Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 11:42 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
I have also heard good things about these units.
What have you heard about the ductless air conditioners? I am about to spend $$$ on two systems for my home. Am I making the wrong choice of AC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 04:00 PM

86 posts, read 80,479 times
Thank you for all the replies, they were very helpful. Those wall mount split systems as shown in the video are GREAT but expensive. I know someone who has one, they work very well but I only need around 3 degrees cooler and I will be ok.

for everyone who was saying the portable a/c units are great, are they with a hose where you have to open a hole in the wall or window or are they ductless/ no hose?

If they are no hose/hoseless then I will go with that, it would be great not to rip out anything, if they are no hose a/c units I would greatly appreciate the brand!

again thank you everyone!!

Old 06-27-2020, 04:16 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
The portable AC units have to be vented, the hot air goes out through this vent. It is about a 6" vent tube. They provide the things to make it attach to a window to vent out. The cold air just blows out the top of it. Sort of a bit noisy, loud conversation level.

You might want to look at the other suggestions like window film to keep the sun's heat out better, that alone could get you the three degrees you need. On my one room of the house where I have my office, I simply pull the shade down to block out the sun and that alone makes it noticeably cooler.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:59 PM

786 posts, read 626,618 times
Those portable ones that evap drain are awful, you will have to vent regardless.

You should have your AC serviced and inspected annually. Solar/UV tint will make a world of difference. I dropped my 4 window Orlando living room 5 degrees with just Tint. You can get the, in different varieties, Black, Reflective, Copper, Clear all will do what you are looking for. If you can apply thentint yourself, it will be CV cheaper than the AC.

Those mini Split Units work, but you have to drill a hole through the wall, mount an outside unit, and possibly have a dedicated breaker installed. It can get pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: