Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 10:10 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times

Advertisements

Oh yes, an education will get you a job that pays well enough to live in Miami. Violent crime has been a feature of this city since before the first drug-fueled real estate bubble of the 80's. Dirtbag criminals are attracted to the reward, and will take greater risks when other options are not available. Bank robberies and home invasions are on the increase as well. Just remember, in Miami working hard will get you the same thing that laborers get, subsistance. The real reward comes from legalized or illegal acess to easy money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:26 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
These guys aren't robbing armored trucks because they're unemployed. These guys are robbing the trucks because they're pieces of garbage that want to make a quick buck, and don't care who they kill in the process.
Well said. if bad economic times equated to high crime then the Great Depression would have been a bloodbath of crime. Instead it was a historical low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmsu9 View Post
its high when compared to it WAS down to under 4% before Bush took office. Bush senior left us with 7.5% (5.26, 5.62, 6.85, 7.49), clinton brought it down from 7 to under 4 constantly declining every year in the same time that bush raised it every year pretty much. see a little correlation between son and papa?
The truth is that presidents can't really do all that much to control the economy. Clinton got lucky to be in office during a tech boom. ANY president would have had the same good economy.
I don't rate a president based on the economy, which is always cyclical anyway. I rate them based on their policies, such as toward immigration, their views on the Constitution, and the types of judges they will apoint. We are so far away from how this country is supposed to be run that most of what the federal government does is unconstitutional. Having a federal department of Education is totally unconstitutional. Any power not expressly given to the Federal government is reserved to the states or to the people, as stated in the 10th ammendment.
Bush is guilty of expanding the government with unconstitutional entitlement programs but it will be nothing compared to what any of the current candidates will do when elected.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:30 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Well said. if bad economic times equated to high crime then the Great Depression would have been a bloodbath of crime. Instead it was a historical low.

The truth is that presidents can't really do all that much to control the economy. Clinton got lucky to be in office during a tech boom. ANY president would have had the same good economy.
I don't rate a president based on the economy, which is always cyclical anyway. I rate them based on their policies, such as toward immigration, their views on the Constitution, and the types of judges they will apoint. We are so far away from how this country is supposed to be run that most of what the federal government does is unconstitutional. Having a federal department of Education is totally unconstitutional. Any power not expressly given to the Federal government is reserved to the states or to the people, as stated in the 10th ammendment.
Bush is guilty of expanding the government with unconstitutional entitlement programs but it will be nothing compared to what any of the current candidates will do when elected.
please show us where you are getting the statistics for the great depression crime rates. Also, do you realize they did not keep statistics back then as they do now right? So to try and compare the great depression crime rates to anything is rather ridiculous given the lack of information as compared to the amount we have today.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
please show us where you are getting the statistics for the great depression crime rates. Also, do you realize they did not keep statistics back then as they do now right? So to try and compare the great depression crime rates to anything is rather ridiculous given the lack of information as compared to the amount we have today.
You are aware of the high crime wave in the 1920's are you not? Tommy guns were available and cheap. Bank robberies were very common as well. Those things went away in the 1930's (Great Depression). That shows that crime went DOWN and not up. Yes, it is true that statistics between then and now can not be comparred without some serious conversions but crime between the 1920's and 1930's can be compared directly.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:03 PM

11 posts, read 28,313 times
theres still some common sense to it. If youre poor with no job and can go buy a piece for $50-100 and rob an armored car for some easy money, you will do what it takes to have food and neccesities. If you have a job and are getting by, are you REALLY going to go rob an armored car? Most likely not on the norm. I never said there is a direct correlation, just a correlation between unemployment and robberies.

and fyi to the topic, armored car robberies happen everywhere. People really sound like they exaggerate crime on this board in a huge fashion like theyve never been to another big city. it does happen elsewhere people and crime is higher elsewhere. the economy is horrible, the poor are getting poorer and thus crime is going up. People are angrier with life and hardships, and turn to crime like property crimes just to make it by and live. Its happening everywhere though

Old 05-13-2008, 12:25 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmsu9 View Post
theres still some common sense to it. If youre poor with no job and can go buy a piece for $50-100 and rob an armored car for some easy money, you will do what it takes to have food and neccesities. If you have a job and are getting by, are you REALLY going to go rob an armored car? Most likely not on the norm. I never said there is a direct correlation, just a correlation between unemployment and robberies.

MOST of the robbery subjects don't rob to put food on the table. They go out and buy cars and put the chrome rims on them, or go buy $150 sneakers and the latest clothes. Believe it or not.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:21 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
MOST of the robbery subjects don't rob to put food on the table. They go out and buy cars and put the chrome rims on them, or go buy $150 sneakers and the latest clothes. Believe it or not.
I think one of the major factors is there is no rehabilitation possibilities. I don't think people become career criminals because they want to. They do so because they HAVE to. Here's why:

Once you have ONE felony or only ONE jail term, you have a life sentence. Figure this: Joe Blow is young and stupid and sells some coke on the street. Ends with a little $$ and easy women, sooner or later gets a gun and uses it or gets caught with a large quantity of dope so next thing ya know he's in the joint. He gets 2-3 with parole after 1.

A year later he's out on the street again. Even if he learned his lesson in the joint, which is not usually the case, he can't get back into the system ever again. ONE g-damn felony means this guy, short of a public epiphany, is condemned to McDonald's at best for life. One felony, and we have created a career criminal who has no chance to ever be anything but a career criminal or a $100K / year liability for life. Since he has no alternative, he will be that.

Multiply that times every jackass ever picked up for dope and there's the problem. That's a lot of people, a whole segment of society. If we condemn an entire segment of the population to poverty for life, you can bet they will fight back. They have no alternative.

The single most socially destructive policy we have in our society is the drug laws. Packing the prisons with drug offenders and giving them life sentences by way of permanent exclusion from the workforce - not to mention the planes tanks bombs and ships we use in the futile fight against - well it's the most offensive and insane money pit this side of bombing Iraq to punish Afghanistan.

But hey what do I know? Well, here's what I know. I know medical professionals in the major medical centers I work in waste endless hours counting pills according to DEA regs rather than use their 7 years study to apply medicine more practically. I know prisoners get all the meds they want for free in the prisons I work in, quite unlike the Haitian immigrants working two jobs and living in Liberty City shacks. And I know that every year or so there are too many people in the prison, so they just let a whole bunch of them out early with little or no fanfare - then they come walk around the hood for a while cause some trouble them end up back in after they've done something desperate because after about three weeks on the street one gets desperate and doesn't care anymore.

See, if we don't care about the people on the bottom, they won't care about us. So we reap what we sow.

Boston does a helluva lot better job at social service than Miami. That's why this is a much safer city. I've lived in both places and I love Miami. But the fact is we just don't have wild west armored car robberies, home invasions, and all that madness. People here just aren't that desperate. If some of those people in the palaces on Brickell Ave just ponied up a fraction of their millions they could alleviate a lot of the ills that trickle down into their neighborhoods. Even if they just so much as made the appearance that they care about the poorest of the poor in Miami, things would get a little better. I live directly across from some of the most fear housing projects in the city, have been here for 7 years and have been safer than I ever was in any suburb I've ever been in. Providing some respite does wonders to moderate anger.

If a segment of people in any society don't care about another segment, it's has been historically the case since the beginning of time that trouble ensues. Be it the Romans, the Huns, King George, Hirohito, or Stalin - societies that assimilate perpetuate and societies that segregate get overthrown. Always.

But then again who really knows?! Maybe it's just the weather...

Old 05-13-2008, 09:58 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,410 times
I guess that since I see cases getting dropped here so often, I have a different opinion. The average person caught with a hydroponic's lab gets 2 years. The person who gets caught on the corner selling marijuana (felony), gets it bumped down to misdemeanor possesion. (penalty is 1 day in jail, credit time served). If he's caught selling cocaine or crack, it's the same thing except the sentence is about 21 days. A guy was complaining today in court because he had to report on a weekly basis on his 5th DUI case. The guys that we arrested for robbery, have long rap sheets and most of the arrests are cases that are dropped by our wonderful State Attorney's Office. When these guys kill someone, everyone wonders why they weren't locked up on the 15 prior felonies. I guess it's good job security.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I think one of the major factors is there is no rehabilitation possibilities.
Rehabilitation doesn't work. Prisons weren't designed for rehabilitation. They were designed as a place for punishment. Instead they have become just a place to pass time until you're back on the street.

Quote:
Once you have ONE felony or only ONE jail term, you have a life sentence. ... ONE g-damn felony means this guy, short of a public epiphany, is condemned to McDonald's at best for life. One felony, and we have created a career criminal who has no chance to ever be anything but a career criminal or a $100K / year liability for life. Since he has no alternative, he will be that.
If you have marketable job skills there is always a job to be found. The REAL problem is that these losers never studied in school and they have no marketable skills. Most employers will hire someone with past drug convitions but they will require them to take occasional drug tests to stay clean. It is most likely the case that these druggies can't stay clean and that is the REAL reason they can't keep a job and "have to" return to a life of crime.

Quote:
The single most socially destructive policy we have in our society is the drug laws.
I would say that the single most destructive societal element we have are drug-users and dealers. If we had the death penalty for drug dealing like other countries (China, Thailand) do then there would be no problem. We don't need their scum ruining our society.

Quote:

Boston does a helluva lot better job at social service than Miami. That's why this is a much safer city.
Ah, then we can solve our problems by buying all of our drug-convicts one-way bus tickets to Boston since Boston is so much better at social services than Miami. Problem solved. Thanks.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:03 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Jail/prison is not a punishment, it is just criminal training camp. People who support drug prohibition often have limited mental capacity and should be excused for their lack of insight. Criminals are opportunitsts and will prey on whomever seems easy to rob. I agree with the above statements, those forced to the bottom of society have nothing to lose and will eventually rebel. Properly trained and armed citizens would be the best crime deterrent. I believe that anytime someone invades a home or uses force to deprive someone of their lawful rights or property, they deserve to be put down. The best punishment for violent crime is in a funeral home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: