Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2021, 08:00 AM

3,543 posts, read 1,530,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Navy Fires On Its Own Ship (And Sets Off An Earthquake)

June 21, 2021

The Navy detonated a 40,000-pound bomb to test the battle readiness of the USS Gerald Ford, causing a small earthquake near a Florida beach.

DAYTONA BEACH, FL — The U.S. Navy set off a minor earthquake 100 miles off the coast of Florida after firing thousands of pounds of explosives at the USS Gerald Ford in a simulation to determine how the aircraft carrier would perform in battle conditions.

The Navy posted video to social media Sunday showing the massive explosion of a 40,000-bomb detonated in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

The test about 100 miles off the coast of Florida caused a 3.9 magnitude earthquake near Florida's Daytona Beach. A spokesperson for the Navy said it's not uncommon for tests conducted as part of its "full ship shock trials" to register as earthquakes.

"The first-in-class aircraft carrier was designed using advanced computer modeling methods, testing, and analysis to ensure the ship is hardened to withstand battle conditions, and these shock trials provide data used in validating the shock hardness of the ship," the Navy said in a statement.

The Navy has conducted similar tests over several decades, most recently for the Littoral Combat Ships USS Jackson and USS Milwaukee in 2016.

(A Magnitude 3.9 in the Richter Scale destroyed Port Au Prince...Enough to unravel a bad Foundation of a building in Sandy Soil in Florida in just 2-3 days)
I forgot about this. Not a good idea shake 40 year old buildings. FL has infrequent natural earthquakes.

I heard a report that a 2nd floor pool had leaks. Add to that that Collins Ave floods during heavy rain. I watched a video from 2017 and Collins about 5 miles south was very flooded, water going into stores. Not good if condo garage floors flood and water seeps down floor cracks. Add to that:

Quote:
Corrosion of reinforcing steel and other ferrous metal is one of the biggest causes of deterioration in coastal construction projects. The invasion of salt and moisture -- inevitable near the ocean -- results in accelerated corrosion of reinforcing steel, exposing the vulnerable concrete within.
https://blog.dahlstromrollform.com/c...uction-dangers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 08:17 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,173,751 times
It's not earthquakes people need to worry about. It's when the next Cat 5 hits Miami Beach with 10 foot surge battering the foundations of these structurally compromised older buildings. It would not surprise me in the least to see similar damage profiles to Champlain Towers in pretty much every condo built before the post-Andrew 1993 codes unless they've done extensive restoration. Basically any building built from 1981 to 1993 is really, really, really vulnerable to collapse it seems to me in a Cat 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
This incident proved that it doesn't even take an earthquake to bring this type of building down. Plus my understanding is that earthquakes can strike any place on the planet at any time. Even though Florida doesn't have any earthquake faults, that we know about, there is still the possibility of shaking from distant powerful earthquakes, in the the Caribbean or in other states. Soft story buildings need to go, or at least be retrofitted and strengthened.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:30 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,629,871 times
Im correctin myself in that the Port au Price Eartquake was a 7.0 Magnitude.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:34 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,096,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I watched over two hours of continuous helicopter coverage on YouTube, some of it at 2.5 x speed. I saw lots of activity in the uncollapsed part of the building, including rescue workers and dogs going in and out all the time. They seemed to be paying particular attention to the areas on the edge of the collapse zone. But in that two hours of video I didn't see even one person or a dog go anywhere near the debris pile, and I was looking. I think the rescue effort was being centered on the damaged parts of the building that didn't collapse completely.
Helicopter coverage would not show what it going on underground. I've seen a video (on MSNBC) several times that shows rescue workers underground, using tools to cut holes in the debris above them. It was a Miami Dade Fire Rescue video.

Last edited by popcorn247; 06-25-2021 at 09:15 AM..

Old 06-25-2021, 08:36 AM

10,016 posts, read 6,614,882 times
I'm not a conspiracy theorist at all but there's a link now between John McAfee and a 31 Terabyte Hard drive as this was a residency of his.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:39 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,204,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It's early days yet, but according to some sources this building had been sinking for years.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...th/7778631002/
Here is the relevant section of that study
https://news.fiu.edu/2021/fiu-profes...ace-radar-data

I have no opinion on the science but find the specific dot identified as that building eerily accurate.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:40 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,242,624 times
First lawsuit filed last night.

Lawsuit seeking $5 million says victims of Miami condominium collapse deserve compensation

Quote:
After a beachfront condominium collapsed, a lawsuit, believed to be the first, was filed late Thursday night.

A class action lawsuit on behalf of Manuel Drezner, a nearby property owner, and other victims was filed at 11:29 p.m. against the Champlain Towers South Condominium Association Inc., Local10 first reported.

“This action seeks to compensate the victims of this unfathomable loss,” the lawsuit filed by the Brad Sohn Law Firm said.

The court filing alleges the condominium in Surfside, Florida, did not provide adequate protection for residents and visitors to the building, did not repair structural issues and failed to prevent the “catastrophic” collapse of the building.

The lawsuit is seeking more than $5 million in damages.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:49 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,173,751 times
This is where it gets messy. Lawyers are going to love all the business since the litigation will go on for years. The board are the owners of the units, some of who may be dead buried under the concrete right now. So lawsuits against the board are self-defeating for unit owners but there are of course many guest of unit owners or renters in the building who are now dead and their families will have a claim. And if the board is liable, the insurance companies won't pay either and will sue.

If you are a unit owner, you will want to sue 87 Park or the roofing company or general contractor or someone you can blame.

The other theory in the NY Times was unpermitted unit renovations. If a unit owner took down the walls or something in their unit unpermitted, they may have taken out a support column beam and weakened the entire structure. That is also something to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

Old 06-25-2021, 09:07 AM

16,986 posts, read 21,662,435 times
Here is video of the collapse (filmed from neighboring condo security camera)

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...252328493.html

Old 06-25-2021, 09:11 AM

16,986 posts, read 21,662,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
There will be many, many wrongful death lawsuits, specifically against the owners and developer and general contractor of 87 Park. It also falls within the statue of limitations as that is a new building and the residents have been complaining about vibration, cracks, and damage for years during construction. They better lawyer up.

I also want to know who the original architect of Champlain Towers was, what other building they designed, who the general contractor from 1981 was, and what other buildings did they work on. This may be found in the Miami-Dade public records but after 40 years will be a grind to track down. There's no legal liability. Statue of limitations is gone but if the chemical analysis of the concrete shows a lot of abnormalities associated with beach sand or other adulteration then people need to know what other buildings are ticking time bombs.

I think the residents and families are going to want to get money and now there properties are worthless and there's not a lot of public sympathy for the government to reimburse millionaires in their beach condos. There will probably be a fight for years about whether the board was grossly negligent in maintaining the building. This is going to be a $100+ Million insurance claim and the insurer will fight and drag it out.

Razing the building and selling the land to a luxury developer may be the only way the families can get money quickly without years of litigation. I imagine they can come to an agreement with the developer for a respectful tower set back to a small public park and memorial.

Built in 1981...........all of the involved are likely dead by now, businesses defunct. If the architect was 50 years old in 1981 he would be 91 years old today.

Want the winning defense strategy: Building was built to current code in 1981 and passed all govt inspections, lack of maintenance, ground settling and dozens of hurricanes must have caused the structure to weaken. Case closed.

There is nobody to sue except the current building insurance company and that policy will have limits. If they insured for 10 million then that is the max they will collect. The building wasn't owned by an evil mega corporation with deep pockets, it is owned by the 130 condo owners themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami