Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:25 PM

854 posts, read 2,862,759 times

Advertisements

Who would've thought! lol

Gridlock alert: 5 cities with the worst traffic - 04/30/2008 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

Quite a surprise isn't it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 01:43 PM

87 posts, read 307,422 times
Gee, I seem to be working my way through the worst traffic cities. I lived in NYC for 12 years (horrible, awful, parking nightmares), and Miami for 3 decades (wasn't bad for a while, then seemed to explode into horribleness. I remember not having hardly any traffic on the Palmetto driving to college, and now one plans one's routes for outings to avoid rush hours, which get longer and longer).

Now, we may move to Seattle, and traffic is something we're universally told is horrendous, so live close to work or close to a bus line that takes you to work. Egads.

I suppose fate will drop me in San Francisco, too, just so I finish going through traffic hell in one lifetime. (I ain't going to Minneapolis. Eek. COLD and TRAFFIC. Bleh.)

Mir

Old 05-03-2008, 02:07 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,488 times
That was a list of cities contending to win federal money, theres alot of other cities with worse traffic than any city on that list. A more factual list was released last year and Miami ranked 11th.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:49 PM

149 posts, read 562,443 times
Washington DC didn't make that list??? The infamous BELTWAY???? The beltway is an animal at all times during the day. When traffic is bad in Miami its because of an accident or two, and a bunch of people who don't know how to drive. The beltway is backed up just from too many people. Trust me on this. You don't know traffic until you've had your DC/MD/VA beltway experience. That's why I'm so patient with the traffic down here. lol

Matter of fact, here is another list right here.

A Ranking Writ In Brake Lights: D.C. 2nd in Traffic - washingtonpost.com

Don't get me wrong. Traffic is bad down here. But if you ever experience the Capital Beltway, it will literally redefine what you call "traffic".

Last edited by DCkid; 05-03-2008 at 05:12 PM..

Old 05-03-2008, 09:12 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,930,191 times
I've been in all 5 cities. I'm surprised Los Angeles didn't make the list. Its freeway design is just plain stupid and it's not uncommon to be in traffic at 11pm.

I guess when you combine traffic and bad drivers, Miami ranks up there. Otherwise, Miami isn't THAT bad compared to other cities.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:15 AM

598 posts, read 2,074,348 times
DCKid - I agree with you! First time I've seen a worst traffic list without my beloved DC and Baltimore!

There are plenty of things I hated about Miami but the traffic didn't seem nearly as bad. The drivers were more aggressive and rude though. In D.C. it will take you hours (literally) to get home. In Miami, it will take you an hour but you might be afraid that the yellow car weaving in and out of traffic will kill you.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:25 AM

149 posts, read 562,443 times
I always wondered how many times I heard the phrase "stuck on the beltway". In Miami the drivers actually have an opportunity to be aggressive. In DC you can't be aggressive because theres no space to do anything aggressive. If your not driving in your exit lane, you'll never get off. It's an adventure chaning lanes. lol That's why I'm not used to seeing people not using their signal lights. If you don't use your signal light on the beltway, your not getting home.

One thing about the driving down here is the number of SLOWWWWWWW drivers. I'm talking 40mph on I-95 in the center lane. No body goes the speed limit. They go 20 miles over or 20 miles under.

Last edited by DCkid; 05-04-2008 at 06:48 AM..

Old 05-04-2008, 09:28 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times

The obstacle course they have created reaffirms my thoughts on Government waste.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:52 PM

534 posts, read 2,407,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post

The obstacle course they have created reaffirms my thoughts on Government waste.
Funy, for a while they were just popping up at random around my old neghborhood. (112 ave, that may be it in your picture?). I saw a car go over the bridge, and right THROUGH one of those roundabouts, bushes, curbs, and all. I bet they were surprised! It probably has stopped the age old juvenile tradition of doing 80 mph over that bridge to see if the car flies however.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:08 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,034 times
I love those roundabouts. I wish they would put one up on the corner of my block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: