Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 02:22 PM

126 posts, read 219,612 times

Advertisements

I've recently retired and am planning a move to Miami from the Northeast. In prior posts I have received some very good advice that is much appreciated to narrow down my choices for a condo. As of a couple of months ago I was pretty settled on Brickell but I will not make any moves until after COVID which is looking like later next year. The extra time is giving me more of an opportunity to research (and maybe second guess) my choice.

I have spent a good deal of time in the Miami area over the years so I know the most of the areas pretty well. My son went to the U and I have relatives in the area that I have visited frequently.

My budget is $600K-$650K. I would like a very walkable neighborhood (I'd rather not use my car to go shopping, dinner etc) and maybe have public transportation as an option. I also like taking a daily 2+ mile walk. On past visits I've enjoyed walks along the bay and around Brickell Key. I have my eye on a 2/2.5 condo floorplan at The Plaza in Brickell because of value and it seems to be a well run complex. If I had an unlimited budget I most likely would buy something along the bay in Coconut Grove as I like the neighborhood feel of the area. I know Brickell is a bit less of a neighborhood feel but I believe of the two its the best bang for my buck.

My thoughts on Coral Gables is that the downtown area seems to have a neighborhood feel as well and it may have a slightly older population than Brickell. From what I've seen there may be a possibility of a 3 bedroom within my budget in the downtown Gables area. Because of the city's height restrictions the condo buildings are not the high rise type that are in Brickell and the Grove. From what I have seen online the quality of the buildings and finishes don't seem to be on the same level as the other two areas (not sure this is true but just a gut feel) I've also seen some new condos in the vicinity of the Shops at Merrick Park but does not seem to be as walkable (except for the mall) as the downtown area. I also would not have the bay at my disposal right out my front door. I do also have some concerns of empty storefronts along the Miracle Mile, especially after COVID but feel that the government of Coral Gables will do more to combat the situation than the government of Miami will do for Coconut Grove or Brickell. The post COVID landscape may be different for all of these areas.

Any insights would be most helpful. Someday I will finally make a decision and pull the trigger but for now I want to gain as much local knowledge as I can. I find the advice and feedback I get on this forum invaluable and it is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 06:49 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Good to hear from you again.

I still think Brickell is probably your best bet for the walking, shopping, dining, the weather to ability to do these things. I love the Gables, its very nice, very classy - but you will feel a lot hotter doing those things. Look at what ELCHE always says - a nice breeze off the bay makes walking around Brickell much more enjoyable and i agree. Plus you get shade from the tall buildings to go with it.

Merrick Park is very nice but its far from Miracle mile as far as walking - you'll have the free trolley though as well as those zippy little scooters.

With your budget, you can probably grab a relatively newer construction townhome in the Grove though. You'll get the shopping, dining, walking, outdoor life, social life, yoga in the park/dog walker, boating/yachting, with a lot of exciting new developments coming. Then you don't have to worry about HOA fees or anything and have a bigger budget. (but you'll have to pay for a GYM, the water bill, cable bill, etc that are normally included in HOA fees). You'll get a gated parking spot or even a 1car garage!

Grove has a good hospital, not far from the MetroRail and a lot more northeasterners than the Gables.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:37 AM

Thanks Marc. Always good to get a local's insights, especially one with a real estate background.

I would love to live in the Grove but for what I'm looking for it's beyond my price point. I've seen the beautiful new townhouses being built there but I am trying to avoid being responsible for any exterior upkeep during retirement. There have been a few slightly larger townhouse developments on Bird Ave but that is too busy a street (by Grove standards) for my taste. I would also rather not deal with a small condo association, even if it means just one other party. If you don't get along with the the other party it would be a nightmare scenario for me. I still have lots of family up north and may be away for weeks at a time. With a larger building I could just lock the door and leave without a care. When I owned by condo in Boston it was a small self managed 4 party HOA. I would rather be in a larger HOA and sort of get lost in the shuffle of the masses. I understand that there will be many more rules etc with a larger HOA but I'm okay with that. I do also like the new boutique condos recently built in the Grove like The Arbor and the Glasshaus but those are also pushing the $1M mark for a 2/2.

Most everything I've seen in the Grove in a medium to large building in my price point is on the much older side and not kept up very well. All of the above is why I gravitated toward Brickell. You get more for your money there but in my opinion you lose the neighborhood feel. I'm thinking that the downtown section of the Gables would be a mix of both the price point of Brickell (or less) and the more community feel of the Grove. Admittedly you do lose the lavish feel of the luxury high rises with the mid-rise offerings in the Gables.

All local's opinions are valued so please don't hesitate to add your two cents. Would also like to get more feedback related to condo living in the Gables. Thanks!

Last edited by jr8999; 11-16-2020 at 07:48 AM..

Old 11-16-2020, 03:18 PM

234 posts, read 387,801 times
Brickell appears to be the best bang for the buck because they are always building new condo towers. The Plaza building you are looking at was one of the popular new buildings in 2007, now it's a relative bargain next to all the shiny new towers. Because of the constant building in Brickell I think the condo market can be more volatile than the condo/townhouse market in places like the Grove or Gables where growth is slower.

I live in Brickell because I work in Brickell and find it convenient. I also lived in the Grove and thought the Grove was a better neighborhood. I do enjoy walking around Brickell in the evenings and Brickell does have more waterfront open to the public versus the Grove. I liked the Grove because it was less congested and easier to get around than Brickell. The parks and tree lined streets in the Grove made for a better walking experience versus that in Brickell.

I'm not an expert on nightlife but Brickell feels like a younger crowd than Coral Gables. The Grove used to be a young college crowd but seems to have matured in recent years. Brickell has lots of high end restaurants but I preferred the more laid back restaurants in the Grove that seemed to have more character. The Brickell City Center is an impressive building but its roster of high end stores are mostly useless to me.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
Brickell appears to be the best bang for the buck because they are always building new condo towers. The Plaza building you are looking at was one of the popular new buildings in 2007, now it's a relative bargain next to all the shiny new towers. Because of the constant building in Brickell I think the condo market can be more volatile than the condo/townhouse market in places like the Grove or Gables where growth is slower.

I live in Brickell because I work in Brickell and find it convenient. I also lived in the Grove and thought the Grove was a better neighborhood. I do enjoy walking around Brickell in the evenings and Brickell does have more waterfront open to the public versus the Grove. I liked the Grove because it was less congested and easier to get around than Brickell. The parks and tree lined streets in the Grove made for a better walking experience versus that in Brickell.

I'm not an expert on nightlife but Brickell feels like a younger crowd than Coral Gables. The Grove used to be a young college crowd but seems to have matured in recent years. Brickell has lots of high end restaurants but I preferred the more laid back restaurants in the Grove that seemed to have more character. The Brickell City Center is an impressive building but its roster of high end stores are mostly useless to me.
Everything he said is spot on.

pay close attention to that last paragraph too.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:40 PM

Thanks you guys! Love to get additional opinions

Anyone have any specific info on living in Coral Gables? .... especially in the downtown area.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:34 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
I love Coconut Grove and would kill for one of the L'Hermitage townhouses!

Personally, I'd live in Brickell in a building with one of those rooftop pools.

Coral Gables is beautiful and a very special place but Brickell wins out for me.

Old 11-17-2020, 01:25 PM

I also love the L'Hermitage townhouses! Even if I could afford one I worry about flooding during king tides etc. I've seen flooding on S. Bayshore in that area and wonder what it was like in the L'Hermitage complex.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:07 AM

For year round living with a family, grove wins out easily. For a retired single person, I could see Brickell being better just because of all the options and being around so many people.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:32 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
I don’t know about Brickell being more geared for retired, though certainly suitable. Plenty/more of younger people, many of whom work in nearby finance, medical or law fields in their 20’s, 30’s and 40’s—including young families, some with newborns. From my experience and at the restaurants I frequent (not all fancy) the Grove definitely skews a little older than Brickell (as well as more American, non-Hispanic Whites).

I like the Gables (some of my favorite restaurants are there) but living there would have more of a suburban feel to me (think Garden City, Long Island: La Jolla Village or Irvine, CA), I would likely drive a little more, and seems even more Hispanic, especially Cuban, than Brickell. I’m open to being corrected if wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
For year round living with a family, grove wins out easily. For a retired single person, I could see Brickell being better just because of all the options and being around so many people.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-23-2020 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: