree with heydade. I live south of 5th in Miami Beach and there appear to be a lot of small kids in my condo community. I seem to frequently see them at the pool with their parents. SoFi is a quieter neighborhood because the neighborhood association here (called SOFNA) is really vocal. They limit the amount of noise by influencing zoning rules here. And you can access the noisy part of south beach by walking 5 minutes north, which is really nice. It's the best of both worlds.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:40 AM

It seems like SFRs are hard to come by south of fifth. So I guess what you're saying is that MB isn't that great and the only nice area is south of fifth? What about areas farther north such as Atlantic Heights, Bal Harbour, Surfside, Sunny Isles Beach, Golden Beach, and Aventura? Are they more practical for a family than Miami Beach with at least some kind of entertainment. I realize it will be nothing like MB though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami