Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM

530 posts, read 1,460,410 times

Advertisements

Mike, glad you like it up in NC.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:48 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,771 times
I live in Miami, but I am currently in NC. No, this is not a short vacation where everything seems nice from a tourist point of view. I have actually spent quite a bit of time during the summers here. In fact I spent 2 months last summer, and have visited during different times of the year-winter, fall, spring, and of course summer.

In general, people are MUCH MUCH NICER here in the Raleigh metro area compared to Miami. Sure, you have idiots here like you have anywhere else; but they are few and far in between compared to Miami. Great quality of life, nice scenic drives, SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE compared to Miami when going to grocery stores, restaurants, and bars. It is a different mentality here as opposed to the MEEAMI mentality. It just seems like an overall more civilized place to live. You can sense the higher level of education per capita here in the Raleigh area when interacting with people at various places.

Unfortunately, I go back to Miami next month. For now, I will enjoy what I consider a superior quality of life here in the Raleigh area until hopefully I can make a move here in the near future.

"Success is achieved one step at a time".

Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 AM

552 posts, read 592,517 times
^^^ Observer, I have been saying this over and over again. When I talk about it on the Miami/FTL/Florida forums, so many of the Miami lovers dismiss what I say - like I'm lying. I guess they dont believe that there are good people out there that do ask how you are doing and really want to know, very unlike Miami. I have lived in both NC and FL. I now live in Orlando which is getting close to the Miami way of life unfortunately.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:13 AM

Scientifical Madness, unfortunately many people can not relate or do not want to relate(refuse) to the difference in quality of life as well as the diminishing quality of life in Miami. Of course, I when I refer to quality of life I mean respect, common courtesy, manners, civility, patience, lack of hostility, etc.

On the other hand, there are those who can care less about all those characteristics which I feel are positive characteristics and only think of themselves and actually enjoy what is known in spanish as "chusmeria".

There are those that like to keep up with Joneses and have no limits in what they want to purchase whether being a house they cannot afford, luxury cars they cannot afford, and the most trendiest clothing which they can barely afford to feel "special" or "important" or just to "fit in". I know there are those that can afford it. But the collapse of housing prices in Miami is a perfect example of this greedy mentality.

What people do not understand is that peace comes from within, not from material goods. (Nothing wrong with material goods) so as long that it is feasible. It's just a vicious cycle that spreads among many people; good people that I know personally as well.

As far as Orlando goes, I agree. In fact, I have noticed that for some time now. Not quite like Miami, but it seems like it is not that far behind.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:35 AM

Good post, observer.

It's funny, whenever I comment about how nice the people in NC are compared to S FL, I always get the "No, they arent. It's fake nice. People in Miami are more real." Real? Is that what people in Miami call it now? How about aggressive? Angry? Rude? No.... they dont wanna face the facts... it's "real" apparently.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post

What people do not understand is that peace comes from within, not from material goods.
I didn't know that. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:06 PM

^^^ Spread the word down there in Miami!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:11 PM

You are welcome

Old 07-09-2009, 02:40 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
Good post, observer.

It's funny, whenever I comment about how nice the people in NC are compared to S FL, I always get the "No, they arent. It's fake nice. People in Miami are more real." Real? Is that what people in Miami call it now? How about aggressive? Angry? Rude? No.... they dont wanna face the facts... it's "real" apparently.
It is called "in your face" which equals rude, angry and savage. I lived in Miami for 20 years. Now I live in NC and I like it. Sure I miss a good Cuban sandwitch and pastelitos and croquetas, but I rather have over all peace of mind.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:41 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
It is called "in your face" which equals rude, angry and savage. I lived in Miami for 20 years. Now I live in NC and I like it. Sure I miss a good Cuban sandwitch and pastelitos and croquetas, but I rather have over all peace of mind.
I would miss those things too, but like you, I'd rather have less stressful existence, in a place where I'd find it 10 times easier to make friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami