U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,097 times

Advertisements

i was reading a bio about gloria estefan and this is what it said: Gloria and her mother lived in a Cuban ghetto near the Orange Bowl in Miami. where is this ghetto?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 07:51 PM

483 posts, read 1,450,361 times
Little Havana?!?! I wouldn't really call it a ghetto though.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:04 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,580,900 times
It's an upscale ghetto.

Not as dangerous as a real ghetto,it's basically a lower-lower middle class neighborhood with a lot of immigrants.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:08 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,014,954 times
Technically, "ghetto" means an area where exclusively one group of people lives; around the Orange Bowl used to be almost exclusively Cuban but nowadays it has a lot of Central Americans and others that live there. It's not ghetto in the sense of crime-infested, though; it's just a working class neighborhood.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:10 PM

763 posts, read 3,347,466 times
Little Havana I assume but it is not the ghetto at all. It's just a normal working class neighborhood. Little Havana is quite charming actually, it has a lot of character.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:14 PM

44 posts, read 38,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
It's an upscale ghetto.

Not as dangerous as a real ghetto,it's basically a lower-lower middle class neighborhood with a lot of immigrants.
Well put... I would not classify Little Havana as a 'ghetto' because it has the necessary apparatus or and local institutions in place for those living there to "work, achieve, or rise above the monotony" of living in a poorer immigrant area. Key things that exist in Little Havana that do not exist in Miami "Ghettos"...-Abundance of Day Care centers (Jose Marti is a big one in Little Havana)-Location next to downtown and Brickell areas...commerce and opportunity is near.-The abundance of local businesses; Little havana is a little economic powerhouse with its restaurants, shops and stores.-English centers - for those who want to advance their careers. -Relative safety; 8th street is partolled by very competent City of Miami cops who know how to handle local situations.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:28 AM

654 posts, read 708,677 times
its more of a barrio.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:36 PM

177 posts, read 517,103 times
I grew up less than a mile from the orange bowl (North river drive near 17th AVE) Some of the surrounding areas are kind of crappy. However, it really isn't as bad as it looks on the face of it.

I have a lot of friends that grew up in much nicer areas in south Miami, and Kendall. They consider where i grew up "the ghetto" as well. It's all relative in my opinion. That area isn't as bad as it looks. However, i think it can qualify as the 'hood'. As a kid, i did wake up to gun fire outside in the middle of the night a few times.

I don't live in Miami anymore. i left when i graduated from high school (Miami high- AKA "La Habana high"). Any sting rays out there?!?!

The neighborhood directly east of the Orange bowl is worse than where i grew up. On many occasions i've been offered to buy drugs from 12 year old kids on bikes...

Old 11-07-2008, 12:51 PM

10 posts, read 59,421 times
I wouldnt say as a whole it's ghetto, your right about it looking worse than it is, but east little havana from like 10th ave down towards downtown does get ghett my friend live on 5th ave & it looks and is ghetto but if your from there it aint no biggie it's just people from outta town who gotta be worried cause ther usally the targets for robberys an ****.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:41 PM

253 posts, read 381,420 times
I love that area, at least as a visitor. It gave the Orange Bowl character, a rowdy atmosphere. I'd walk around the stadium before a game to get a flavor of the area. Other than east of the stadium, which is seedy as someone else indicated, I think the area is generally overstated as problematic.

Dolphin Stadium is like playing a game in a warehouse. Blah. I still can't believe Joe Robbie agreed to those blueprints in that irrelevant area. It's a great stadium to bet on the road team, that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami