Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 07:48 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times

Advertisements

This includes sheltered and unsheltered.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/miami.c...decline/%3famp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 08:31 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,465 times
Great news!

Old 09-25-2021, 08:54 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,658,174 times
I highly doubt this, considering Miami (and Florida in general) are great when it comes to marketing and hiding numbers that will hurt their reputation. Furthermore, it does not include hidden homelessness (i.e those without a permanent household, those who couch surf, etc..). And of course, inequality in Miami is skyrocketing, which means the amount of low-income people will only increase. Add the lack of social services in the United States and more people will fall through the cracks. So I can guarantee that figure is much higher than reported, probably double if I had to guess.

Old 09-26-2021, 12:40 AM

Do you have other official stats to back up your claim rather than “guessing”?

As for “hidden” homeless, out of sight = out of mind. Having lived in other areas of the country where homelessness IS a much larger, more visible and major crisis (West Coast in particular) the situation in Miami is a small blip on the radar in comparison and I find no reason to doubt the Miami data or claims.

https://www.miamidade.gov/performanc...less-trust.pdf

https://housingtrustfundproject.org/...less-Trust.pdf

Year-round warm weather oceanfront cosmopolitan cities with urban rich amenities are in rare supply (LA being the only other one in the entire US), so it’s no surprise this desirability attracts well to do from around the globe who are willing to pay a premium to live here that results in higher prices. Supply and Demand, Economics 101. As for inequality, it happens in more affordable, lower COL cities as well—in fact, Atlanta (often cited on CD as one of the best job creation meccas in the country) has the highest income inequality in the US of all major cities. Life’s a b*tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I highly doubt this, considering Miami (and Florida in general) are great when it comes to marketing and hiding numbers that will hurt their reputation. Furthermore, it does not include hidden homelessness (i.e those without a permanent household, those who couch surf, etc..). And of course, inequality in Miami is skyrocketing, which means the amount of low-income people will only increase. Add the lack of social services in the United States and more people will fall through the cracks. So I can guarantee that figure is much higher than reported, probably double if I had to guess.

Last edited by elchevere; 09-26-2021 at 01:00 AM..

Old 09-26-2021, 12:49 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
This includes sheltered and unsheltered.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/miami.c...decline/%3famp
Yeah, they all moved to the West Coast where they are enabled.

Old 09-26-2021, 12:54 AM

Many cities “solve” their problem by sending homeless to other cities (especially West Coast) via one way bus ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yeah, they all moved to the West Coast where they are enabled.

Old 09-26-2021, 02:51 PM

729 posts, read 1,300,809 times
Quote:
As if the eyes of America holds Florida (Miami) in high regards to begin with. Ironically, that still hasn't stopped people from coming has it?

Old 09-27-2021, 06:58 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,465 times
Quote:
I highly doubt this, considering Miami (and Florida in general) are great when it comes to marketing and hiding numbers that will hurt their reputation.
Marketing can't hide the homeless. Just go to any West Coast city and drive around. The homeless are everywhere. Then drive around Miami. The difference is like night and day.

In Los Angeles, even wealthy beachfront homeowners have to deal with bums dropping needles and poo outside their homes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ghborhood.html

Miami is doing something right.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:50 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post

Miami is doing something right.
What is Miami doing that other places are not? How come other places don’t exercise these measures?

I have actually seen more homeless people, as in new faces, all the way out there in West Kendall ( when I used to live there).

Only 5 years ago the homeless/ street people in West Kendall were a few that everyone knew in the area.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:04 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Marketing can't hide the homeless. .
But undercounting can, especially if volunteers with no substantial training are the ones doing the counting. And for those who like to repeat “numbers are numbers”, “data is data”, etc… well, there is also “framing.” I would not scratch the marketing theory off either. I personally believe, for a city that’s just starting to develop and just getting its foot on international interest/money (beyond LATAM and Latin Europe), news like these are great news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami