Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 02:06 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbecue_is_a_noun View Post
I am from NC - and have lived in Miami for about 6 years now - I remember going to Shorty's for the first time - me being so naive - I bought the pulled pork sandwich - ICK!!!!! I thought everyone all over the world only ate eastern style NC BBQ!!!! Now I have resorted to making my own and having the bbq sauce shipped down here from Charlotte!

Miami has its good points - close to the ocean, easy to go on cruises, cuban food - and I have made friends from all over the world here in Miami.

I miss a lot about NC - my family, the mountains and the bbq mostly. But I do love being near the water here in Miami!!!
No way!! I lived in Miami for 20 years and now in CLT for 2. I love Shorty's BBQ. Up here we had BBQ King pulled pork (I'm sure you know them) and it was just like Cuban roasted pork, nothing like BBQ.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:27 PM

16 posts, read 17,742 times
Many Cubans choose to get the hell out of Miami, just like everyone else. I have encountered many that are ashamed of the so-called "Miami Cubans", i.e. the refs that have ruined the city and the refs that attracted other losers from Central and South America.

Miami makes the top 5 of many of the worst in America lists. There's even an article on the Miami Herald today that is basically making a joke about the fact that drivers here are literally homicidal (if you lost someone you loved courtesy of a reckless driver, this would be no joke).

I hate Miami. I truly believe this city is beyond saving. Moderator cut: Trolling

Last edited by doggiebus; 09-28-2009 at 05:44 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 05:40 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTruth View Post
Many Cubans choose to get the hell out of Miami, just like everyone else. I have encountered many that are ashamed of the so-called "Miami Cubans", i.e. the refs that have ruined the city and the refs that attracted other losers from Central and South America.
This is what has been repeated to me several times. Sad.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:15 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTruth View Post

Miami makes the top 5 of many of the worst in America lists. There's even an article on the Miami Herald today that is basically making a joke about the fact that drivers here are literally homicidal (if you lost someone you loved courtesy of a reckless driver, this would be no joke).

I hate Miami. I truly believe this city is beyond saving. Moderator cut: Trolling
Once I was in a business trip in Madrid, and a fellow Cuban recognized my accent and asked where I lived. I told her that I resided in Miami. She replied back, "oohhh, the Cuban mafia of Miami"....I was so embarrased. That was the last time I told any one I was from Miami. After that I only said that I was from FL.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:23 AM

7 posts, read 13,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
FYI...I am Cuban from NJ moved to the Triangle of NC two years ago. I have a Cuban meet-up group with 150 families. Last week we had a very successful Caribbean festival with the Puerto Rican and Domincan groups. The area is diverse (people from all over the world) very educated (highest PHD concentration in the US) and very friendly. It was very well attended by the locals. Haven't experienced any racism. Almost all the cubans are from Miami and have adapted really well. It's beautiful and the weather is great.

btw, the Miami Cubans in NC seem to be running from Miami and in no way trying to recreate it...
Good, insightful post from someone who lives in that area. Big difference between the two areas. Glad you're happy up there, enjoy it!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:15 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
And to think that I was born and raised in Miami and people always ask me where I am from. Most think I am from the midwest...wierd!!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:57 AM

16 posts, read 17,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Once I was in a business trip in Madrid, and a fellow Cuban recognized my accent and asked where I lived. I told her that I resided in Miami. She replied back, "oohhh, the Cuban mafia of Miami"....I was so embarrased. That was the last time I told any one I was from Miami. After that I only said that I was from FL.
LOL, that's crazy. Miami's reputation clearly travels well!

Old 09-29-2009, 12:00 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
^^^It depends on the audience. For some people they are like wow Miami, and then for others the response is Ohhh, I am sorry. So it depends who you are talking with.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:20 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
And to think that I was born and raised in Miami and people always ask me where I am from. Most think I am from the midwest...wierd!!
Most of my neighbors on Brickell used to call me "the American"....

I don't know how much longer this city can trudge ahead when most of its inhabitants are green card holders or asylum seekers...Scary

Old 09-29-2009, 02:41 PM

156 posts, read 252,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
----

Spain is packed with pioneritos. Castroites. They are here on P.E.R (they married a foreigner) and they are confidents of the government. They are low lifes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami