Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 06:15 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times

Advertisements

As mentioned plenty of times by myself and others:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sun...outputType=amp

“But South Florida has a mediocre ranking nationally as a technology employer. According to the most recent annual “Tech Talent” survey by CBRE, the real estate services firm. the tri-county area ranked No. 37 out of 50 North American job markets for technology.“

“Do I think we’re going to replace Boston or California or even perhaps the Research Triangle in North Carolina?” he asked. “I think you’re going to see South Florida moving up in the rankings and I think you’re going to see them continue to improve. It’s our hope to be in the Top Ten. We’re not going to be Silicon Valley. We’re not going to be Boston. We’re not going to be Austin.”

The tech scene will improve (vs a somewhat low bar) but the temporary advantage gained by Miami’s less restrictive Covid policies is nearing a close as other cities are reopening. It’s lower taxes/lower COL advantage is offset elsewhere by premier / higher quality universities and research centers (i.e. horse before the cart) along with higher paying opportunities. I could see Miami developing into the cryptocurrency capital given its experience in dealing with “shady” money in the past.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-19-2021 at 06:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 11:02 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
As mentioned plenty of times by myself and others:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sun...outputType=amp

“But South Florida has a mediocre ranking nationally as a technology employer. According to the most recent annual “Tech Talent” survey by CBRE, the real estate services firm. the tri-county area ranked No. 37 out of 50 North American job markets for technology.“

“Do I think we’re going to replace Boston or California or even perhaps the Research Triangle in North Carolina?” he asked. “I think you’re going to see South Florida moving up in the rankings and I think you’re going to see them continue to improve. It’s our hope to be in the Top Ten. We’re not going to be Silicon Valley. We’re not going to be Boston. We’re not going to be Austin.”

The tech scene will improve (vs a somewhat low bar) but the temporary advantage gained by Miami’s less restrictive Covid policies is nearing a close as other cities are reopening. It’s lower taxes/lower COL advantage is offset elsewhere by premier / higher quality universities and research centers (i.e. horse before the cart) along with higher paying opportunities. I could see Miami developing into the cryptocurrency capital given its experience in dealing with “shady” money in the past.
The funny thing about this ranking is the reason why Miami jumped to 37th was because CBRE lumped in all counties in the metropolitan area haha. Before it was just MDC and it would rank between 50-45. But yeah as always, the hype is not real and as I said before (as have you) it's also done to help boost the mayor and his business ties. The fact that VC companies are giving his campaign money and his company is heavily invested in Bitcoin is further proof.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:18 AM

396 posts, read 417,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Just an FYI, a lot of people on LinkedIn change their locations just to fit in with trends. Relying on this data is not accurate at all and is just a marketing ploy.
Just like all the posters here with their "I want to move to your town but have never been there. What can you tell me about it."

A users post history can be very enlightening....

Old 05-19-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _burrito View Post
Just like all the posters here with their "I want to move to your town but have never been there. What can you tell me about it."

A users post history can be very enlightening....
Tell me about it haha, I even know a few friends who did the same with their LinkedIn profiles and put Miami in it just to virtue signal. Then again it's hilarious seeing politicians and people pumping up the LinkedIn stats knowing it's not the most legit haha.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:28 PM

233 posts, read 230,631 times
https://www.latimes.com/business/tec...expat-in-miami

Quote:
How I became Florida Man: Why one Bay Area startup founder joined the Miami migration
Quote:
What made me love San Francisco so much was its people. People with warmth and curiosity. People with optimism, charisma and a sense of adventure. People willing to dare. People who were generous with their networks and wisdom. The raw animal energy of the town was what attracted many of the most ambitious builders from around the globe to San Francisco. I saw those people, that energy in Miami.
Quote:
I’m sure there are plenty of issues that I’m ignorant about in my few months here, but what’s clear to me is an animal energy and spirit of the people here to take these challenges head on. The old world is gone, and traditional bastions of power are weaker than ever. Miami senses this moment and is making a play for leadership in this new era. What’s more American than an underdog story? What’s more of the future than disrupting Silicon Valley itself?

Old 05-24-2021, 04:47 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,465 times
Animal energy had zero role in Silicon Valley's success. It was brainpower.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgator View Post
Woo, like Rabois and a few others on Twitter, are just there to pump up Miami for their own gain. It's all speculation. Just like a member (Jack something) on Twitter stating that Miami is the best place for tech since you can "get waterfront views for $600 a month rent" lol. My tech friends in Miami also tell me a lot of the stuff you're seeing is pure speculation and the hype is not real. And again, like others mentioned, Miami lacks the brainpower and existing infrastructure... it'll be a good regional hub but that's about it.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:08 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
...and an assist from the Federal government.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcru...on-valley/amp/

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Animal energy had zero role in Silicon Valley's success. It was brainpower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami