Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 07:29 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,953,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyRyder View Post
Compare Miami to Boston MA, a cosmopolitan Northern city. It has ruder people, way worse traffic, and is cold even during the summer

Boston is not cold during the summer I was born and raised in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 10:32 AM

776 posts, read 1,669,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Yeah, that definitely is a plus to living in Miami, everyone's eyes always drop when they hear it lol. I was in Chicago visiting a friend up there and once I told everyone I was from Miami, I didn't stop getting questions and "you're so lucky" and all that jazz. I think sometimes people in Miami complain too much and don't realize how beautiful of a city this really is.

Because working people there dream of getting away from the long cold winters or their daily rut just like anyone else. They see 80 degrees and sunny with half naked women on the beach in Feb and it seems to be an escape to 'paradise'.. However, 'The Loop' and central city of Chicago is stunning, even has a decent beach near downtown. Boston is another incredible walking city with a ton to offer as long as it isn't too cold.. Miami on the other hand has the incredible beaches and little else IMHO..my guess is most tourists from up north will spend a few hours at most downtown and get out of dodge fast..In Chicago or Boston you can spend many days or even weeks and never get tired.. A big plus of cooler weather is you can actually be outside and roam the city without sweating.. Miday temps from 55 to 80 seem optimal for this..

Old 05-10-2008, 10:33 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,859,358 times
That is an underrated element of Chicago, that it has beaches, and nice ones at that.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:38 AM

776 posts, read 1,669,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
That is an underrated element of Chicago, that it has beaches, and nice ones at that.

Chicago just blows me away every time I've gone..of course never in winter and never in the middle of the summer..lol

I know you've been to a lot of places too.. Would like to check out Minneapolis..Been there?

Old 05-10-2008, 10:44 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,859,358 times
I haven't really checked out the city that much. I have mainly been there for business dead in the middle of winter (brrr). The only impression I could really get is that their culinary scene is really impressive, the Mall of America is like a bloated Sawgrass Mills (kind of tacky), and downtown is neat and tidy. The traffic is also unbelievable, and I can only imagine that it's worse after the bridge since that took you right downtown. I'm also not a fan of that passive-aggressive "Minnesota nice" (look it up). I would love to go in the spring or the fall to check out the city though. I was really really happy to get home and swelter the times that I went, although let me tell you the people are a lot rougher!

Old 05-10-2008, 01:14 PM

44 posts, read 48,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Those beaches, pretty as they are, and with a backdrop of skyscrapers taller and more numerous than Miami will EVER have, have waters lapping on them that are 65 degrees at their warmest point in August. That's cold!Chicago architecture is simply incredible. It is a lot more diverse than Miami's pastel and white condos with blue-glass balconies.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:30 PM

763 posts, read 3,528,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin Darlin' View Post
Those beaches, pretty as they are, and with a backdrop of skyscrapers taller and more numerous than Miami will EVER have, have waters lapping on them that are 65 degrees at their warmest point in August. That's cold!Chicago architecture is simply incredible. It is a lot more diverse than Miami's pastel and white condos with blue-glass balconies.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:02 PM

179 posts, read 1,208,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Boston is not cold during the summer I was born and raised in that area.
I have lived in the area my whole life. It is cold on many days. It's really only warm for July/August. I mean I guess it depends on your definition of warm....

Old 05-10-2008, 03:19 PM

179 posts, read 1,208,231 times
Even in July/August it is COLD by my standards! You can hardly ever wear shorts...even in the summer it's jeans/pants and a light jacket.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:46 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,562,414 times
I think that it shows that there is no perfect place to live in this country or this world for that matter year round. Every place has its idiosyncracies,its good points and its bad points whether its about job wages and salaries,weather and climate,the people,traffic and quality of life,it is what you make of it. You can name any place and find fault with it ,no one place can fulfill everyone's needs all the time.

Last edited by noland123; 05-10-2008 at 04:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami