Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:59 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,308,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
That's my point, threads like these are very condescending and arrogant even if it's not the intended result. Maybe if they posted it in the NC forum than that would be totally appropriate because that's where there going. But posting it on this forum is just arrogant.
how is it condescending and arrogant? The guy is happy to be leaving, I say to him salut and best of luck.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:08 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,800,341 times
Read the last sentence from the OP. Are some of the posters jealous? I'm sure, but it looks like that statement was promoting it. I'm definitely not jealous, I know that much. Maybe if there were moving to Asheville or Chapel Hill, but it's more probable that they are moving to some new subdivision full of cheaply built wood frame homes with weekly home invasion robberies that people pretend they don't know about and a four mile drive down some overcrowded two lane road to get groceries. I don't see the advantage of being able to visit five (smaller) states, that's the most ridiculous gimmick I have ever heard and sounds a lot better on paper than it really is. You could break Florida into five pieces too and it would be "five states". NC, VA GA and TN share the same mountains, NC, SC and VA share the same coastal plain, etc although there is more variation in terrain within 10 hours of most areas in NC. I also really really hope they aren't foregoing flood and windstorm insurance...

Last edited by compelled to reply; 05-15-2008 at 11:16 AM..

Old 05-15-2008, 11:45 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,623,215 times
Quote:
Read the last sentence from the OP. Are some of the posters jealous? I'm sure, but it looks like that statement was promoting it. I'm definitely not jealous, I know that much. Maybe if there were moving to Asheville or Chapel Hill, but it's more probable that they are moving to some new subdivision full of cheaply built wood frame homes with weekly home invasion robberies that people pretend they don't know about and a four mile drive down some overcrowded two lane road to get groceries. I don't see the advantage of being able to visit five (smaller) states, that's the most ridiculous gimmick I have ever heard and sounds a lot better on paper than it really is. You could break Florida into five pieces too and it would be "five states". NC, VA GA and TN share the same mountains, NC, SC and VA share the same coastal plain, etc although there is more variation in terrain within 10 hours of most areas in NC. I also really really hope they aren't foregoing flood and windstorm insurance...
Don't have a coronary over this one, compelled! It's just not worth it! We need you happy and healthy in this forum!

Please provide a link to the "weekly home invastion robberies," because I have not heard about them and would like to know where they are happening.

Also, you can't really argue with the driving and being in other states thing. In the same time it takes to drive from Miami to Gainesville, FL, you can drive from Raleigh to DC, or to Atlanta. In less than that time you could be in Charleston, SC, and in the time it takes to drive from Miami to the FL/GA line, you could be in Nashville, TN.

Yeah, the OP's post was probably just intending to incite exactly what it did, and the last sentence isn't really necessary. However, you can't say that he is complaining about the rude people, blah blah blah. He sounds like he just wants a lower cost of living to be able to live the life he wants. Wouldn't any of you move somewhere to a place where you could have the life you wanted if you weren't able to make it happen where you are? If he has been in S FL for 47 years (a lot longer than many of us on this board, partly because some of us haven't been alive that long), I think he has definitely given it a chance, and now he just wants something that the area no longer is able to give him.

Shame he didn't post over in the NC forum, he definitely would have gotten a warm welcome. Not because of "bashing" S FL, but because he is making a positive change for himself.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:49 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,800,341 times
You live in Raleigh where it's very safe. I was talking about Charlotte and Greensboro. Carjacking is big in Charlotte too.

home invasion charlotte nc - Google News
home invasion ft lauderdale - Google News (they live in Weston not Miami so they even posted on the wrong Florida forum).

Crime in Charlotte, NC

A lot of these crimes are happening in "good areas". The police blotter for the Broward cities (even nasty ones like Dania and Pembroke Park) in the Miami Herald looks downright bland compared to that. You still don't really have a lot of carjackings or home invasions. They happen, but it's not something that's very common at all.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 05-15-2008 at 12:00 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 12:32 PM

518 posts, read 2,219,267 times
I'm trying to "retire" (for about the 100th time) from posting, but what I've seen on this thread has moved me to respond.

First, it's possible the OP simply is genuinely happy to moving to a place where he/she believes there's an opportunity for a better life. If that's the case and the only motivation behind your post, I say best of luck, I'm happy for you, and I hope North Carolina works out. Enjoy the state's charm and natural beauty. I, for one, treasure the time we've spent in western North Carolina.

But the tone of the closing line does seem to indicate a putdown of those who, for whatever reason, are staying here. It had sort of a "So long, suckers!" edge to it. Maybe that's not what was intended, but that's how it came out, and it's understandable that some would interpret it that way.

As hard as it is to believe, many people -- intelligent, talented, caring people who could live and succeed anywhere -- do love it here, despite the area's warts, and take umbrage when you criticize the area, or their reasons for staying in an area. And that goes for every place I've ever lived (including places with horrid winters, 20 percent umemployment and a generally ramshackle look and feel).

Finally (and probably off-topic), I'd also say that while South Florida is down and North Carolina is up right now, who knows what will happen long-term? North Carolina is adding population at a rapid rate and will soon be dealing with major growth issues, if it isn't already. Will it be as desirable 5, 10, 20 years from now? How the state manages its growth will tell the story. You might someday hear reports about people bailing out of North Carolina and moving to Arkansas or West Virginia or some other unspoiled place that attains trendiness. And maybe South Florida will have overcome some of its problems by then. If anyone has a crystal ball that can accurately predict these things, please take me along next time you go to Vegas!

Last edited by chisoxfan; 05-15-2008 at 12:41 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,117,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Don't have a coronary over this one, compelled! It's just not worth it! We need you happy and healthy in this forum!

Please provide a link to the "weekly home invastion robberies," because I have not heard about them and would like to know where they are happening.

Also, you can't really argue with the driving and being in other states thing. In the same time it takes to drive from Miami to Gainesville, FL, you can drive from Raleigh to DC, or to Atlanta. In less than that time you could be in Charleston, SC, and in the time it takes to drive from Miami to the FL/GA line, you could be in Nashville, TN.

Yeah, the OP's post was probably just intending to incite exactly what it did, and the last sentence isn't really necessary. However, you can't say that he is complaining about the rude people, blah blah blah. He sounds like he just wants a lower cost of living to be able to live the life he wants. Wouldn't any of you move somewhere to a place where you could have the life you wanted if you weren't able to make it happen where you are? If he has been in S FL for 47 years (a lot longer than many of us on this board, partly because some of us haven't been alive that long), I think he has definitely given it a chance, and now he just wants something that the area no longer is able to give him.

Shame he didn't post over in the NC forum, he definitely would have gotten a warm welcome. Not because of "bashing" S FL, but because he is making a positive change for himself.
Inasfar as the home invasions....if you hang around the NC forum, it's all over the place. If you subscribe to "the observer" on line, it's all over the paper every day. If you have any friends in NC, they will corroborate all these things.

Unfortunately, NC was "the" hot spot a few years ago when the Florida, California and Northeast bubble was at its peak and people cashed out, went to NC and got mega acres with mini Mcmansions on it for $200K or so.

It ain't so any more. North Carolina is now dealing with all the growing pains that come along with major numbers of transplants. It's not easy to get a job, it's not REALLY any cheaper there than anywhere else once your extra stash of cash is gone, worse if you didn't have one to begin with.

The OP may be thrilled he's getting out of Florida. I just hope he stays thrilled after a few months in NC and hope that he got all his ducks lined up perfectly before leaving.

I don't have a jealous hair in my body about what he's doing because I am quite content in Miami myself. I don't need to leave Florida nor do I plan to leave Florida.

I totally agree that his post would have been much more welcomed in the NC forum.

Last edited by vpcats; 05-15-2008 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-15-2008, 01:36 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,117,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
I'm trying to "retire" (for about the 100th time) from posting, but what I've seen on this thread has moved me to respond.

First, it's possible the OP simply is genuinely happy to moving to a place where he/she believes there's an opportunity for a better life. If that's the case and the only motivation behind your post, I say best of luck, I'm happy for you, and I hope North Carolina works out. Enjoy the state's charm and natural beauty. I, for one, treasure the time we've spent in western North Carolina.

But the tone of the closing line does seem to indicate a putdown of those who, for whatever reason, are staying here. It had sort of a "So long, suckers!" edge to it. Maybe that's not what was intended, but that's how it came out, and it's understandable that some would interpret it that way.

As hard as it is to believe, many people -- intelligent, talented, caring people who could live and succeed anywhere -- do love it here, despite the area's warts, and take umbrage when you criticize the area, or their reasons for staying in an area. And that goes for every place I've ever lived (including places with horrid winters, 20 percent umemployment and a generally ramshackle look and feel).

Finally (and probably off-topic), I'd also say that while South Florida is down and North Carolina is up right now, who knows what will happen long-term? North Carolina is adding population at a rapid rate and will soon be dealing with major growth issues, if it isn't already. Will it be as desirable 5, 10, 20 years from now? How the state manages its growth will tell the story. You might someday hear reports about people bailing out of North Carolina and moving to Arkansas or West Virginia or some other unspoiled place that attains trendiness. And maybe South Florida will have overcome some of its problems by then. If anyone has a crystal ball that can accurately predict these things, please take me along next time you go to Vegas!

I just posted before reading yours Chisox. I think we are thinking fairly alike but you said it better.

I was in Vegas last week. Didn't have a shred of inkling about NC. Sorry. Maybe next time.

(while here in Miami though, I have one of those female premonitions that NC is going to be just as bad a headache as Miami is for those who hate Miami, or even any part of Florida).

Last edited by vpcats; 05-15-2008 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-15-2008, 02:08 PM

294 posts, read 1,145,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
Well, after 47 years living in South Florida (Miami, Marathon and now Weston), we are finally moving tomorrow to North Carolina. The movers took our stuff today, and we leave tomorrow at 1 PM. I cant think of a single thing I will miss, my Wife will miss the Cuban food. Our new home is more than double the size of where we live now, with a 1/2 acre lot. My insurances all went down by at least 50% (Auto went down 65%)! No wind storm insurance! No flood insurance! It was 50 degrees this AM! I can speak English in any restaurant I go to! I wont have the AC runnning this coming X-mas (or Halloween for that matter)! Instead of travelling 8 hours to get out of the State, I could be through my 5th State in that same time! Still only 7 hours to Disney, and only 5 to DC and 12 to NYC!
Good luck to those of you still sticking it out down here in "Paradise"!
To the defense of OP, I know what it's like to hate a place and feel the need to move on to 'greener pastures'. I don't think the OP was 'dissing' us in Miami per se, but rather himself and his situation and all the things that made him miserable here. He was venting. I hope that he finds happiness in NC, much in the same way I and my wife found happiness here in Miami. Looking back at my situation, I kind of regret all the nasty things I said about the place I left, and even sometimes look back with nostalgia. Perhaps the OP will do the same?

Old 05-15-2008, 02:16 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,284,386 times
Quote:
That's my point, threads like these are very condescending and arrogant even if it's not the intended result. Maybe if they posted it in the NC forum than that would be totally appropriate because that's where there going. But posting it on this forum is just arrogant.
I find the post inspiring and uplifting. Many readers on this forum are in situations where they (we) can not get out of Miami right now but it is reasuring to read of some who do get out. It's like hearing that the guy two cells down from you made it over the wall. It shows there is hope that one day we can all escape. (Of course I don't want all you Miami people moving into my new neighborhood)

Old 05-15-2008, 03:33 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,378,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Maybe not. From what my parents in Miami tell me, if they were to sell the house they have lived in for 30+ years and own outright, and buy a new one somewhere else in FL, their property taxes will skyrocket to a level that, as retirees, they would not be able to afford.
So true, my parents want to move to the Villages in north florida. If they did they would be downsizes in the size of the property and size of the house. But their taxes would double if not triple for a house a third the size of what they have now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami