Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 03:45 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Unless you're a white European - Immigration Laws have always been biased -designed against minorties. There may be a 15 year wait . Are you telling me you have never heard this or read anything aside from a City_Data Post or a meme?

https://networkadvocates.org/recommi...ustice/impact/
Nope, not at all.

I am an immigrant, white at that, lol. We have the same wait or lack of as everyone else.

I have relatives waiting ten years now for their visa. I have relatives that have never been approved for a tourist visa to even visit me. We are all white, all European.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:56 AM

786 posts, read 626,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Nope, not at all.

I am an immigrant, white at that, lol. We have the same wait or lack of as everyone else.

I have relatives waiting ten years now for their visa. I have relatives that have never been approved for a tourist visa to even visit me. We are all white, all European.

Are they from an unstable or contentious with the US nation???

10 years to acquire residency is one thing, but a tourist visa is something completely different... they must have overstayed a previous visit, broken a major law, or just filled or left out important info on the applucation.

Old 04-25-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
Are they from an unstable or contentious with the US nation???
Nope, not at all.

Quote:
10 years to acquire residency is one thing, but a tourist visa is something completely different... they must have overstayed a previous visit, broken a major law, or just filled or left out important info on the applucation.
Nope, that is not how the tourist visa works at all.

People get denied basically around the "have proof you will return" issue, in that it is up to the consular officer to determine this person will return or not. None of my relatives that were denied a tourist visa have any criminal background, never visited to even over stay, nor left anything out in the app. Basically, the consular officer determined they did not submit enough proof they will return.

Point is though, poster harping on as if minorities are the only people ever impacted, which is complete BS. Numerous white, Europeans, go through the same frustrations with the US immigration system, even in trying to visit the US.

Old 04-30-2021, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Nope, not at all.

Nope, that is not how the tourist visa works at all.

People get denied basically around the "have proof you will return" issue, in that it is up to the consular officer to determine this person will return or not. None of my relatives that were denied a tourist visa have any criminal background, never visited to even over stay, nor left anything out in the app. Basically, the consular officer determined they did not submit enough proof they will return.

Point is though, poster harping on as if minorities are the only people ever impacted, which is complete BS. Numerous white, Europeans, go through the same frustrations with the US immigration system, even in trying to visit the US.

My wife's family is from Brazil and we have done the tourist visas for all of her family members many times. A few of them took 4 months to get. They have all been scrutinised every which way possible, but never denied. Its common sense to have a return flight or departure of some kind scheduled upon submission of paperwork. They never would have gotten approved without it... I don't know why anyone would try to.

Old 04-30-2021, 11:54 AM

1,049 posts, read 960,547 times
Quote:
Nope, not at all.

Actually you're wrong if you don't think the immigration system here is somewhat biased. Or you simply have not paid close enough attention.

The biggest example of the bias is the treatment of Haitians versus Cubans in terms of refugee status. Haiti is arguably much more unstable and it's people suffering more dire circumstances, yet they are not given the same immigration treatment as the Cubans that fled Cuba to the US.

Whether it's racial or political is up to debate, but there is still an obvious bias.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
My wife's family is from Brazil and we have done the tourist visas for all of her family members many times. A few of them took 4 months to get. They have all been scrutinised every which way possible, but never denied. Its common sense to have a return flight or departure of some kind scheduled upon submission of paperwork. They never would have gotten approved without it... I don't know why anyone would try to.
They actually tell you to not purchase any tickets before visa approval, having a return flight is not evidence that a person will return and not overstay their visa. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...t/visitor.html

"Do not make final travel plans or buy tickets until you have a visa. "

The usual issue is this:

"Evidence of your employment and/or your family ties may be sufficient to show the purpose of your trip and your intent to return to your home country. "

They do not take into consideration having a return ticket, nor any sort of affidavit from anyone, even a US politician, about it

They have even denied a person a visa wanting to come over to donate stem cells for a relative:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/leukemi...r-denied-visa/

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
Actually you're wrong if you don't think the immigration system here is somewhat biased. Or you simply have not paid close enough attention.

The biggest example of the bias is the treatment of Haitians versus Cubans in terms of refugee status. Haiti is arguably much more unstable and it's people suffering more dire circumstances, yet they are not given the same immigration treatment as the Cubans that fled Cuba to the US.

Whether it's racial or political is up to debate, but there is still an obvious bias.

So, the only example you can come up with is Cubans? Lol. Try harder than that.

But fact is, the premises of the post I responded to is incorrect, and your minority versus minority group does not support that us Europeans somehow get special treatment as the post stated.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:14 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Since the OP has not returned in almost two weeks, if their inquiry was real, I'm hoping they have abandoned their plan to seek US benefits for their not legally resident relatives. (I've been told you can't say illegal aliens.)

Since it was a first post, suzy may have been trolling us.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
They actually tell you to not purchase any tickets before visa approval, having a return flight is not evidence that a person will return and not overstay their visa. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...t/visitor.html

"Do not make final travel plans or buy tickets until you have a visa. "

The usual issue is this:

"Evidence of your employment and/or your family ties may be sufficient to show the purpose of your trip and your intent to return to your home country. "

They do not take into consideration having a return ticket, nor any sort of affidavit from anyone, even a US politician, about it

They have even denied a person a visa wanting to come over to donate stem cells for a relative:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/leukemi...r-denied-visa/

So, the only example you can come up with is Cubans? Lol. Try harder than that.

But fact is, the premises of the post I responded to is incorrect, and your minority versus minority group does not support that us Europeans somehow get special treatment as the post stated.

Funny, because the first time my relative visited the visa process took multiple months on hold and they asked for "more evidence" of travel plans and intent to return. After submitting a ROUND TRIP booking three months out, the visa was approved that very week. Nothing about employment, family ties, destinations, addresses, reason for travel was further scrutinized or questioned past that point.

The second and third visitors from there submitted round trip bookings with the same exact information and no questions asked, no hold up, visas issued promptly.

Of course they are going to tell you not to book travel plans before they issue a visa because not all flights are refundable and they open themselves up for legal issues if and error can be proved, but saying they dismiss a round trip when considering intent to return with all other provided evidence does not hold water, sorry.

I've experienced this exact situation when applying to travel to Brazil, and their process mirrors the US tourist visa process. Round trip booking fixed that problem as I knew it would. I only didn't initially because my employer was flip flopping on the time I could take off and didn't want to get into 30 day refund waiting at the time. Now most booking agencies and airlines have friendlier cancellation or rescheduling policies, makes no sense not to do it anymore.

If you have people waiting 10 years to visit, they or you are doing something really wrong or shady to set off the alarms, or your are just exaggerating or lying to make a point.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:47 AM

60 posts, read 29,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy1399 View Post
Hi, I would love a response from an immigration attorney and/or someone who has been through a similar situation. I am attempting to apply for SNAP benefits but am hesitant to list my undocumented parent as part of my household because I am worried about the possibility of putting them on the radar for USCIS/ICE. I did a bit of research and learned that the information is confidential and while the government will crosscheck their status with ICE, they won't request documentation. Still, with the current climate around the detention and deportation of undocumented immigrants, I am worried that by including them as part of my household on a government form, I will be putting them in danger.

For those who have had experience with SNAP and undocumented immigrants, is the confidentiality truly upheld? Is it wise of me to include them?

Thank you in advance for your responses!
Nothing that you tell the government is confidential, that is the best way to look at that.

And, count up the benefit that you gain, against any potential loss: I don’t think that it is worth the risks, for the pittance that they will give you. I don’t think that it would be worth if you gained immensely, the potential downside is too great. Such as, what if someone turns you in?

I easily qualify for food stamps myself, but I will not apply. And I have my reasons, such as:I don’t need them, and I don’t want them or the stigma that they bring.

You don’t need the advice of an attorney, you have your own good sense to guide you.
I wouldn’t do it. Do not list your parents.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post

That actually is a very interesting topic. I don't know if or how much race comes to play into it, but Haiti as you pointed out is very unstable and poverty is a big issue which makes Haitian travelers to the US more of a threat to enter illegally or overstay legit visas. It would not be accurate to say they are an increased national security threat like terrorists, but relaxed borders will only encourage more undocumented people possibly terrorists who would eventually identify this weakness to exploit. Haiti is not the only Caribbean nation suffering one could include in the discussion.

The Dominican Republic is also a nation that sees lots of undocumented people entering the US, and often they do so through Puerto Rico. I believe this is where one can find the race element of the argument, as different skin color, culture, and speech/language can make it easier to detect. If one can make their way from DR to PR, its a lot easier to enter FL... not that US soil is completely unguarded but is in no way Fort Knox. South and Central Americans need to be applied to this argument too. Nobody should be sneaking in nor overstaying, but the reality is that especially in Florida more Dominicans and South/Central Americans can blend in with a much larger segment of the US population than Haitian nationals. Race can't be dismissed in this discussion, but I am not comfortable saying that it is a key or even prominent motivator in immigration bias.

Cuba is a completely different topic that dates back to the Cold War, and even before. This issues blends politics, international relations, history, and even economics that most major Universities issue Undergraduate as well as Graduate Majors and Certificates as fields of study... I don't think a City-Data thread is qualified to address this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: