Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 06:40 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,660,000 times

Advertisements

Planning a mini-vaca to Miami in Mid March. Just as a foot note-planning on being cautious at all times of course (wearing masks anywhere indoors or near people, avoiding dining in, large gatherings, bars, etc.)

1. Was considering taking MetroRail, because I haven't yet, and because we are staying at Dadeland and it seems like a nice convenient option to perhaps walk around the southern part of Brickell, or other TOD neighborhoods down that way like South Miami, University, Merrick Park, etc. car free. That said: Is it still running with regular levels of time? Also, how crowded or not is it? I'd be hesitant to ride it if it is close to peak ridership, people aren't wearing masks, etc. That said, I'd also be hesitant to ride it if I was like, the only person on it. That would be creepy. Lol. Also, how is the M Path? I was considering running that up to South Miami or University station, and taking MetroRail back.

2. Same question crowds.. but about Zoo Miami or Fairchild Tropical Gardens. Are crowd levels manageable there? Do people mostly mask up?

3. This may be a stupid question, but another place I had thought about jogging instead, was on the Rickenbacker Causeway. It looks like it has a bike line on the skyline facing side, and a bike lane and sidewalk on the bottom side. Is this true? What is the comfort level with being on foot or bike in the lanes there? Or would I feel more comfortable just taking M Path or perhaps a shorter jog around Brickell Key?

4. Any new openings or developments that as an urbanist, I should be aware of, since June 2019? I'm sure there are, just curious, or anything under construction? Is there anything happening at the SkyRise Miami site yet? Anything closed or particularly to be aware of related to times of COVID in Miami itself? Coming from Tampa Bay, which has standard restrictions of course but nothing really out of ordinary from rest of country.

5. Last question-considering briefly stopping inside the new GoBrightline Miami station-does it connect directly through from Overtown station, or is there any signage in terms of where to walk if going up there to do that?

Thanks in advance, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 04:58 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,124,518 times
I would strongly urge you to visit Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. I may be biased as I was a member of the horticulture department for 41+ years. Now retired, I've moved back to the Midwest. Here is a link to the FTBG website: https://fairchildgarden.org/

Old 02-26-2021, 05:45 AM

Thanks! Yeah, I reached out to them, and it does sound like a really nice spot. We only have about 24 hrs. in town offically as we will probably get into town like 10-11 AM the first day and leave by like 2-3 the next to avoid traffic, but if I had to say a top 5 of things we would be doing together, it would be (in no particular order)

-Dadeland South Downtown/Shopping Area (We're staying there)
-Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden
-Key Biscayne (Either going back to Cape Florida, which I loved, or checking out Crandon Park Beach, etc.)
-The Underline (1st phase opening between Vizcaya and Brickell today apparently)
-Zoo Miami

Both the zoo and gardens seem top 10 nationally in their respective areas, so we are strongly considering both. I am sure being a part of that horticultural department was an enjoyable experience.

Old 02-26-2021, 06:30 AM

The Miami Zoo is huge, Fairchild is 83 acres. Wear comfortable walking shoes.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:35 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
-The Underline (1st phase opening between Vizcaya and Brickell today apparently)
No, it's just a small 7-block section north of Coral Way called Brickell Backyard that is opening today. They are not even scheduled to break ground on anything south of Coral Way until later this year. Even so, it's a great start and I'm looking forward to the completion of the rest of The Underline.

https://www.theunderline.org/visit/river-room/

There's a good article with a short video in today's Miami Herald regarding the official opening of The Underline today. I'll post a link, but be forewarned, it's a "subscriber exclusive" story so non-subscribers will not be able to read it.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...249429815.html

Old 02-26-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
The Miami Zoo is huge, Fairchild is 83 acres. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
That makes sense-and with a baby, that might be a reason not to go there. Zoo Tampa is only like 63 acres-I am not sure if the land for exploring is just that vastly larger at Zoo Miami by comparison, but it's something to consider at least, given the relative distance, etc.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:23 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,534,932 times
Some additional information on The Underline that one can read for free, no paywall:

https://www.thenextmiami.com/the-und...d-is-now-open/

Last edited by elchevere; 02-26-2021 at 01:46 PM..

Old 02-26-2021, 03:19 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,534,932 times
Sorry, one more Underline article—from Forbes:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...metrorail/amp/

Old 02-26-2021, 03:47 PM

5,423 posts, read 3,480,717 times
Not metrorail specific but today I saw a bus near 136th street and US1 that flashed a sign saying something like "Bus is at capacity due to social distancing" so the buses are taking this seriously. Also, the metrorail is still free of charge, not sure if the buses are too.

The metro is running from 5am until around midnight. I live near the Dadeland South station and I can hear the trains pretty regularly.

Old 02-26-2021, 04:40 PM

I see nothing interesting in visiting an area under the metrorail tracks. Several years ago, some of the Fairchild Hort department visited a section of the area under the overhead tracks to give suggestions as to what species would tolerate those conditions. Just a bunch of nursery grown plants.

Do visit Fairchild. It is one of the most beautiful botanical gardens in the sub-tropics. There are 11 lakes, tropical plants from throughout the tropics, a huge palm collection, wildlife, a beautiful restaurant next to the butterfly conservatory. Wings to the Tropics has 100's of tropical butterflies in a beautiful, huge (40' tall) screened enclosure. There is a rainforest with a stream and waterfalls. It is a great place to take children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami