Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:24 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,639,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
Why everybody try to avoid Howard drive elementary? Is it really that bad? were elementary school boundaries change often? I am interested in a house in sw 142 TE (South to the canal), I am wondering if there is any chance that this property will be redrew into coral reef in the future?

thanks
I don't know why anyone would avoid Howard Drive Elementary. If the house you have chosen is zoned for it, I would not worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 11:39 AM

31 posts, read 104,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I don't know why anyone would avoid Howard Drive Elementary. If the house you have chosen is zoned for it, I would not worry.

But I have kids going to Elementary soon. My friends all suggested me go to either pinecrest, palmetto or coral reef elementary zone. Howard drive is JUST in the middle of those schools. I am wondering if howard drive is really that worse than other elementary school. (It is also rated "A")

Old 03-29-2009, 11:40 AM

I doubt it's any "worse" than the other schools. It's well-rated and located in a very nice neighborhood, so I wouldn't try to transfer my kid somewhere else.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I doubt it's any "worse" than the other schools. It's well-rated and located in a very nice neighborhood, so I wouldn't try to transfer my kid somewhere else.

Thanks. That's a big relief.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:24 PM

46 posts, read 104,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keatingkc View Post
however, I heard much more about the horrible traffic in Kendall so I didn't really look much further. We are moving to Miami from the outback of Australia but have lived in the very congested areas of NY and Washington DC and just want to avoid the traffic as much as we can.
If you are hearing about the "horrible" traffic in Kendall, it must be from people who've never driven in truly congested cities. I've lived in two of the worst: L.A. and Atlanta. Miami traffic, (and specifically Kendall,) is NOTHING compared to those cities. There are a ton of cars here, but the traffic MOVES. I'd prefer this "bad" traffic to any in the nation.

How'd you do on your home search? Both of you who were looking, that is?

Old 03-31-2009, 12:57 PM

Didn't work out with the house (somebody offered higher than me). Anyway, I am happy my kids won't go to howard drive now. (still believe pinecrest, palmetto and coral reef are much better than howard drive.)

Old 03-31-2009, 03:41 PM

640 posts, read 1,817,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
Didn't work out with the house (somebody offered higher than me). Anyway, I am happy my kids won't go to howard drive now. (still believe pinecrest, palmetto and coral reef are much better than howard drive.)
Much better how? Why do you believe that? Among the schools you named, it mainly depends on what teacher your child gets. None of them are collapsing or starving for books or desks -- or students that test well. Is there something you're alluding to but not saying?

Old 03-31-2009, 03:54 PM

I don't know if this is the reason.... but in addition to the regular demographics of Palmetto Bay (mostly Anglo, some Jewish, some old-time Cuban), I believe some working-class kids "of darker hues" are bused in from across US1. Still, though, the school's student body is only 23% black, so I don't know why that would be a problem.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Much better how? Why do you believe that? Among the schools you named, it mainly depends on what teacher your child gets. None of them are collapsing or starving for books or desks -- or students that test well. Is there something you're alluding to but not saying?

Don't be offended, I checked the rating from greatschools, zillow, school digger, and all of which told me the same story. I do want to take back my words since they are all based on the testing scores, and elementary education may not be ALL score education.

What's your guys judging rules about schools? FL rating is also based on scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami