Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 01:56 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times

Advertisements

Elchevere,
Thanks for the detailed response. Yes, being able to adapt and modify certain aspects of life and routines can go a long way in better dealing with these recent changes and restrictions.

Very true about a possible hurricane now that we are in hurricane season and about 2 months away from the peak of the hurricane season. I know that everyone is different, has different habits and deals with crisis and changes differently. Even though I never look forward to any hurricanes hitting South FL, this year even less. There are people that I know that are dealing ok with these recent changes, but there are a few that are having a difficult time for various reasons. A direct hurricane hit to Miami this summer can very well break some people psychologically; there are some people that are already on the brink of breaking down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 02:25 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Miami Dade County mayor now requiring restaurant patrons to wear face covering even when sitting at the table except when eating or drinking, but must keep it on when talking.

Any thoughts? Is it reasonable, or government overreach?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mia...243973967.html
It's reasonable. We're in the midst of a pandemic. If people don't want to wear masks to keep others safe, they should stay away from that establishment. Talking spreads germs. I've seen videos of exactly how that happens.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:32 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times
At The Black Point Ocean Grill today for Lunch, had not been there since early winter 2019...It was great, all the waitresses GONE, just Guys serving, weird sight...wonder why ?.. Food was great as usual we wore our masks in and once we got our table, shady plenty but right by the water, instead of under the electric fans, we really and trully enjoyed the food, and NEVER again used the masks until it was time to head home.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:41 PM

elchevere said
Quote:
The one area I remain reluctant to try is going through an airport and flying on a plane. Praying we do not get hit with a major storm this year.
If that's the case (as in the latter comment). Road Trip for me, maybe...but no airplanes yet.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:50 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Where I live we haven't been able to go to restaurants since sometime in March, I think. We can now eat outside but I haven't had a chance to do that yet. They just started letting people dine inside but with masks. I think they have to wear the mask entering and leaving and of course, if they get up and walk to the bathrooms, but you really can't expect anyone to take their mask off to eat, put it on to say something, take it off to take another bite, put it on to say something--that's what your rule sounds like.

I doubt the eating indoors will last here. It's because the virus spreads through the ventilation system and that's why someone sitting far from an infected person could become infected. More people will start getting sick again and we'll be heading right back to where we started from and that was a nightmare experience. We need a vaccine or much better treatment before we can return to anything that feels normal.

Old 07-03-2020, 03:10 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Miami Dade County mayor now requiring restaurant patrons to wear face covering even when sitting at the table except when eating or drinking, but must keep it on when talking.

Any thoughts? Is it reasonable, or government overreach?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mia...243973967.html

Here ya go:

https://www.designboom.com/design/fa...ng-05-20-2020/

Old 07-04-2020, 10:47 PM

154 posts, read 150,287 times
More concerning than the masks...do you really believe these restaurants are thoroughly sanitizing the tables, chairs, condiment holders, etc after every guest? I would doubt it, especially the smaller restaurants.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamInMiami View Post
More concerning than the masks...do you really believe these restaurants are thoroughly sanitizing the tables, chairs, condiment holders, etc after every guest? I would doubt it, especially the smaller restaurants.
The smaller ones are doomed. Many already have shut down for good, as things get WORSE...the tunnel gets darker and darker.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:39 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamInMiami View Post
I found that the smaller ones are taking it serious because they are so happy to be open and don't want to close (or pay fines if they get caught). The big chains I assure you are slacking. Having worked at them (my wife too), they have the standards and the staff gets busy or forgets.

Please don't have the impression that if you're in a fancy place (ELCHE - looking at you!) or a chain that you're safer than Bob's Taco shop. Assume all the tables are dirty and act accordingly. (same thing when COVID ends too. If this virus teaches us anything, its that places aren't clean and we don't need to be touching each other so much or getting so close to one another!!)

Old 07-05-2020, 07:40 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
I tend to follow CDC guidelines, which states transmission spread is far more likely to occur from person to person contact--such as at a crowded restaurant or bar (or beach), which I stated previously I avoid--vs. from surfaces.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...d-spreads.html

The restaurants I have eaten at are barely operating at 10-15% occupancy when I have dined there and tend to be more spaced out and draw less people than a California Pizza Kitchen, Hillstone, or Burger King.

Furthermore, I do not know of too many restaurants that go to the lengths a place such as Nusr-et (which I dine at once a week for their great burger special) does in which they wrap and seal in paper each individual place setting (plate and silverware), which greatly minimizes surface contact along with individual servings of condiments that are discarded and not shared after usage, let alone the next closest and occupied table being 25-50 feet away from me.

I feel very confident eating at the restaurants I choose to patronize based on distancing. I come into closer contact with more people on Brickell Avenue than I do in almost all of the restaurants I dine at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
I found that the smaller ones are taking it serious because they are so happy to be open and don't want to close (or pay fines if they get caught). The big chains I assure you are slacking. Having worked at them (my wife too), they have the standards and the staff gets busy or forgets.

Please don't have the impression that if you're in a fancy place (ELCHE - looking at you!) or a chain that you're safer than Bob's Taco shop. Assume all the tables are dirty and act accordingly. (same thing when COVID ends too. If this virus teaches us anything, its that places aren't clean and we don't need to be touching each other so much or getting so close to one another!!)

Last edited by elchevere; 07-05-2020 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami