Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2021, 03:37 PM

149 posts, read 149,112 times

Advertisements

Like most people will probably say the beach, the ocean, maybe the nightlife. What are your favorite things about living in Miami that you don’t hear as often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 07:53 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,345,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginty74 View Post
Like most people will probably say the beach, the ocean, maybe the nightlife. What are your favorite things about living in Miami that you don’t hear as often?
The Weather!

Better than Naples & Orlando 100%!! Less hot, less humid, and if you're near Biscayne or further East, you don't get the hellacious downpours at 3PM in July/Aug/Sept!

Old 05-13-2021, 01:15 AM

9,347 posts, read 14,270,536 times
The weather, but for me mainly because in winter there are fewer cold snaps and almost never daytime temperatures in the 50s or below, as opposed to Orlando, for example, and even rarely in the low 60s; humid cold is the worst, while humid heat doesn't bother me, even in the 90s, in fact the humidity protects.

No state income tax.

Under US jurisdiction.

On the east coast.

Year-round outdoor activities if one wants to, and plenty to do indoors if one doesn't.

I hardly ever see the ocean, and don't care, most residents have clean, clear pools steps away, no need to find parking. In fact, no one whom I know goes to beach often, that's more for people who live right on the beach than not.

Don't know jack about the so-called "nightlife" and don't care.

Old 05-13-2021, 04:16 AM

7,396 posts, read 6,505,371 times
To add to what has already been posted:

Great restaurant city

People more direct, thicker skinned, even rude, but I will take that over soft, easily offended PC types.

Minimal homeless presence....you really need to live in or visit other US coastal cities to appreciate how much better (or out of sight) the situation is here.

Great shopping. Miami has several high end luxury brand standalone boutiques found in only 3-4 other US cities. Great malls—dying in many other cities, not here.

More bang for the buck compared to other comparable coastal cities. Has gotten more expensive within the past 3-5 months, possible that is a temporary—not permanent— spike.

To expand upon the good nightlife scene , it is not just limited to the 20 and 30 year old crowd. Good (and some classy) venues for us older folks (Deck at Island Gardens, Living Room at Faena, MILA, various bars/restaurants/lounges with music options).

Last edited by elchevere; 05-13-2021 at 04:41 AM..

Old 05-13-2021, 06:44 AM

7,396 posts, read 6,505,371 times
Few other items: with Miami being a fashionable city, people (locals) generally make an effort to look presentable when they go out at night. Sure, there are casual places such as Monty’s, The Clevelander, Sweet Liberty, The Wharf, Batch Gastropub and elsewhere, but at nicer establishments there is at least some minimal dress code enforcement in place which I appreciate. Even though a beach city it’s not all beachwear all the time at many places.

Miami also has a widespread reputation for being flashy and pretentious. This is certainly true of South Beach (though an out of town tourist is just as likely to be flashy or pretending to be someone they are not—see Las Vegas—as a local) and at nightclubs. My personal experience outside of these slivers of Miami Dade is quite the opposite. You could have sat next to a well off person at a restaurant or wherever and the only reason you know they drive Brand xxx car or own a yacht is because you saw them getting into it—not because they bragged about it. Quite the opposite in some other cities I’ve lived where people will voluntarily go out of their way to tell you what they drive or how much they make and/or come right out and ask the same of you....call me crazy but I find the majority of Miamians I’ve met more grounded than reputation has it.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-13-2021 at 07:48 AM..

Old 05-13-2021, 10:22 AM

1,049 posts, read 957,525 times
I like the Miami "style", at first I didn't when I came here. But it's grown on me and I now prefer it to the north, which just seems a little boring in comparison. I like the diversity and accessibility of the restaurants and nightlife here. I like the independent nature of South Florida, as well.

Of course I also enjoy the climate, beaches, outdoor activities, attractive people, etc.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:55 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,670,608 times
I do not deal with the worst enemy anymore . . traffic on the way out to work and then back home....We live in probably the farthest west of Miami's SW that you can find and we both are retired now since living here since 1998.

Is not like we do not know whats out there, the Mrs drove daily to Miami Springs for years and I to Coconut Grove, but now WE HAVE all we need within 5 mls from US..We drive to Dadeland once a month and we just are astounded by the traffic out there, BUT we love it anyways, why should we care ??

Free Bus rides and Free MetroRail...I mean how can it be better ???

We can park our vehicle at the W Kendall Bus Depot (Just a block away from Baptist Hospital) and go all the way to MIA for free, Fly the World come back and never pay a dime. ???

Folks you will always get to where we are at, it takes time and Miami will do the Trick.

And Beaches here are way too far for Us, but Mom lives just 1.6 mls from Indian Rocks Beach in the Suncoast, and nothing better than the Gulf of Mexico in Florida that is worth any trip to visit loved ones and better than driving to SOBE or even Key Biscayne.. We also have access to 3 Pools and they are all amazinn' here at The Hammocks

No Comparison and really enjoyable all year round.

Last edited by Huasho; 06-12-2021 at 07:05 PM..

Old 06-12-2021, 07:01 PM

5,413 posts, read 3,457,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Free Bus rides and Free MetroRail...I mean how can it be better ???
Is this free at a certain age or because you are retired?

Old 06-13-2021, 12:33 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,394,970 times
The culture, love it.

The food, it is never acknowledged for being a "food place", aside from the constant harping about Cuban food, but Miami has a great diversity of food, I find it is better than the DC area which people always are talking great about.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:19 AM

11,174 posts, read 15,982,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Is this free at a certain age or because you are retired?
It's called a Golden Passport and it's free for people 65+ and Social Security beneficiaries of any age.

https://www.miamidade.gov/global/ser...19934358967260
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami