Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 11:19 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,890 times

Advertisements

I'm personally more prone to move as close to the schools and or work. State road 836 which is the main highway into the downtown area and the area close to UM hospital is out west, but close to south Doral or even the Westchester area. Both are decent areas. If the work is close to UM campus, I'd look into City of South Miami or Coral Gables. Coral Gables is a little more expensive. I'd say less crime, but I don't know about the schools. The good thing about Doral is it's central location. During the week, the traffic is hectic due to the many trucks and warehouses. I don't think crime is bad there for the most part, but then again, crime is pretty crappy in all of Miami. You just have to use common sense and stay alert. Like others mentioned, Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay are very nice, but traffic may be a bit worse. They are nicer, more established and more upscale communities in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 07:18 AM

520 posts, read 844,298 times
I can’t edit anymore unfortunately, so I’ll insert additional information here.

He will work in the Allapattah area, University of Miami Hospital.

Our move in date is November.

P.S. I am so disappointed that even there children now have to wear masks in public schools. I thought I was leaving that behind. Isn’t the board of ex defying executive orders? Is Miami turning into NYC lite?!!! Noooo

Old 08-25-2021, 07:34 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
I can’t edit anymore unfortunately, so I’ll insert additional information here.

He will work in the Allapattah area, University of Miami Hospital.

Our move in date is November.

P.S. I am so disappointed that even there children now have to wear masks in public schools. I thought I was leaving that behind. Isn’t the board of ex defying executive orders? Is Miami turning into NYC lite?!!! Noooo
I still like better a commute from Coral Gables than from Aventura. But, as Marc shows, even a condo there right now may be beyond your price point.

If you are dead set again mask wearing, both the State of Florida and Miami-Dade County offer - for about a decade now, way before the pandemic - a full-time online option, that also allows for full participation in extra-curricula activities. You could try that until the delta wave subsides, and switch back to in-person classroom - and start the cycle over again when the next one begins.

Good Luck!

Old 08-25-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2050 View Post
I am also contemplating moving to Miami. I found Aventura to be the most affordable among good neighborhoods. With 4K monthly rental budget I would buy townhouse in Doral as a starting point though. New construction - 300k. More space & not too expensive. You do need space.
Also, for rent, check out 215 park apartments. Hallandale beach. New & super nice.
Thank you for mentioning Doral and 215 Park apartments, the complex is beautiful. I am intrigued by Doral, it's a bit south of Aventura, but probably further away from the beach. I don't know much about the neighborhood by it has a lot of good rental options, it's more of an industrial area as I understand. Don't know the school situation, or the traffic or the safety. Is it very bland?

Would you happen to know anything about it, have you been there?

Old 08-25-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
I personally hated the Aventura traffic more than any other traffic in Miami. Rich people, working class people, young people, foreigners, uber drivers all mixed into one racing to get to/from work.

Schools are great in Aventura, you'll find plenty of rental options in those buildings for you with playgrounds, a great area to walk, shopping is excellent, and not far from the beach.

Coral Gables is the best bet but I think the $4k/mo budget for a home/townhome might be tough. You may have to settle for a condo and right now, only 1 on the market in all of the gables and its $4500 (I went up to $4500 search for you) 1805 Ponce De Leon Blvd # 1210

Nothing for rent in Coconut Grove currently - that will be few and far between. The elementary school you can walk to is actually good, not bad so there's that. Plus its a very cool/trendy place to live.

There are 12+ options in Aventura right now so that may be where you end up. Just make sure he's in the 'hospital district' and not on the UM Campus in the South Gables. If its the latter, the commute will be miserable for him.

nothing in Pinecrest currently and its very far from the beach for you.

1 house for rent currently in Palmetto Bay: 14701 SW 87th Ct

Same though, far from the beach. But a nice area with great schools.

When are you arriving to Miami officially? That could determine availability too.

That is so kind of you to do the search for me, thank you! Aventura is appealing to me for the reasons you have mentioned, yet I keep hearing that traffic is a total nightmare, and that it takes 30 min to get on the highway depending on the congestion. I understand there is that Biscayne Blvd which seems to be the only escape route, which creates jams.

My husband is in Allapattah district, near the UofM Hospital. CG seems to be the closest option. South Miami was suggested, and I think there are good elementary options. Just wondering if it's worth considering as the rentals seem reasonable there as well. Would you happen to know the area and how do I determine which blocks are good and those that are shady?

Palmetto Bay has 4br houses that go for $5200 which is a realistic possibility for us. I guess that's the average. We would definitely chose a house option if it's around that price point, as long as it has a yard and a pool.

We are moving in November, with Delta there probably won't be much of an inventory.

Thanks again!

Old 08-25-2021, 10:19 AM

765 posts, read 2,441,009 times
Check the sticky of neighborhoods at the top of the Miami forum - it's from Jacobmax. It gives EXCELLENT ratings of all the Miami Dade neighborhoods.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I'm personally more prone to move as close to the schools and or work. State road 836 which is the main highway into the downtown area and the area close to UM hospital is out west, but close to south Doral or even the Westchester area. Both are decent areas. If the work is close to UM campus, I'd look into City of South Miami or Coral Gables. Coral Gables is a little more expensive. I'd say less crime, but I don't know about the schools. The good thing about Doral is it's central location. During the week, the traffic is hectic due to the many trucks and warehouses. I don't think crime is bad there for the most part, but then again, crime is pretty crappy in all of Miami. You just have to use common sense and stay alert. Like others mentioned, Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay are very nice, but traffic may be a bit worse. They are nicer, more established and more upscale communities in my opinion.
Palmetto Bay is probably at the top of our list for houses, but then our budget has to go up to $5200, it seems that's the going rate for a 4br there. I am just not sure what parts of South Miami to look at, as I was told it can be seedy. As I understand the crime there is worse than in New York, is that true?

Doral is appealing because of the price, but I don't know what the area feels or looks like.

How about Ojus?

Old 08-25-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I still like better a commute from Coral Gables than from Aventura. But, as Marc shows, even a condo there right now may be beyond your price point.

If you are dead set again mask wearing, both the State of Florida and Miami-Dade County offer - for about a decade now, way before the pandemic - a full-time online option, that also allows for full participation in extra-curricula activities. You could try that until the delta wave subsides, and switch back to in-person classroom - and start the cycle over again when the next one begins.

Good Luck!
What do you mean by full participation in extra curricular activities? Not a fan of computer based learning for little kids and not a fan of masks for little kids. Tough luck I guess. Hopefully they will figure it out, because if we keep having variant and waves, kids will just grow up wearing masks all the time... But I digress...

Do you happen to know much about Ojus or Doral?

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2021, 10:44 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
What do you mean by full participation in extra curricular activities? Not a fan of computer based learning for little kids and not a fan of masks for little kids. Tough luck I guess. Hopefully they will figure it out, because if we keep having variant and waves, kids will just grow up wearing masks all the time... But I digress...

Do you happen to know much about Ojus or Doral?

Thanks!
You can always home school. Use the online options as much or as little as you prefer. No masks needed in your home.

Miami-Dade County Homeschooling FL

Old 08-25-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
You can always home school. Use the online options as much or as little as you prefer. No masks needed in your home.

Miami-Dade County Homeschooling FL
This is what I have been doing, but I was hoping kids can go in person there. Well, that's life now.

Thanks so much for the information, very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami