Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2021, 06:31 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,692,815 times

Advertisements

Any Structure on the Ocean Side older than EVEN way less than 40 Years, should ALL be inspected N. S. E. and West regularly, and I am sure that just like A.A (After Andrew) building codes got to were they needed to be, After this MESS the same has to happen at the Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 06:46 PM

18,433 posts, read 8,268,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Anything this guy built probably needs a major inspection right now.
I wouldn't be quick to point fingers at him at all...

...everything he or anyone else built in 1989....inspectors were all over it

so he met code all the way

Old 06-25-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Any Structure on the Ocean Side older than EVEN way less than 40 Years, should ALL be inspected N. S. E. and West regularly, and I am sure that just like A.A (After Andrew) building codes got to were they needed to be, After this MESS the same has to happen at the Beach.
you'd think, right?....this building was known to be settling for years

Old 06-25-2021, 06:57 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,355,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
you'd think, right?....this building was known to be settling for years
The building that went up next door probably exacerbated an already problematic structure.

The lady on the phone the night before said creaking sounds woke her up from a dead sleep. So odd that this happened but the creaking and such rules out gas explosions, bombs, etc.

Regarding the building itself, yes a lot of insurance companies will be paying out claims. I don't think the owners will have any say in the sale of the land once its cleared and ready to be sold to a developer. If the death toll continues to rise, don't be surprised if the town of Surfside decides to take ownership of the land and dedicate it to a park with a memorial or something in its place vs selling it to Related or Marriott or something.

Such a terrible loss of life, property and possessions. I can't imagine what the missing families are going through right now.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
In some ways, this is a bigger test in leadership than anything the current state administration has seen. There's a perfectly useful playbook for hurricanes that has served the state well for 20+ years and going WWDJTD? for covid was at least going to make half the state happy.

But now you're in the briefing room where the person from SERT is saying it's time to ask relatives who live in other places to provide DNA samples because it's the only way they will be able to identify some of the remains. And the more you think about that, the more horrible that becomes and there really isn't anything you can do to improve the situation for anyone at this point even when the state has more resources available than what most sovereign nations have at hand.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
The lady on the phone the night before said creaking sounds woke her up from a dead sleep. .
...did not know about that at all, thanks Marc

This is the best shot I've seen yet of the garage....you can see how much it sank in this picture > https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/06...4634773346.jpg

Old 06-25-2021, 07:33 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Hi, so many people are saying to get more cranes and rescue workers out there and that it is going too slowly.

Can someone here tell me is that necessary? Could they be working faster and/or need more helpers, though if they did it may cause the buliding to crash down? Do they need to go slow while they are underneath the building trying to find survivors (the sights we see every day where we see about 10 firemen underneath a concrete ceiling which is pretty close to falling on them).

I dont understand this.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:07 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Maybe I was misconstruing your intended message but your previous posts sounded like you felt the rescue mission is going too slow and that is where I disagree. The rescue teams must go slow for their own safety.
I was just posting what I saw. I didn't see a lot of people on the pile. It does look like they are now starting to use heavy equipment to remove the debris. Which seems like a good move. They have to start removing the layers of concrete, so they can get at the bodies. It's going to be a long slow process.

Old 06-25-2021, 10:52 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
They are only allowing 10, 12 rescuers at a time to go in. The heavy equipment has to be calculated as every little rumble, vibration, can cause unintended consequences, you cannot just rush in and start moving whatever you see.

So far it is pretty dangerous for the rescuers, it has been raining every day since the collapse, all that water, weight of it, the erosion through things, can cause things to shift, move around. The debris pile has been settling also.

Though have not read anything about it, I imagine they had to check what is left of the building to see if it was in danger of collapsing as well, before they started full blown rescue efforts.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:39 AM

276 posts, read 282,764 times
May God Bless all the families of the victims and the rescue workers. This is so very tragic and devastating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami