Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 02:26 PM

154 posts, read 150,038 times

Advertisements

I know it's only been a few days since the Surfside collapse but I'm wondering how this will affect the red hot Miami real estate market. Are there any signs of buyers backing away out of fear? Sellers lowering their price, especially along the beach? Prospects requesting low rises?

Also, I live in a 4 story gated condo building just barely outside of Brickell. Will the appreciation accelerate due to a possible increased demand in low rises? Would buying another unit be a smart investment right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 03:02 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
I think demand will decrease and supply will increase on the market especially for older 80's condos that haven't done their 40 year recertification. It could be a nasty correction.

It's just going to get a lot more expensive to maintain oceanfront buildings. Long term it will be a good change as it will make things safer but in the short to medium term there will be a lot more inspections, a lot more expensive assessments, and HOA and insurance fees are going way up. A lot of owners won't be able to afford or change their perspective on living in these money pits and they'll put their condos on the market and create a glut and the market will correct.

The $25,000 condo assessment every few years is going to get annoying as hell but that is probably going to be the new normal.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:13 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
I’m curious to see how this turns out. It might be a good opportunity to buy something at a discount.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:53 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I’m curious to see how this turns out. It might be a good opportunity to buy something at a discount.
Go to Harbor Freight Tools for that . . .

Old 06-28-2021, 04:58 PM

11 posts, read 9,305 times
It will most certainly be a catalyst for what's to come in the real estate market in these types of buildings. There's hundreds of them out there. Water, salt, wind, corrosion, weathering, sinking earth. The reason this thing fell is absolutely a combination of those factors which makes it all the more unsettling because it's hard to identify and more importantly, truly difficult to fix. It's also the likely reason a lot of these structural failures are inspected, and then overlooked...

My good friend that lives on the beach in a condo as far north as palm beach county is telling me that there are many of the residents in his building including himself that are afraid to sleep and go into their own homes! My friend is staying with his mother even though there's no evidence of a problem in his building! He's already planning to move out, and sadly he may end up taking a loss on his condo - we don't know yet. There may be a market for people looking for deals out there, but ultimately this does not spell good things for the market.

Perhaps out of panic, he's already starting to talk about his condo becoming an expensive ”paper weight” and people are confused at this point whether or not they should put their units up for sale now, or see what happens...

It's illogical to say that people have something to fear on a broad level because this is truly a rare and unheard of occurrence. My buddy is a level headed guy and he's already having these thoughts about his condo, so that says a lot about what is going on in the minds of folks that live in these places.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:20 PM

18,426 posts, read 8,258,982 times
It happens every hurricane....and then people forget

Old 06-28-2021, 05:21 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
After 2 weeks it will be completely forgotten. People have conveniently short memories. In this case, they should. That was an extreme outlier, not some predictor of future problems. I am not saying there could not be a repeat, but we are talking million-to-one odds of a problem. Who is going to change their plans for that. It stops you cold for a week, and then you forget it and move on.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:25 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Agreed….an isolated incident…now if 2-3 other buildings collapse or a Category 4 or 5 direct hit….I remember how people thought NYC real estate was dead after 9-11 and Sandy. Like you said, people have short memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
After 2 weeks it will be completely forgotten. People have conveniently short memories. In this case, they should. That was an extreme outlier, not some predictor of future problems. I am not saying there could not be a repeat, but we are talking million-to-one odds of a problem. Who is going to change their plans for that. It stops you cold for a week, and then you forget it and move on.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:29 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
It will be the special assessments that are going to drive a lot of people away.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:35 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
Exactly. It's going to be a bifurcated market. Prices will continue to go up and perhaps way, way, way up in new buildings built post-Andrew and very well maintained.

It's the pre-Andrew crap built in the 70's and 80's that may turn into assesment money pits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It will be the special assessments that are going to drive a lot of people away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami