Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2020, 04:30 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times

Advertisements

another glorious day today in which the temperature topped out at 84 where I live and, based on the extended forecast, we are expected to remain in the mid-upper 80's (not touching 90) for the next 8 days and into August.

Though I had visited a number of times in the summer before moving here I admittedly wondered whether I was "wishing" the summer to be tolerable, especially coming from California; however, after 3.5 years (this is my 4th summer in Miami) I can honestly say the weather in the summer has been the most pleasant surprise in my relatively brief stay thus far. Summer is not the living hell I feared nor some incorrectly claim it to be.

1. In no way, shape or form does one need to be locked indoors from 10AM-6PM as some would have you believe....you will sweat more and you might limit your sunbathing exposure to an hour (vs. the 2-2.5 hours I would in CA), but that's not a bad thing.

2. I like the mix of clouds, with the intermittent passing 30 minute thunderstorm....I do not feel guilty spending part of a day inside on a summer afternoon for a few hours, as I did elsewhere when it was sunny and blue skies, when we get some rain or mixed clouds.

3. I find June is the make or break month in terms of a long summer (or not) for me.....we expect it to be hotter in July, August and September with October remaining disappointingly muggy, but June is the deal breaker for me....with the exception of 2019, when it got hot starting on June 1 and remained that way, 4 months of summer is not bad....plus we get sea (ocean and/or bay) breezes that seemingly make it more enjoyable here than some other East Coast cities even if our temperatures are slightly higher.

4. Sure, we will have stretches where there will be no breezes and/or no clouds along with heavy humidity and it will feel hot, but that usually only lasts for 2-4 consecutive days--not 2-4 consecutive weeks. There seemingly is change on a constant basis.

5. Those evening thunderstorms and lightning shows out at sea are amazing to watch.

With the exception of 2019, due to a very warm June (actual or seemingly) the summers here in Miami (or should I say coastal Miami) are definitely tolerable bordering on outright enjoyable....of course, a hurricane like Dorian could turn an otherwise pleasant summer into a disaster but that would be the exception--not the norm.

Last edited by elchevere; 07-25-2020 at 04:40 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 05:03 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,603 times
Yes, totally agree. Usually June/July/August are miserable. June was still hot and had some serious hot days for us.

Today we went over to SW FL and played golf in Punta Gorda for $20. We had clouds in and out, it was windy and just gorgeous today. I couldn't believe it was Late July, felt like April. I know the big storms passed through which helped with the humidity, but still.

Its also great that you live in Brickell - an area that gets nice breezes because of the high rises and being on the bay. I'm sure out west in Places like Doral, they would disagree with your Summer Report

However, either I'm getting more used to it or this summer wasn't all that bad so far. I actually felt that April was hotter than usual and was bummed by that but then May turned out to be nice. Go figure!

Old 07-26-2020, 04:57 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Yes, totally agree. Usually June/July/August are miserable. June was still hot and had some serious hot days for us.

Today we went over to SW FL and played golf in Punta Gorda for $20. We had clouds in and out, it was windy and just gorgeous today. I couldn't believe it was Late July, felt like April. I know the big storms passed through which helped with the humidity, but still.

Its also great that you live in Brickell - an area that gets nice breezes because of the high rises and being on the bay. I'm sure out west in Places like Doral, they would disagree with your Summer Report

However, either I'm getting more used to it or this summer wasn't all that bad so far. I actually felt that April was hotter than usual and was bummed by that but then May turned out to be nice. Go figure!
Living in the SW Area Close to the Everglades can be a bummer, but it is not, not even in Summer, this past June was out of hand, but nevertheless we all made it thru and the evenings before the sun was out in the West, the cool Atlantic breeezes were here every late afternoon.

The rains are here and before we know it August (Just 6 days away) and September will fly by like every year and the nicer weather start showing up soon.

Another Season, another year for us in The Sunshine land, here since 1973, in SW Miami since 1988.

We also love it here, no doubt !

Old 07-26-2020, 07:31 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
I regularly take about 40-minute walks at the peak of the afternoon heat even on 92-degree days and son practices football under same conditions several months of year.

No complaints.

On the contrary, anything below 70 degrees and I want my money back.

By my measure, over the past two or three years both rainy season and dry season have been relatively mild in terms of both temperature range and precipitation.

Even hurricanes: one direct hit every ten years is expected and acceptable.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:34 AM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
totally agree.......even temps below 80....depending...can be too chilly for me

Old 07-26-2020, 07:51 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
agree about the chilly....there are actually 2-4 days out of the year when we get a cold front and temps dip into the 40's that I have to break out my ski parka when having my morning coffee outdoors--ooh, the horror.....that was also one one of my beefs about San Diego in which that was even more common (20-25+ days of ski parka weather) in the winter and/or when a 65 degree day there with cold air coming off of the bay felt about 15-20 degrees colder. Some 45 degree winter days in Chicago actually felt warmer to me....perhaps expectations play a part.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:32 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
....perhaps expectations play a part.
Certainly do.

“Ninety percent of the game is half mental.”

In other words, expectations management is one of the keys to a healthy life, whether one inning or extra innings.

All the best!

Old 07-26-2020, 06:54 PM

634 posts, read 405,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
another glorious day today in which the temperature topped out at 84 where I live and, based on the extended forecast, we are expected to remain in the mid-upper 80's (not touching 90) for the next 8 days and into August.

Though I had visited a number of times in the summer before moving here I admittedly wondered whether I was "wishing" the summer to be tolerable, especially coming from California; however, after 3.5 years (this is my 4th summer in Miami) I can honestly say the weather in the summer has been the most pleasant surprise in my relatively brief stay thus far. Summer is not the living hell I feared nor some incorrectly claim it to be.

1. In no way, shape or form does one need to be locked indoors from 10AM-6PM as some would have you believe....you will sweat more and you might limit your sunbathing exposure to an hour (vs. the 2-2.5 hours I would in CA), but that's not a bad thing.

2. I like the mix of clouds, with the intermittent passing 30 minute thunderstorm....I do not feel guilty spending part of a day inside on a summer afternoon for a few hours, as I did elsewhere when it was sunny and blue skies, when we get some rain or mixed clouds.

3. I find June is the make or break month in terms of a long summer (or not) for me.....we expect it to be hotter in July, August and September with October remaining disappointingly muggy, but June is the deal breaker for me....with the exception of 2019, when it got hot starting on June 1 and remained that way, 4 months of summer is not bad....plus we get sea (ocean and/or bay) breezes that seemingly make it more enjoyable here than some other East Coast cities even if our temperatures are slightly higher.

4. Sure, we will have stretches where there will be no breezes and/or no clouds along with heavy humidity and it will feel hot, but that usually only lasts for 2-4 consecutive days--not 2-4 consecutive weeks. There seemingly is change on a constant basis.

5. Those evening thunderstorms and lightning shows out at sea are amazing to watch.

With the exception of 2019, due to a very warm June (actual or seemingly) the summers here in Miami (or should I say coastal Miami) are definitely tolerable bordering on outright enjoyable....of course, a hurricane like Dorian could turn an otherwise pleasant summer into a disaster but that would be the exception--not the norm.
I've longed always said that if Miami/South Florida as a whole was 5 - 10 degrees cooler in the summer or had less humidity, real estate would skyrocket (not like it's cheap or anything) and would somewhat resemble San Diego.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:57 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times
We suddenly have a dry spell in our Paradise, Weather Underground is showing No Measurable Big Rains all the way thru Fr the 31st.

Lets hope they're wrong, Mother Nature can fool anyone !!

Old 07-27-2020, 08:03 AM

1,049 posts, read 960,907 times
Make no mistake, it gets pretty damn hot here. But if you look at the temperatures across the country in the middle of the summer, it's usually hotter in the northeast than it is in South Florida. June was pretty nasty, but I agree that July has been quite pleasant thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami