Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 05:09 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times

Advertisements

Move to NYC, since that is what you desire.

Is it that confusing?

Also, the cars you see in front of your building does not mean they live there or are even visiting the building. Many buildings have valet parking people use. But at that, my neighbor (I use to live in Brickell) had a Lamborghini (Gallardo?), and these were at the time $1200/mth rent condos, lol. Had no idea if he owned his or was renting, and he was in his 20's, quiet, did not even seem to have a job, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 03:16 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
You might be feeling out of place in a new area. You probably had a network of friends and acquaintances in New York and now you have to start all over. There's also a pandemic so meeting new people is a challenge. You are also at an age when friendships are very situational. Before the pandemic, I would go to the office and shoot the breeze with my co-workers and laugh and have fun daily. But since we all work from home now, I haven't talked much to a lot of these people in months. A text here or there but nothing like before. The situation changed. That will happen all the time. I could have a friendship with my kid's friends parents if I see them at a soccer game regularly or whatever but outside that situation, there's nothing. We are all busy people with family and other obligations and it would never occur to each other to do something outside that situation. Free time when you are older is family time. If you are single, it is finding a partner or looking for a one night stand time. Sadly that's just the way it is.

Quote:
Marc, you're right that people don't really make friends after college, I haven't either. I guess what I'm really after isn't the ability to make friends but to have a vibe that doesn't feel so weird to me when I'm out and about. As BNBR mentioned, it may be that this place just isn't the place for me, and to all those telling me to leave Miami, don't worry, I was never planning on staying.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:44 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmnlzr View Post
Marc, you're right that people don't really make friends after college, I haven't either. I guess what I'm really after isn't the ability to make friends but to have a vibe that doesn't feel so weird to me when I'm out and about. As BNBR mentioned, it may be that this place just isn't the place for me, and to all those telling me to leave Miami, don't worry, I was never planning on staying.

But I will get a drivers license and check out some the other neighborhoods you all have suggested. Perhaps they'll be better.

Because what really bugs me is that, at least the neighborhood in which I live, has a culture of conspicuous consumption which I find disgusting. And no, it's not because Brickell is "full of money." I used to live in SoHo and the West Village, which I don't think are "working class" neighborhoods by any definition, but if you didn't know better you'd think that everyone is "poor" if compared to Brickell. I actually visited Miami in August. I stayed at the St. Regis and ventured once down to Forte dei Marmi for dinner, and I can say I had a much more "normal" experience than what I'm seeing right now.

I know that Miami does have many people that are actually wealthy, but they shouldn't be living anywhere near me. I think this might be the only place in the world where you have people living in ****ty 600k condos driving 250k vehicles.

And elchevere, thanks for the spots you suggested, I surely give them a try.
Welcome to Miami were "flashiness" whether you can afford it or not is always in vogue.
If you really want to enjoy Miami while you are here you need to stop thinking about what I bolded above.
Stop being so judgmental about other people's lifestyle even though it doesn't make any sense to you or to anybody else for that matter.
Miami is a fun place and there is a lot more to it than what you see on the surface so set aside your pre conceived notions and just enjoy yourself while you are here.
Best of luck !

Old 11-22-2020, 12:23 PM

215 posts, read 200,540 times
Wink culture of miami

it sounds like you miss the northeast. i lasted 10 months or so living with my retired parents in miami beach and when i hit laGuardia airport on that sunny, chilly october afternoon seeing all of those happy, fat, enthusiastic folk, i felt renewed. i won't be leaving northeastern new jersey any time soon, except if it's to haiti or mexico. if you thrive upon inquisitiveness and enthusiasm, miami is not your place, unless you are around Jews or Cubans. do some volunteering at jewish, cuban, or haitian organizations, perhaps. in addition, i would stop being convinced that living in a semi-tropical area ought to be endlessly thrilling. it's not. caribbean and south american immigrants know how to buckle down and focus on work when the northeast would be going bizerk with such great weather and such clean water. you may still have that type of mentality planted somewhere in the back of your mind. also, try to live in south beach, as it is a walkable area, as far south on collins that you can. it sounds like you might also want to look into coconut grove, or if you feel comfortable around russian immigrants, sunny isle. even s.w. calle 8 in hialeah has a few new high rises, and the cuban community is always energetic and down-to-earth. i would stick with it and don't give up. i envy you.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:53 AM

683 posts, read 853,452 times
What I am looking for is to most closely replicate my lifestyle in New York.

Best thing to do is to move back to NY and try to advance your career there. Or Broward County. It has tons of NYers. Miami isn't really NY friendly because most have big mouths and complain that its not like NY or not similar to it.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:08 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Depends...Broward and Palm Beach County would more likely resemble Long Island, but not NYC (within Palm Beach County, Delray Beach suited for those from NJ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
What I am looking for is to most closely replicate my lifestyle in New York.

Best thing to do is to move back to NY and try to advance your career there. Or Broward County. It has tons of NYers. Miami isn't really NY friendly because most have big mouths and complain that its not like NY or not similar to it.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Depends...Broward and Palm Beach County would more likely resemble Long Island, but not NYC (within Palm Beach County, Delray Beach suited for those from NJ).
I don't really care what it resembles. LOL I just know that those counties have way more NYers than Dade does. They seem move to Miami and then to those counties like after a year later or so from what I've seen.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:55 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
I must be the fluke then...this non Hispanic ex NYer has lived in Brickell 4 years and counting now...also, for the homesick NY’er, ton of NYC eateries and social clubs in Miami/MB—Il Mulino, Lucali, Lure Fishbar, SoHo House, Scarpetta, Hutong, Sullivan Bakery, Luke’s Lobster, Blue Ribbon Sushi, Caviar Russe, Upland, Cote, Do Not Sit on the Furniture, etc etc—some expensive, a few less so...but, yes, more homogeneous and suburban enclaves with ex NY’ers (many, not all, older) are in Palm Beach and Broward County—but if I were a young person like the OP, Miami/Miami Beach would be my preference..

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
I don't really care what it resembles. LOL I just know that those counties have way more NYers than Dade does. They seem move to Miami and then to those counties like after a year later or so from what I've seen.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-23-2020 at 09:59 AM..

Old 12-23-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo1974 View Post
it sounds like you miss the northeast. i lasted 10 months or so living with my retired parents in miami beach and when i hit laGuardia airport on that sunny, chilly october afternoon seeing all of those happy, fat, enthusiastic folk, i felt renewed. i won't be leaving northeastern new jersey any time soon, except if it's to haiti or mexico. if you thrive upon inquisitiveness and enthusiasm, miami is not your place, unless you are around Jews or Cubans. do some volunteering at jewish, cuban, or haitian organizations, perhaps. in addition, i would stop being convinced that living in a semi-tropical area ought to be endlessly thrilling. it's not. caribbean and south american immigrants know how to buckle down and focus on work when the northeast would be going bizerk with such great weather and such clean water. you may still have that type of mentality planted somewhere in the back of your mind. also, try to live in south beach, as it is a walkable area, as far south on collins that you can. it sounds like you might also want to look into coconut grove, or if you feel comfortable around russian immigrants, sunny isle. even s.w. calle 8 in hialeah has a few new high rises, and the cuban community is always energetic and down-to-earth. i would stick with it and don't give up. i envy you.
That's the attitude. If where you are from is so great. Stay there. I never understood the concept when moving to place and then complain about it. Mostly I only see it from NYers though. I've encountered countless people from Chicago and LA when I lived in Miami and didn't hear so many complaints. Of course they missed where they were from but, it was way more less chit chat. Granted this was years ago, because Miami has changed so much and not for the better. But on the same token I always felt NY was very overrated. I have a lot of family there and I rarely go there. I visit my family more in California.

When I left Miami and moved to Arizona. I knew there would be some things I wouldn't like and I knew it wouldn't be like home....well because it's not home. It seems like NYers don't understand that concept.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:44 PM

18 posts, read 12,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVPFord View Post
simple....please just move, Miami ain't NYC which is a good thing

To be frank, we get very underpaid in Miami in comparison to New York. While the cost of living is about to match New York. So I don't know why you say it's a good thing. On the contrary companies know they can enslave Miamians to work for little pay because there's hundreds of thousands of immigrants from Northern States and other countries willing to work for peanuts.

Which is part of the issue with Miami. New York is still the Mecca of business, but at least they pay well in comparison to the cost of living. Now, they are trying to compete with the metropolitan areas and trying to bring folks from New York and other states at market rate. But still locals are underpaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami